Star Trek: Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Linnear, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I seem to recall also that upon completion of the film, Alec is planning to use the sets when they're done to offer acting, producing and directing classes for fan films to parties interested in and willing to pay the money to take said classes).

2. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

Yes, that's also mentioned in the podcast. They will also hold a sci-fi convention at that location so fans can see the sets and meet the principals. Plus they plan other Trek productions and other sci-fi productions.

Alec also mentioned in the podcast that they might film and release some new material before the next fundraiser, so that should be a lot of fun.

3. doubleohfive

There's going to be another fundraiser for Axanar?

4. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

That certainly appeared to be the plan as I understood it. Of course that plan was formulated before the "Prelude" fundraiser blew the roof off. If I understand correctly they covered almost all of their stretch goals, but not quite enough to cover everything for the big show. Anyone with better knowledge is free to confirm, correct or disabuse me.

5. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

Yes, they've been very clear about that for a long time. After the costs of perks and the fees paid to Amazon and Kickstarter, the funds raised won't pay the rent on the facility for three years and fund set construction and the filming of Axanar. They don't mention specifics on the podcast but they do mention that the cast is getting paid pretty well, which seems fair.

I guess you could say the project is evolving well past Axanar at this stage, what with plans for other Trek productions and other non-Trek sci-fi productions. I'm guessing each individual production will either succeed or fail at getting funding via Kickstarter, but that's just my guess.

Edit: Oops. Maybe they will use Kickstarter or other types of fundraisers, I not sure if that is mentioned in the podcast. They have a direct line of contact to a large donor group on Facebook, so they have plenty of options.

6. I amnot Herbert

I amnot Herbert Lieutenant Commander

....just gets better, and better =)

looks like it's going to be a great 50th, thanks to Axanar! <3

7. doubleohfive

Oh. Well, good for them. I haven't paid much attention to the particulars of the funding. While it's great that they did make so much money on the first fundraiser, it seems a bit much to me to keep going back to the well like that, but hey, if the fans are willing to drop their cash on it that's their decision.

8. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

I think it's safe to say that their plans are getting more ambitious due to the success of the first two Kickstarters. If it were my project I would certainly be doing the same thing. This thing is evolving over time and there's no real way to know where it will end up.

9. wtriker1701

wtriker1701 Commander Red Shirt

But it started differently back then...

Just sayin'

10. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

As I said, this thing is evolving over time. After the tremendous success of the first two Kickstarters, that just makes sense for someone wanting to be involved in Trek and sci-fi productions.

"Prelude" was also going to be a $10,000, low budget fan film, but when the Kickstarter raised $100,000 the decision was made to go all the way, hire as many professionals as possible, and make a higher quality product.

11. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i seem to remember reading some months ago that Alec Peters wanted to cast Faran Tahir back as Richard Robau for Axanar. Any updates on this?

12. tobiasrichter

tobiasrichter Lieutenant Red Shirt

No news on the casting of Tahir - it would be a dream though.

Making 2 Kickstarters for the main movie was always the plan and was communicated all the way. The first ones pays for the soundstage, set construction and preproduction, the second one for the actual filming and postproduction.

And yes, the project has grown quite a bit. The first talks I had with Alec were just those of a rather normal, albeit ambitious trek film. He sold his car to make that happen. But I think Alec himself was surprised how much money all these factors cost when done right (e.g. making the mask for Richard Hatch was around 5000$) - so crowdfunding was the only way. I have no doubt he will put each dollar to good use.

Regarding sets - I don´t know exactly what sets we´re going to need, but it´ll be at least the bridge, corridors and quarters, probably sickbay and transporter room, and whatever else is needed. The current plan is to minimize greenscreen as much as possible.

13. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

If I am not mistaken podcast 15 mentions the following sets will be built: bridge, corridor, briefing room, Captain's ready room, turbo-lift and transporter room. Creq quarters may have been mentioned as well. Alec may have been talking off the top of his head and this list may not be complete.

I am hoping they have ample room for a top-notch green screen facility. It will always be handy to have around.

14. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, I take it you feel episodes like TOS "Balance of Terror" or "Arena" or Errand of Mercy" or "The Doomsday Machine" or "The Ultimate Computer" are "the worst of old Trek..."?

Honestly, I like all of TOS better then what often happened in TNG - which usually involved a 60+ year old Captain and a lot of other 'old dudes' sitting around a Conference Table discussing ad nauseum the episode plot complication; and in the last 5 minutes of an episode usually modified the deflector to emit the magic 'particle of the week' to resolve said plot complication/or the 'Star of the Week' managing to resolve said complication by expousing Federation dogma.:rofl::p;)

15. RCAM

RCAM Commander Red Shirt

Point of fact: the only time Patrick Stewart was 60 or older was in the very last TNG film (Nemesis).

16. Tommunist

Tommunist Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

However, Picard's age was always older, no? Born 2305, according to "Conundrum". I thought it was cool that Picard was older than the actor cast as him, perhaps to show that humans not only lived longer in the future, but were in better shape too.

17. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not even sure Patrick Stewart is an average human. I'm thinking he's some genetically engineered superhuman. How else do you explain the youthful appearance and British accent? You can't. You can't!

18. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

None of those episodes are like this trailer - none - it's a daft comparison.

The passive aggressive way you guys have fixated on me is odd - this isn't axanar.com, it's trekbbs.com and members are alllow to view stuff and say "I didn't enjoy that" or "dull" - you just have to accept that is the case regardless of your rather pointless and ineffective brow-beating.

19. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

No one is fixated on you - as long as you post comments you have to allow and respect comments on your comments as well. So far, your comment was far more aggressive then any of the few comments on the comment. That was my comment...

20. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

JoeZhang, "Prelude to Axanar" was always meant to be a documentary-style film. We don't know a lot about "Axanar" itself but it's not documentary-style at all. (You asked if the full-length film is to be more of the same as Prelude.)

I hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.