"Star Trek Begins" - The 'Origins' Film Discussion

They could do so many new stories instead, as I'm knackered by prequels in general. One positive I forsee is that this can't possibly rely on Spock/Kirk bait to make get the fans onboard. Maybe we'll catch a glimpse of the Phoenix in the Smithsonian?

It'll have to be a new cast in post-2063 setting, probably circa 2100s, and I'm all for seeing a new crew.

It’ll be 2063 in real time when this movie is actually in the theaters.

*sighs*
I was gonna start a new thread after today's announcement but is anyone tired of "reboots" by now?
Like producers, writers and directors have no idea what the fans want but are just cyclical in a set time (2100s-2200s) for Star Trek.
Dunno really how much longer fans can take these news, its tiresome.

If you can’t get Chris Pine and co back under a sustainable budget, I feel like the most obvious course of action for a Star Trek film would be to make a TNG film set in the Kelvin universe. THAT would at least stir up a lot of discussion all over the place. Make even bigger waves by hiring Tom Hardy as Picard, because to hell with everything! If I was a hack movie producer, this is exactly what I would pitch to a studio wanting to revive the Trek brand in cinema.

Instead, we’re getting a prequel to ENTERPRISE by the guy who ran one franchise into the ground two times??

77214bc7-4e45-4313-94d8-56ac9d112fb1_text.gif

We have news! Simon Kinberg "in talks" to produce.

The movie project is expected to be set "decades" before the 2009 Movie. It is said to show the creation of Starfleet and First Contact with alien life!​

https://x.com/TheTrekCentral/status/1792959068618752508

Sounds like a full-on reboot to me, or at least a Kelvinverse version of First Contact/ENT.
So... the guy that fucked up adapting Dark Phoenix not once, but twice, wants to take a crack at redoing First Contact?

8kx9r1.gif

If some can accept the failures of Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman, Simon Kinberg is fine. No doubt he's dropped the ball many times, but also produced Deadpool, X-Men Days of Future Past and wrote it, First Class (my favorite) and Logan.

At the very least, he's Kurtzman-level.

Hopefully Toby Haynes can elevate this.

If some can accept the failures of Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman, Simon Kinberg is fine. No doubt he's dropped the ball many times, but also produced Deadpool, X-Men Days of Future Past and wrote it, First Class (my favorite) and Logan.

At the very least, he's Kurtzman-level.

Hopefully Toby Haynes can elevate this.
Kinberg fucked up adapting Dark Phoenix not once, but twice. That's a special level of failure.

Kinberg Tuesday - such a huge day for Trek, for Paramount, for America, for the planet.

think I'll be compiling Top 10 Moments of Kinbergian Cinema to celebrate; a sample:

Kinberg fucked up adapting Dark Phoenix not once, but twice. That's a special level of failure.

Kurtzman sunk two cinematic universes before the Nu Trek streaming verse. All things relative.

Kinberg was probably the best Paramount could afford at this point.

Kinberg Tuesday - such a huge day for Trek, for Paramount, for America, for the planet.

think I'll be compiling Top 10 Moments of Kinbergian Cinema to celebrate; a sample:
A phrase that although goofy became somewhat iconic and permeated pop culture a little? Trek could use that.

Back