Spoilers Star Trek Beyond: Errors, Goofs, Inconsistencies

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by starfox, Jul 29, 2016.

1. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The photo in Beyond was from TFF, this one.

2. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm gonna go with Timo's explanation: that maybe Jaylah had moved/used it prior to the scene. Everything on the Franklin was at her disposal.

As for what it was doing there, I'm willing to bet it's captain's prerogative and that's all the reason they would need, just as much as Picard with his saddle or the Argo, or Sulu with his ancient pistol collection; besides, Starfleet officers could go planet-side already by that point for any reason (just ask Archer). Sisko reconstructed an ancient Bajoran sailship just for the fun of it, and that seems to be much more labor intensive than a Starfleet captain with a motorbike. But the story point being of course is that the motorbike was just one of many pieces of obsolete tech that would eventually save all their lives, just like the Franklin and her equipment such as old transporters, phase cannons, radio, etc -- the bike certainly looked far less advanced than Kirk's bike in '09, which was "frictionless" and had no spokes.

I'm no motorcycle expert, but I'm pretty sure that the bike on the Franklin was a 22nd century bike, and thus invented for the movie. So it's a motorcycle of the future, but obviously "aged" by the production crew to make it look 100 years old. Ah, our old future!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  3. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

guess that solves that then, was kinda surprised no one else noticed it.

4. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lots of people noticed it (kinda hard to miss), and it's discussed in the other threads about the movie. ;)

Cyke101 likes this.
  5. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a small and inconsequential thing but how did the Franklin get through the nebula if only the Enteprise's navigational sensors could manage it? I suppose if the Franklin could survive crashing through a mountain and into a massive starbase (sigh) it could survive a few asteroids...

6. Norsehound

Norsehound Captain Captain

Came out of a second viewing... yeah, the only inconsistency I found was fitting all the crew into the Franklin. When the crew is being marched underground we see a large number of them, but the numbers in the pen when Spock and Bones are freeing them could be only a handful.

I mean, without an explanation one could infer that something gruesome happened to them to deplete their numbers. I don't think Krall needs to ingest people daily to stay alive (else he would change faster), but perhaps to arm Aboneth it requires some "sacrifices".

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

"Wormhole displacement"

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  8. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Some stayed behind to be picked up later. Or so says my "head canon".

lawman likes this.
  9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Damn short straw.

10. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kirk hypothesized that the Franklin fell into a wormhole and ended up within range of the nebula. This shows the homework that Jung and Pegg put into it: the movie explains that the Franklin fell into the Gagarin Radiation Belt.

What the movie *doesn't* mention is that this radiation belt is a phenomenon from an episode of Enterprise, and thus was reached by Archer's NX-01 Warp 5 ship. Since the JJPrise could easily travel at Warp 9 and since Yorktown was at the edge of explored space, there's no way the Franklin at Warp 4 could've gotten that far that fast without some help; hence, Kirk's wormhole theory is perhaps the best explanation for the ship getting past the nebula. The JJprise didn't need a wormhole, it had sophisticated enough equipment to do it.

As an aside, for the longest time I felt that Prime universe ships (even before we were calling them Prime and Kelvin timelines) were much too paperthin. Yes, asteroids are dangerous, but these ships routinely take torpedo hits that exceed nuclear bombs. Voyager or E-D crashing to a planet made them look tough, yes, but E-D was taken out by a 20 year old BoP in the same battle.

I thought the JJPrise suffered an even worse fate with the first two movies, since she kept getting her butt kicked rather easily. But the saucer's crash and the Franklin's durability changed my mind about them.

I mean, without an explanation one could infer that something gruesome happened to them to deplete their numbers. I don't think Krall needs to ingest people daily to stay alive (else he would change faster), but perhaps to arm Aboneth it requires some "sacrifices".[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if there were 400 survivors (the crew complement), and Scotty could only beam 20 people at a time, that means he'd need to do 20 separate beam out sessions, and the action moves much too fast to seem to accommodate even off-screen beaming. I'm going to hazard a guess that much of the crew died during the battle that destroyed Enterprise. We only see Krall absorb two people and nothing to indicate that he needs to do it daily to sustain himself, so I don't think he kept absorbing crewmen as the movie went on. There was also no indication that the Abronath needed blood sacrifices to charge up (though that would be incredibly morbid for Trek, and to that I say, go for it!).

