Spoilers STAR TREK BEYOND - Grading & Discussion

Grade the movie...

• Total voters
Jaylah's story shows that Eddison and his people have been pirating passing ships for a long time. Eddison just used the vampire tech on a shipfull of aliens that looked like that and so he turned into one, visually. He probably went through at least a few different faces over the 100+ years they were out there.

Ah....... OK I was thinking it was a holdover or such from the race that invented the tech he found..

Didn't love it, certainly didn't hate it. The ending was underwhelming. Was it just me or my audio setup, but did anyone else have trouble picking up on the dialogue?

Saw it on bluray again, second time seeing the movie. Still loved, still stands strong. Just such good humor and action, but so much more than that for me. Wasn't afraid to be a OTT when it could. Loved the character dynamics. All in all, this could have been a good last outing for the Kelvin timeline movies.

Finally saw "Beyond" yesterday for the first time!
I was ...whelmed. Neither under- nor over-. It was pretty okay. Out of the three nuKelvin-movies it was the one that most felt like an episode of Star Trek, both positively and negatively.

The character interaction was great, the vfx superb, almost every line a (subtle!) nod to something Trek. On the other hand the plot was a bit hollow, everything felt rather small and episodic and clichéd. It had the same problem as the Voyager-two-parter "basics" where the crew was stranded on a planet: It had a premise that lend for an epic tale. Instead it felt like a usual "trapped on a planet after a shuttle-crash" episode.

In the first movie Vulcan was destroyed and the heroes had to save Earth. In the second one the fate of starfleet was in question. And now they had to save... a space station? That's a pretty stark lowering of stakes. Not the fault of this movie though. I'm not yet sure wether Trek09 or Beyond is my favourite of the nuTrek movies.

As a whole I think the nuTrek movies are pretty much on the same quality level as the TNG movies. They have better character interactions, effects, pacing and action. The old ones have better worldbuiling, logical plots and interesting themes. What your favourites are pretty much depends on which of those things are more important for you.

If I had to make a "favourite Trek-movies" list, the first six places would be the original TOS-crew movies (yes, even "Final Frontier", nostalgia is one hell of a drug). And for the places 7-13 it would be the TNG-movies and the Kelvin-movies alternating. Maybe First Contact-Trek09-Insurrection-Beyond-Generations-Into Darkness-Nemesis? With the exceptions of Nemesis and Into Darkness (which I both loathe) all of them could be arranged in any other sequence depending on my mood at the moment though.

Last edited:
Not likely, ST4 is a go.

Beyond is extremely rewatchable. Watching on my new 65" 4k, there is an amazing amount of detail.

Saw it on bluray again, second time seeing the movie. Still loved, still stands strong. Just such good humor and action, but so much more than that for me. Wasn't afraid to be a OTT when it could. Loved the character dynamics. All in all, this could have been a good last outing for the Kelvin timeline movies.

Not likely, ST4 is a go.

Beyond is extremely rewatchable. Watching on my new 65" 4k, there is an amazing amount of detail.

Oh yes, I heard part 4 is a go. I ment in hypotheticaly speaking. As in, if no more Kelvin timeline movies were to be made, this would have been a good final movie.

Although the new timeline makes me sad, of course, I'll re-watch it... I do all the movies, regardless of how great I think they were. The action in the film was excellent and I agree with RAMA that the details are splendid... but did anyone else think that Krall looked a lot like Megatron? Maybe it's just me.

Although the new timeline makes me sad, of course, I'll re-watch it... I do all the movies, regardless of how great I think they were.

Do you marathon them or something? I've never done that (although I do go through Star Wars in order annually).

The action in the film was excellent and I agree with RAMA that the details are splendid... but did anyone else think that Krall looked a lot like Megatron? Maybe it's just me.

I actually though he was a reboot version of a Jem'Hadar at first. Granted he didn't look exactly like a Jem'Hadar, but the reboot Klingons didn't look like much like Klingons, either.

^^ Well, yes. Generally, I'll watch them in order over the same number of days... but sometimes on Sundays watch two or three. Then I'll take a break for a while. However, I watch TOS almost every night. ;-)

And, yes... not really like Jem'Hadar or Megatron exactly... more like a resemblance (both are close, I think).

Do you marathon them or something? I've never done that (although I do go through Star Wars in order annually).

I actually though he was a reboot version of a Jem'Hadar at first. Granted he didn't look exactly like a Jem'Hadar, but the reboot Klingons didn't look like much like Klingons, either.
I would have been so mad if it had been the Jem'Hadar. Ridiculous idea.

Also, I thought the Klingon in ST ID was very similar to General Chang, so I didn't have a problem with them. :shrug:

I would have been so mad if it had been the Jem'Hadar. Ridiculous idea.

You and me both.

Also, I thought the Klingon in ST ID was very similar to General Chang, so I didn't have a problem with them. :shrug:

It's possible that the fact that the Klingon was bald bay have thrown the look off, since they tend to have long hair and beards. However, the pointed ears were not good IMHO. The whole getup looked more like a Lord of the Rings Orc, so that didn't help.

I did like the idea of ridge piercings.

You and me both.

It's possible that the fact that the Klingon was bald bay have thrown the look off, since they tend to have long hair and beards. However, the pointed ears were not good IMHO. The whole getup looked more like a Lord of the Rings Orc, so that didn't help.

I did like the idea of ridge piercings.
Not sure which Orc looked like that, so I'm afraid I don't follow. The pointed ears were a minor quibble for me.

I took it as more of a local security detachment than the full military, so the differences didn't bother me as much.

I just haven't had that yearning to rewatch Beyond since watching it when it first came out on Blu. The other two seemed to be on a constant loop in my house during the months after releasing on home video.

I'll take your word for it. My copy is still sealed in the shrinkwrap.

I watched on Blu-Ray first time since cinema, expecting to be disappointed/nit-picking.

Nah...it's still for me the most fun/watchable of the reboot movies.

Back