"Star Trek Begins" - The 'Origins' Film Discussion

The only way I see something like this working is if they declare it a hard reboot of the entire franchise, decide which era they want to 'begin' in, and go from there with either 'classic' characters rebooted, or new characters.

Honestly, I don't see it as necessary, or anything anyone is asking for. Trek has been trying to recapture the 'lightning in a bottle' for almost two generations now, and nobody has ever really gotten there, except a few brief moments with TNG and DS9.

The only way I see something like this working is if they declare it a hard reboot of the entire franchise, decide which era they want to 'begin' in, and go from there with either 'classic' characters rebooted, or new characters.

Honestly, I don't see it as necessary, or anything anyone is asking for. Trek has been trying to recapture the 'lightning in a bottle' for almost two generations now, and nobody has ever really gotten there, except a few brief moments with TNG and DS9.

Reboots, for the most part, have short shelf lives.
Once you "reboot" something, it rarely (if ever) continues on longer than the original ever did.
It would be better to manage expectations and try to slowly grow an audience with quality productions. Of course, that would require patience, and few of the higher ups seem to have that.

Something that focused less on the war and more on the birth of the Federation could be interesting. Could make it a sorta futuristic Jack Ryan or Mission Impossible type film with something or someone plotting to stop the formation of the Federation, or kill it in its infancy.

That could work.....

Perhaps several enemy races form their own alliance to stamp out the Coalition of Planets :biggrin:

Once you "reboot" something, it rarely (if ever) continues on longer than the original ever did.
The only exceptions to this are when you're rebooting a previous adaptation of something else. The Netflix A Series Of Unfortunate Events show was much more successful and covered more than the movie ever did. But that doesn't really apply here. When you're rebooting something in the same medium as the original, it rarely succeeds. The only real exception I can think of is Battlestar Galactica.

The vast majority of people this movie will be marketed toward have never heard of the Romulan War. It's not about them caring about it ahead of time. If the fillmmakers (and trailer makers) do their jobs well, people will just see what looks like an exciting action-adventure.

Personally, I would set it at the very end of the war, with Earth on the ropes, and focus on a last-ditch, clandestine mission into enemy territory that sets up the final battle. Maybe while one main character does that, have another main character work on convincing the Vulcans, Andorians and Tellarites (who have remained neutral through most of the war for various reasons) to join Earth in this one huge offensive that ends the Romulan threat, and the movie ends with these four species creating the Federation and a new era of optimism. It's a very simple story that can easily be told within 2-2.5 hours.

I wouldn't even mention the Coalition of Planets. Or, if I had to, I'd suggest that it collapsed before it could officially begin due to Romulan influence. But even then I wouldn't waste much time on it.

A Star Trek origins movie will be a reboot of ST09. Nothing else will sell to a mass audience. No Romulan War, no founding of the Federation, etc... Get ready for Kirk and Spock friendship starting, AGAIN. Maybe David Cronenberg's character can mention this branching timeline too before Discovery ends....

It would be better to manage expectations and try to slowly grow an audience with quality productions. Of course, that would require patience, and few of the higher ups seem to have that.

Now you have me trying to think of examples.
I was going to say Hawaii 5-0, but the new series lasted 11 seasons vs the original's 12. still impressive.
The Flash doesn't count because they are both adaptations of the comic.
Battlestar Galactica ran way longer in the reboot, that's the only clear cut example I can think of.

Now you have me trying to think of examples.
I was going to say Hawaii 5-0, but the new series lasted 11 seasons vs the original's 12. still impressive.
The Flash doesn't count because they are both adaptations of the comic.
Battlestar Galactica ran way longer in the reboot, that's the only clear cut example I can think of.

Yeah, I was thinking about that myself when I posted that. I knew there might be a few I didn't remember or didn't know about, but I can spout off quite a few from the top of my head that did NOT succeed.
BSG is quite the outlier, though.

A Star Trek origins movie will be a reboot of ST09. Nothing else will sell to a mass audience. No Romulan War, no founding of the Federation, etc... Get ready for Kirk and Spock friendship starting, AGAIN. Maybe David Cronenberg's character can mention this branching timeline too before Discovery ends....

This has probably been inevitable since Beyond flopped at the box office and it became clear that the Kelvin cast were beyond any possible budget for a sequel to it.

They'll probably brand it "prime" to shut the fans up but the movie itself will likely try to have it both ways (i.e. "visual reboot") like the current shows have done. Also I could see them avoid the time travel shenanigans too since that only existed to (awkwardly) fit the movie into the same continuity as the past shows. Discovery has shown that most will get past changes to the visuals and continuity in any case.

Nobody other than the people that post here give a flying fuck about the Romulan War. That’s not how you get casual moviegoers’ asses in theater seats.

And as for the movie itself? I’ll believe it when I see an actual trailer for it. Barring that, it’s just Paramount crying the proverbial wolf again.

Michelle Yeoh wins Romulan War.

The movie project is expected to be set "decades" before the 2009 Movie. It is said to show the creation of Starfleet and First Contact with alien life!​
A Star Trek origins movie will be a reboot of ST09. Nothing else will sell to a mass audience. No Romulan War, no founding of the Federation, etc...

I stand by my statement. This will flop harder than Ishtar. Frankly, if this is produced anywhere, it should be as a one-off Paramount+ movie like Section 31.

Creation of Starfleet and first contact that Starfleet is involved in? That actually sounds pretty reasonable. Presumably we’re talking about Earth’s Starfleet rather than the later Federation Starfleet, for which further first contacts are great but no longer quite as historic. But a story of Earth putting its Starfleet together, probably under the shadow of Vulcan disapproval, and going out and making a First Contact without Vulcan guidance? Yeah, that’s got dramatic potential. (And it probably fits both Kelvinverse and Prime, too.)

Last edited:
They could do so many new stories instead, as I'm knackered by prequels in general. One positive I forsee is that this can't possibly rely on Spock/Kirk bait to make get the fans onboard. Maybe we'll catch a glimpse of the Phoenix in the Smithsonian?

It'll have to be a new cast in post-2063 setting, probably circa 2100s, and I'm all for seeing a new crew.

Back