STAR TREK 4 BACK ON! Noah Hawley to write and direct

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by King Daniel Beyond, Nov 19, 2019.

1. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

According to Variety. The Kelvin universe crew is back!!

2. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Welp....that came out of nowhere.

That being said, let’s punch it!

3. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Finally, confirmation that we will eventually see another Kelvin film. I can't wait to see both the interior sets and exterior in depth of the 1701-A from Beyond.
    :beer:

4. Henoch

Henoch Commodore Premium Member

I looks like the story will go in a different direction since Hemsworth is out.

Markonian likes this.
  5. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Excellent news, I'm thrilled!

saddestmoon likes this.
  6. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

I like the choice to hire Hawley to write and direct since it’ll be nice to get a fresh creative take. However, I’m surprised the Kelvin crew is returning since Paramount and CBS are united again. Although I like the Kelvin crew, I wish there was going to be more connection between the TV shows and movies.

Seven of Five likes this.
  7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

Interesting. Though, the article I read said "Paramount if finalizing talks" so hopefully that means they will be moving forward.

8. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

just when i had written it off...

deadline and variety are also reporting bad robot and abrams will be producing.

VOODOOXI and saddestmoon like this.
  9. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

A new Half-Life game announced yesterday and a new Star Trek movie today. It's crazy but I'm one very happy Trekkie.

And I absolutely loved Legion (right up until the finale... welp), so I'm 110% on board with whatever Noah Hawley comes up with.
    Personally I'm happier with them doing their own thing seperate from Kurtzman's Star Trek Universe. As much as I'm loving that so far, variety is the spice of life!

saddestmoon and fireproof78 like this.
  10. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So they fired the first woman hired to make a Star Trek movie and replaced her with another white man. That's going to go down well..

11. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

since they didn't fire her, it should go down fine?

12. Jayson1

Jayson1 Vice Admiral Admiral

We have the box office failures of Bumblebee,Terminator and Gemini Man to get the lead out of their pants to make this happen. Hawley seems to have a very vivid imagination so I am expecting something like a even better version of The Motion Picture. Anthing from a visit by Q to a visit to Talos could be possible. Jason

Markonian and Khan 2.0 like this.
  13. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Succeeded her with a white man whose last movie was space themed and a massive, massive bomb. As Wikipedia dryly puts it:
    Are they sure they don't want Pegg, Jung, and Lin to take another whack at it? I mean, coming off of Lucy in the Sky, it'd very nearly make more sense to have one of us direct the movie.

ATimson likes this.
  14. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Captain Captain

Huh.. Okay! So I'm "Assuming" that Pine is back? I hope? Seems to have caved to his salary?
    Well I'm hopefuly optomistic, and it will be interesting and fun! MORE McCOY!
    Also, I hope they redo the Enterprise A.. that thing is Hidious..!

15. Jayson1

Jayson1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Can't judge a director on one bad movie. His tv stuff is more than enough to earn a second chance. Jason

16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

One of us?:wtf:

XCV330 likes this.
  17. STMSTS

STMSTS Ensign Red Shirt

The articles all seem to indicate that the Clarkson/Hemsworth iteration is dead and that this is a new script. Hawley would have had to pitch something (his vision, an outline/treatment) to get this opportunity, the studio didn’t just cold call him. I don’t think Clarkson was ever formally announced by the studio.

A few other observations/thoughts:
    - Paramount needs some bankable IP to help with their slate, it’s well documented that they’ve struggled at the box office. A budget controlled Star Trek that makes a minimum of $350 million WW would be a good place to start (and howl to do better).
    - Hiring a mostly TV director would indicate the hope is to have a more reasonable budget that gives the film an opportunity to succeed financially. There was an effort to better control costs on Beyond, but that film was saddled with Orci’s original Star Trek 3 development costs (including the script that appeared to be what was slated for the now again abandoned Hemsworth Star Trek 4). Depending on how much development work actually went into the Clarkson film, those costs would go against this new film.
    - Have to think some of this is to take advantage of Star Wars seemingly wrapping up for the time being. There’s a window with Star Wars and also Avengers going into something of a dormant state for a bit for Paramount to jump in with some marketable IP. Again, with a TV director, there could also be an expectation of an accelerated production to jump into this window.

Markonian and Khan 2.0 like this.
  18. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Well, I've never lost $26.7 million off a $27 million film budget. Two hours of stock footage with a catchy title would've made bigger box office. The numbers on Lucy are insane. It's like he was trying to do The Producers or something and actually pulled it off.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Tomorrow Never Knows Premium Member

Are any of us an Awarding winning television writer/director? Yeah, didn't think so.

Ovation likes this.
  20. Cutie McWhiskers

Cutie McWhiskers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Were Siskel and Ebert? No but they were award-winning critics... and people didn't always agree with them anyway. :D