Star Trek 2017 will not be set in the JJ-Verse

We don't know what the budget will be, but my guess is they will aim for a GoT level of quality. This will not be a cheap production.

Speaking for myself, I will be very disappointed if ST2017 looks like it was made in the 1980s-90s.
I think the producers will try to make the show as modern as possible in terms of visual production. Anything else would be a major turn-off to mainstream viewers. Obviously they won't be able to match the cinematic excesses of the movies, but they will try to include some sci-fi eye candy (so much easier to do with modern CGI, though of course still not cheap).
I don't want to look like anything from the 90's, but I do miss model work; how organic it looks. That combined with cgi would be a nice I think.

We don't know what the budget will be, but my guess is they will aim for a GoT level of quality. This will not be a cheap production.
Creating a new world, costumes and make up and set design and set productions are not cheap. They'll create something cool.

I don't think that there is any particular need to acknowledge that ST2017 is set in either universe. If the new series is set some time after TNG-DS9-VOY, then there will be no essential connection between the events in those stories and the new ones. Accepting that most of the characters will be human or human-like, Fuller need only move away from the notion of an Earth-centered Federation, perhaps showing that some other species has come to dominate culturally and politically; get away from the Academy as the sole formative experience for our heroes. And they would need to retire the nostalgia that TNG-DS9-VOY had for the original series. Indeed, I hope they retire the line "Kirk's adventures were required reading at the Academy."

I understand if people don't like how Jadzia was killed, because it seemed rushed, but her death shows the tragedy of war. Sure we saw it when some character finds out that someone they know was killed, but that is so clinical compared to having one of the mains die. Trading that drama, that is much more true to life, so that Jadzia can live happily ever after goes against what the writers were often trying to say about the nature of war.

Jadzia's death had nothing to do with the war. She was killed by Gul Dukat/Kosst Amojan in the Bajoran temple:wtf:

Jadzia's death had nothing to do with the war. She was killed by Gul Dukat/Kosst Amojan in the Bajoran temple:wtf:
You mean the war between the Pah-wraiths and the Prophets? ;)

Yeah she didn't die from a Dominion warship, but the Dominion had no problem sending Dukat to DS9 because he promised he could open the wormhole back up. In the process Jadzia becomes a casualty of war. That's not a difficult leap in the slightest, so I'm not sure it deservers the :wtf:

Last edited:
It will not look like the 80's, but it will not likely look much different from Enterprise in terms of production values. No matter how you slice it it is still being made for streaming. Not a full blown TV broadcast budget, let alone a $150 million movie.

There is no indication that streaming is cheaper than a TV broadcast. Depending on the source you read, House of Cards costs either on par with the most expensive TV shows, or well above that. Streaming is not a cheap solution. Streaming is a subscription model that benefits from the subscription revenue and needs to be thought of like premium cable shows(HBO/Showtime).

You mean the war between the Pah-wraiths and the Prophets? ;)

Yeah she didn't die from a Dominion warship, but the Dominion had no problem sending Dukat to DS9 because he promised he could open the wormhole back up. In the process Jadzia becomes a casualty of war. That's not a difficult leap in the slightest, so I'm not sure it deservers the :wtf:

Sorry about the :wtf:

I just never considered Jadzia to be a war casualty. I'd have liked it better if she'd died in battle rather than being murdered in cold blood by a demented maniac possessed by the Devil. I thought her death was a missed opportunity to really show how rough war is but I guess they covered that with Nog's injury in Season 7.

I just never considered Jadzia to be a war casualty.
She might not have been a combat death, but she clearly died because of activities related to the war in the strictest sense. And if you consider the war to have also had this quasi-metaphysical dimension, she definitely died in combat.

I just never considered Jadzia to be a war casualty. I'd have liked it better if she'd died in battle rather than being murdered in cold blood by a demented maniac possessed by the Devil. I thought her death was a missed opportunity to really show how rough war is but I guess they covered that with Nog's injury in Season 7.
Oh on that we definitely agree. I think her dying in battle would have been much better than the awkward and lame way they choose for her to go out.

