Spoilers STAR TREK BEYOND - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Commander Richard, Jun 29, 2016.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

15.3%
  2. A

26.9%
  3. A-

20.7%
  4. B+

15.1%
  5. B

7.4%
  6. B-

4.6%
  7. C+

3.3%
  8. C

1.6%
  9. C-

1.8%
  10. D+

0.8%
  11. D

0.3%
  12. D-

0.5%
  13. F

1.6%
  1. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Ah....... OK I was thinking it was a holdover or such from the race that invented the tech he found..

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

More a "You are who you eat" sort of thing.

BillJ likes this.
  3. jmiller

jmiller Lieutenant Red Shirt

Didn't love it, certainly didn't hate it. The ending was underwhelming. Was it just me or my audio setup, but did anyone else have trouble picking up on the dialogue?

4. WebLurker

WebLurker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not that I recall.

5. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saw it on bluray again, second time seeing the movie. Still loved, still stands strong. Just such good humor and action, but so much more than that for me. Wasn't afraid to be a OTT when it could. Loved the character dynamics. All in all, this could have been a good last outing for the Kelvin timeline movies.

RAMA likes this.
  6. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally saw "Beyond" yesterday for the first time!
    I was ...whelmed. Neither under- nor over-. It was pretty okay. Out of the three nuKelvin-movies it was the one that most felt like an episode of Star Trek, both positively and negatively.

The character interaction was great, the vfx superb, almost every line a (subtle!) nod to something Trek. On the other hand the plot was a bit hollow, everything felt rather small and episodic and clich├ęd. It had the same problem as the Voyager-two-parter "basics" where the crew was stranded on a planet: It had a premise that lend for an epic tale. Instead it felt like a usual "trapped on a planet after a shuttle-crash" episode.

In the first movie Vulcan was destroyed and the heroes had to save Earth. In the second one the fate of starfleet was in question. And now they had to save... a space station? That's a pretty stark lowering of stakes. Not the fault of this movie though. I'm not yet sure wether Trek09 or Beyond is my favourite of the nuTrek movies.

As a whole I think the nuTrek movies are pretty much on the same quality level as the TNG movies. They have better character interactions, effects, pacing and action. The old ones have better worldbuiling, logical plots and interesting themes. What your favourites are pretty much depends on which of those things are more important for you.

If I had to make a "favourite Trek-movies" list, the first six places would be the original TOS-crew movies (yes, even "Final Frontier", nostalgia is one hell of a drug). And for the places 7-13 it would be the TNG-movies and the Kelvin-movies alternating. Maybe First Contact-Trek09-Insurrection-Beyond-Generations-Into Darkness-Nemesis? With the exceptions of Nemesis and Into Darkness (which I both loathe) all of them could be arranged in any other sequence depending on my mood at the moment though.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    jaime and geotrek like this.
  7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Not likely, ST4 is a go.

Beyond is extremely rewatchable. Watching on my new 65" 4k, there is an amazing amount of detail.

8. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh yes, I heard part 4 is a go. I ment in hypotheticaly speaking. As in, if no more Kelvin timeline movies were to be made, this would have been a good final movie.

9. geotrek

geotrek Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Although the new timeline makes me sad, of course, I'll re-watch it... I do all the movies, regardless of how great I think they were. The action in the film was excellent and I agree with RAMA that the details are splendid... but did anyone else think that Krall looked a lot like Megatron? Maybe it's just me.

10. WebLurker

Do you marathon them or something? I've never done that (although I do go through Star Wars in order annually).

I actually though he was a reboot version of a Jem'Hadar at first. Granted he didn't look exactly like a Jem'Hadar, but the reboot Klingons didn't look like much like Klingons, either.

geotrek likes this.
  11. geotrek

geotrek Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^^ Well, yes. Generally, I'll watch them in order over the same number of days... but sometimes on Sundays watch two or three. Then I'll take a break for a while. However, I watch TOS almost every night. ;-)

And, yes... not really like Jem'Hadar or Megatron exactly... more like a resemblance (both are close, I think).

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would have been so mad if it had been the Jem'Hadar. Ridiculous idea.

Also, I thought the Klingon in ST ID was very similar to General Chang, so I didn't have a problem with them. :shrug:

geotrek and Grendelsbayne like this.
  13. WebLurker

You and me both.

It's possible that the fact that the Klingon was bald bay have thrown the look off, since they tend to have long hair and beards. However, the pointed ears were not good IMHO. The whole getup looked more like a Lord of the Rings Orc, so that didn't help.

I did like the idea of ridge piercings.

14. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

For all you know, Worf has pointed ears. :)

15. fireproof78

Not sure which Orc looked like that, so I'm afraid I don't follow. The pointed ears were a minor quibble for me.

I took it as more of a local security detachment than the full military, so the differences didn't bother me as much.

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'll take your word for it. My copy is still sealed in the shrinkwrap.

17. WebLurker

Not a specific one. That's just the best comparison I can think of.

The costumes and role in the story were okay.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I just haven't had that yearning to rewatch Beyond since watching it when it first came out on Blu. The other two seemed to be on a constant loop in my house during the months after releasing on home video.

19. fireproof78

Sorry, it feels like a poor comparison to me. I did a quick picture look up and found a couple that kind of sort of feel like Klingons in their look, but for the most part they are more bestial in appearance.
    Here is the a comparison of Klingons across the films and shows.

20. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I watched on Blu-Ray first time since cinema, expecting to be disappointed/nit-picking.

Nah...it's still for me the most fun/watchable of the reboot movies.