In any case, it makes the argument that maybe the JJ verse isn't the safest place for Starfleet officers :)

11. Zonker

Zonker Commander Red Shirt

Isn't it obvious why the motorcycle was there? It's obviously the Cheif of Security's pet project to cope with his midlife crisis. In popular Earth culture, the motorcycle was seen as a symbol of independence of spirit, freedom, sexual prowess and rebellion.

David cgc likes this.
  12. Norsehound

I caught that it was Scotty... I think after Kirk mentions where it was lost, or at least after Kirk asks, "How did it end up here?" I remember Scotty's line ending with something like, "So it could have only been wormhole displacement."

Though now it makes me wonder... wormhole displacement like typical DS9 understanding of wormhole, or did the Franklin experience the same kind of engine imbalance that nearly wrecked the Enterprise in The Motion Picture? It IS a re-purposed prototype after all, maybe something got messed up in the refitting.

Likely, but that's still a looooong line of survivors being marched underground. We don't see many of them at the time Keenser sneezes to break the lock, either. Something happened to the Enterprise crew numbers to drastically deplete them if we accept only whats on screen.

13. Norsehound

I figured the motorcycle was just one artifact from someone among the Franklin's crew. Based on the vibes I got out of Enterprise, I'd figure such an early Starfleet exploration venture would be prone to taking these kinds of earth artifacts with them into space. Maybe some crewman's prized motorcycle he wanted to use riding around on a planet somewhere to go exploring.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  14. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I've got one: Presumably Edison was aboard the Franklin when it crashed, and at some point abandoned it in favor of his HQ. So okay, Jaylah subsequently manages to "cloak" the ship, but Edison/Krall already knows where it is, unless he's forgotten at some point, or Jaylah somehow managed to move the ship without attracting any notice, which seems unlikely.

I suppose it could be argued that Edison knew the ship was still there and simply didn't care about it, but that seems a little improbable to me.

This works fine when you don't know that Krall is Edison, but once it's clear he was the captain of the ship...

lawman likes this.
  15. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd try to avoid that alternative, because it's the unlikeliest of artifacts to be taken aboard. I mean, it can't be operated indoors because of its internal combustion engine and lack of space, and the Franklin doesn't seem to offer too many chances to get outdoors. That is, she doesn't appear to have either a shuttlebay or a personnel transporter.

A compact ground excursion vehicle to be used once the ship lands (and she seems quite capable of landing and taking off, Scotty's doubts completely notwithstanding) would make great sense, again especially since there isn't a personnel transporter or an aircraft/spacecraft available.

(Although I'm sure the "cargo transporter" was declared personnel-compatible back in 2151 already, when it was shown that Captain Archer didn't turn into a sperm whale and a bowl of petunias even when beamed from a running start.)

Timo Saloniemi

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has anyone mentioned the Franklin's turbolift shaft, yet? She's got three decks but that shaft goes on to infinity.

17. MFB

MFB Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

And it's very interesting that the shaft has the same hexagonal shape as another turbolift shaft which ist famouse for it's incredible height. ;) So I guess that the Franklin's turbolift shaft is a reference to "The Final Frontier".

F. King Daniel likes this.
  18. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

That ship, to him, is a symbol of the Federations abandonment of him. If he hated the Federation and grew to loathe it even more over the years spent there, it's quite substantially probable that he would begin to resent their ship and gesture and leave it as far away from him as possible with no desire whatsoever to go back.

19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

It's implied to be the TMP kind, given her experimental engines and breaking warp 4 means they were part of the NX program, when a lot of things about high speed warp drive were new and dangerous.

The first Rise of the Federation novel has a newly upgraded warp 5 capable Intrepid Class (the NV) suffer the same thing during her first warp 5+ test run, sending it into the atmosphere of a gas giant not so many lightyears away.

Also initiating first contact with the species that would send the whale probe over a century later

20. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It works fine both ways. There's no reason for him to care about that ship at all. If he knew people were trying to use it to escape, then, yes, he would care, but since all he knows is that there's a ship buried under the mountain (which theoretically probably shouldn't ever fly again, anyway), there's nothing for him to worry about.

I don't think whether it can be operated on the ship or not has anything to do with it. If one of the crew loves screwing around with bikes and has the authority to bring something that big on board, they'll probably do it whether they'll have a chance to actually use the bike or not.

Also, the fact that the Franklin doesn't have either a personnel transporter or a visible shuttlebay is probably the real error here. Sending a ship out with absolutely no means of reaching the surface of a planet is just dumb. Probably the ship is intended to have at least 1 shuttle somewhere, but for some reason that wasn't taken into account in designing the ship's appearance.