I don't even think she's dead. The doctor that removed the Dax symbiont and pronounced the Jadzia host "dead" is a known Section 31 operative.

There is no indication that streaming is cheaper than a TV broadcast. Depending on the source you read, House of Cards costs either on par with the most expensive TV shows, or well above that. Streaming is not a cheap solution. Streaming is a subscription model that benefits from the subscription revenue and needs to be thought of like premium cable shows(HBO/Showtime).
Would the new show benefit by casting a star or an established personality for subscribers? I would like the new Captain young, and a person of color like Keke Palmer, Imani Hakim, Roshon Fegan, Zendaya, China Anne McClain, Trevor Jackson, Amandla Stenberg, Paige Hurd, Stephen James, Arbaaz Khan, Barun Sobti, and maybe Shahid Kapoor.

Last edited:
Would the new show benefit by casting a star or an established personality for subscribers? I would like the new Captain young, and a person of color like Keke Palmer, Imani Hakim, Roshon Fegan, Zendaya, China Anne McClain, Trevor Jackson, Amandla Stenberg, Paige Hurd, Stephen James, Arbaaz Khan, Barun Sobti, and maybe Shahid Kapoor.
Fuller is very loyal to the actors he's previously worked with, so I suspect we've already seen some of them. (I both fear and love the idea of Captain Chenoweth.)

Given that they are hoping for success in streaming, they ought to pick their cast from shows that are big streaming hits: Netflix originals, BBC imports, etc. Years ago I would have loved for Idris Elba would have led a new Trek series; STB has pretty much dashed that hope. Even so, there are plenty of people out there, younger and older, to draw from. Some of my favorites would be Samira Wiley, Olivia Colman, Kim Bodnia, Sofia Helin, etc.

Fuller is very loyal to the actors he's previously worked with, so I suspect we've already seen some of them. (I both fear and love the idea of Captain Chenoweth.)

Given that they are hoping for success in streaming, they ought to pick their cast from shows that are big streaming hits: Netflix originals, BBC imports, etc. Years ago I would have loved for Idris Elba would have led a new Trek series; STB has pretty much dashed that hope. Even so, there are plenty of people out there, younger and older, to draw from. Some of my favorites would be Samira Wiley, Olivia Colman, Kim Bodnia, Sofia Helin, etc.

None of the other streaming hits have hired from other streaming hits, so that's not a requirement for streaming success. But yes, CBS will likely start with a name to draw in an audience. Remember Netflix started planning what became House of Cards by looking at data indicating their viewers liked Kevin Spacey.

I don't think that there is any particular need to acknowledge that ST2017 is set in either universe. If the new series is set some time after TNG-DS9-VOY, then there will be no essential connection between the events in those stories and the new ones. Accepting that most of the characters will be human or human-like, Fuller need only move away from the notion of an Earth-centered Federation, perhaps showing that some other species has come to dominate culturally and politically; get away from the Academy as the sole formative experience for our heroes. And they would need to retire the nostalgia that TNG-DS9-VOY had for the original series. Indeed, I hope they retire the line "Kirk's adventures were required reading at the Academy."
If they could resist the temptation in revisiting any of TNG, and it's lingering Spinoffs' characters. Once they open that pandora's box, here comes the continuity issues all over again. It would be best to leave it be and move on in a fresh canvas like the JJ-verse. Or like another person mentioned the series should take place after TUC. Anything to stay away from fanboy rehashing of previous castmembers would be best for the series. It should hold its own by the cast and the production.

What I hope is that we won't have the constant character destruction we have seen in the other series.

Yar and Dax were killed off, Kes was humiliated and totally ruined, Lt. Carey was dumped for several seasons before being killed off, Data was killed off (probably), Trip was killed off.

With Fuller in charge, I expect the worst.

