STAR TREK 4 BACK ON! Noah Hawley to write and direct

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by F. King Daniel, Nov 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Strange choice. But I love Fargo.

2. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am kinda glad they got rid of Chris Helmsworth, he seemed needlessly expensive, can't really carry a movie when not playing Thor (look at that last Men in Black Movie) and I was not digging the time travel plot where Kirk meets his dad. Pine is essential, Helmsworth, did not really need him.

Nyotarules and Markonian like this.
  3. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, and considering that Tarantino is saying that the next film he directs will be his last, I'm sure he's taking his time figuring out exactly what he wants to do next.

4. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

First I had a glimmer of hope for a new Mass Effect game, now hope for a new Star Trek movie. Give me a hint of new Stargate in development and I'll be overjoyed.

Markonian likes this.
  5. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Dropping the budget cuts both ways. For better or worse, the Kelvin films are built around being blockbusters.

Almost a fifth of Beyond's box office came from China. Somehow I don't think that many people will be lining up in China - or much of the world - for a Star Trek character piece.

A budget of 100 mil would seem to place it in pretty dangerous ground - not enough to be a blockbuster, but requiring a very solid take to break even.

Taking into account the divide among Trek fans about the Kelvin films, those who will stay away from Trek in general and the lack of anything special about the film (indeed, aside from the negative of a writer-director coming off a bomb) and I fear it's set up for failure.

I like the Kelvin films - they're among my top half-dozen Trek films - but their ship has sailed.

6. TPezz

TPezz Commander Red Shirt

Perhaps they are banking on the success and promotion of Discovery and Picard to bring in views for another Kirk based Trek movie. :shrug:

Excited though. Wasn’t keen on the Kirk meeting his dad thing. Would be interesting to link it somehow into the tv shows somehow (perhaps Enterprise-B could be fitted with a spore drive :angel:)

7. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

Discovery, Picard & the 4th Kelvin movie. I'm happy! :biggrin:

8. DarthTimon

DarthTimon Commander Red Shirt

Is it? I haven't heard anything on that front for a while. Personally, I'd rather he wasn't involved.

fireproof78 likes this.
  9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I love the Abrams films, and agree here. If Star Trek 4 is going to succeed, it has to be more than what they’ve given us so far.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sadly true.
    While that four year gap certainly didn't help, one shouldn't overlook the fact that Paramount did nothing to keep this new iteration of Star Trek on the public's radar at all in those interim years. One of the best ways to do that would have been with the tie-in material, such as novels and comics. But the Kelvin timeline novels infamously were cancelled mere days after their covers and plot descriptions were made available to the public and they went up for pre-order. And there wasn't an ongoing comic series until two years after the movie's release, and for the first year or so that was just remakes of TOS episodes with everyone drawn in the likeness of the new characters. While I don't necessarily agree with Abrams's rumoured request to embargo everything related to the old Treks, one has to admit you aren't exactly putting a rebooted Star Trek on the public's radar when all the merchandise and tie-in material related to the franchise for the first two years after the reboot's release is still related to the old iteration of the franchise.
    The Dark Knight came out three years after Batman Begins, which is typical for sequels (eg, that's how long was between the movies in the original and prequel Star Wars trilogies). The Dark Knight ended up being a huge movie which translated to The Dark Knight Rises being guaranteed to keep the audiences, despite the passage of four years.
    As of June, the script was completed, though I imagine at the time Tarantino was gearing up for the publicity events surrounding the release of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I'm sure we'll see some definite movement on it soon enough.

Markonian, Smellmet and BillJ like this.
  11. Caeruleus

Caeruleus Commander Red Shirt

Fuckin' idiots. After reunification of Viacom and Paramount who needs this antiTrek junk like Kelvinerse? They shoud make movie about regular universe Pike and Enterprise in that period or movie about DS9 crew. No one normal doesn't want this shit known as Kelvinverse.

12. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

:lol::lol::lol:

No.

13. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Christ if I was a Paramount exec reading through this thread I would run a mile from investing any new money into a Trek movie project.

burningoil, Onid, Markonian and 2 others like this.
  14. BillJ

You're a ray of sunshine. I've been watching since 1975 and find the Abrams films every bit "Trek" as anything else produced post-TOS.

Just a golden nugget for you: the man who wrote two of the Abrams films would be in charge of a Pike or DS9 movie.

15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not the first time I've been abnormal.

DarthTimon and saddestmoon like this.
  16. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Anti-trek junk? Like BillJ I have been a viewer since the mid 70's too, and I think the Kelvin films are great. They are way better than any TNG movie and all the TOS ones bar a couple in my view. There is nothing 'anti-trek' about them. You need to read up on the concept of TOS before making such statements.

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

A DS9 movie would tank at the box office, and I say that as a DS9 fan. Likewise, as popular as Anson Mount is with Trek fandom, I don't think that popularity is going to translate into box office success.

Turtletrekker, saddestmoon and BillJ like this.
  18. BillJ

Probably get by with Mount as Pike, though I imagine Peck and Romijn would both be replaced by bigger names.

19. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Does anyone under 30 even know what DS9 is?

Nyotarules likes this.
  20. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

title? (to excite non trekkies)
    Star Trek: Shared Universe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.