Maybe I can turn it into something positive this time by setting up a bet on which character will be destroyed and in what season. I could probably earn some money there. ;)

Wow, you really like shows that don't change at all! Dax did six years (more than the entire run of most series) before being killed, Data was there over a decade. I don't even remember who Lt Carey was. Shows have got to have the creative freedom to change, and that includes people joining, leaving, and, yes, dying. One of the worst Trek tropes is the reset button. Arduous seven year journey home across the galaxy, struggling to survive, but ship and crew still look the same as at the end of Caretaker. The new show, in my opinion, should take a leaf out of the book of more recent shows if it wants to survive. Big plots which drive real changes. Storylines that have consequences.

Killing her off wasn't enough? Okay, how about in the final episode of DS9, Jadzia was not even seen in a flashback. Worf was married to her but it was not in his lug head in the memory moments. I would like to believe that it was just Worf being Worf but no, it was all Ira.

Dax didn't appear in the flashbacks because Terry Farrell's likeness wasn't available to the studio to be used; her agent had already kicked off at similar usage earlier in the season. You'll note that actors who appear only in flashback or stock footage get an appearance credit on episodes. If they used footage with her on it, Farrell would 'appear' in the episode. The DS9 companion mentions it - they didn't deliberately choose to exclude her, it was necessitated by contracts.

If they could resist the temptation in revisiting any of TNG, and it's lingering Spinoffs' characters. Once they open that pandora's box, here comes the continuity issues all over again. It would be best to leave it be and move on in a fresh canvas like the JJ-verse. Or like another person mentioned the series should take place after TUC. Anything to stay away from fanboy rehashing of previous castmembers would be best for the series. It should hold its own by the cast and the production.
That discipline, on the part both of producers and fans, is the only thing that makes the legacy element of any franchise a tightrope. Abrams' alternate universe was still littered with familiar tropes and themes which simply invited fans to ask, "how would this known character be slightly altered by the slightly different events of this timeline." In the end, we got Khan with a different kind of charm. Another timeline/universe would simply bring fans to ask what happened to the Kirks, Spocks, Picards, Datas, etc.

If they really wanted to distance themselves from either, they should add a few hundred years regardless of the universe and timeline. Let all the familiar characters be dead. Let all the defining events to be irrelevant. Let Earth's time as the galactic "first city" end.

No matter how you slice it, people have seen 50 years (on and off) of Trek stories out in the wild. People will compare the new stuff to the old stuff regardless of the continuity.

I think only a small part of the fanbase are rabid enough to be looking out for continuity gotchas. Of course, most of them will be part of online communities like this, but I don't think selectively bending and warping continuity by placing a show within prime continuity is as risky as some here do. And this has already happened in Trek enough times, with varying degrees of success.

I can see the appeal of trying to "perfect" an alternate universe's continuity, make it iron-clad, etc... But how many have succeeded? Dr. Who and Star Wars are full of retcons too, for instance, and it hasn't killed the franchises.

You could also argue that looking for "errors" is part of fandom in general. It's kind of a where's Waldo appeal for uber-fans.

I'm a big fan of what I call 'character continuity'.

In terms of treknology and alien (and human!) history, Star Trek already is a big clusterf*ck. A new show (or movie) should try to avoid that, and start with it's own future history and technology.

That being said, it should aknowledge the characters that have came before!

When TNG started, it had it's completely own technology, look and internal rules, and it's universe was basically unrecognizable from TOS or the TOS movies. But it aknowledged the characters from TOS, with McCoy, Scotty and Spock having appeared, and the adventures of Kirk and the previous Enterprise being mentioned.

The new should strive for something similar: Being it's completely own thing. Ignore previous history and treknology and make up iT#s own rules (for example how the holodeck in this continuity works), but generally recognize the characters from Trek, mentioning the Enterprise-D passing by, or maybe even have a small cameo by Patrick Stewart.

Back