Star Trek 2017 will not be set in the JJ-Verse

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by fyre, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

I'm not sure that's true. They spent a good deal of time explaining it's a different timeline in Trek 2009. Then there's the presence of Ambassador Spock. I doubt general audiences are dumb enough to miss that.

2. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

Picard has a little bit of space on the public imagination ok but Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise are towering cultural icons are in a different league entirely. It's not a question that can be reduced to raw takings of a particular series in a given point in time. People who never watch Star Trek, can't abide the 60s production values yet even among these the idea of Kirk, Spock and Co travelling through the galaxy exerts a powerful pull. So if you're going to do a remake, you go with the crew with that has the most powerful universal appeal. That's Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Scotty. In these terms, Picard is just inferior raw material.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  3. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

No, they're not, but it's no more than a couple of throwaway lines in ST'09, then was never mentioned again, so not an ongoing active feature of the nu-movies and likely forgotten by now, with the general audience just thinking of it all as "Star Trek". They're not worried about the past changing and erasing TNG, etc.
    I'd include Data and probably Worf, but it undoubtedly helps for Picard that Patrick Stewart is still visible today, everyone else except Bakuka from the Berman-era seems to have vanished off the face of the Earth.

4. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a time thing. 50 years of percolating vs just under 30, bubbling in the collective mind. For people of a certain age, TNG is their Trek touchstone, fan or not. In fact some of my generation will see TOS as the outdated thing our parents might have watched. For younger generations you are even going to end up with memories of Voyager or DS9. Enterprise will be an outlier, because it dropped the Trek branding, but even then...Over here it was paired up with Roswell, charmed, and Star gate. So its bubbling somewhere.
    In terms of how many people of a given age watched Trek, fan or not, there are probably more thirty some things who lived through Berman era and have stronger attachment to that than TOS.

Once you take that into account, TNG is as much a power as TOS from a commercial angle. Of course you have to also ignore the traditional 60s renaissance that rolls around ever 20 to 30 years, and subculture dominance such as the hipster thing.

Even the mainstream press did 'hey they rebooted Kirk...how would they reboot Picard next?' And the prominence of Patrick Stewart as a Twitter celeb isn't hurting that.

5. shady12

shady12 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Kate Mulgrew is a regular on a popular series right now. Siddig is also VERY busy on TV, including being on Game of Thrones.

jaime likes this.
  6. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

LOL. You didn't watch season six, episode one.

Karp666 likes this.
  7. shady12

shady12 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've only watched the first four seasons. Thanks for spoilers though. I was saying he's been on the show.

8. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

The Mighty Monkey of Mim Commodore Commodore

LIVE ON STAGE AT THE ALHAMBRA, ONE NIGHT ONLY!
    I agree with the second part of this, but not the first. It was indeed "more than a couple throwaway lines"; it was a major plot point around which the whole story revolved in the 2009 film.

jaime and mos6507 like this.
  9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Joan Collins as Eleanor Roosevelt?

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Admiral

Jeri Ryan seems to be getting a lot of work as well. And, of course, a fair number of Trek alumi are working behind-the-scenes as directors these days: Jonathan Frakes, Roxann Dawson, etc.

11. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Oops, yes, I did forget Kate Mulgrew, also Wil Weaton, but while some of the rest may not have fallen completely off the pop-culture radar, their characters certainly have, which I guess was the point I should have been trying to make, about Picard, Data and Worf (Seven probably belongs on that list, too).

12. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Scotty has more cultural pull than McCoy in TOS terms ironically. I wonder if DS9 has much in the way of icons in different countrys culture or subculture (not counting my own family and friends where I know it does. Even if it's just the ladies mooning over Bashir or the old traditions like threatening to knock someone's nose and make them look like a baJoran, or pull on their ears to make them look like a ferengi . In jest of course. Saying that, there was a Dead Ringers sketch in 2005 about the new who that had ferengi references.)

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've definitely said this before, but even if it's set in Trek Prime, a lot of fans are going to nitpick all their inevitable continuity glitches and retcons and insist it's an alternate universe, as fans have been doing since the classic movies.

14. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What, you mean the stories about how closely the JJverse is tied to Prime? To an uncommitted viewer, those would confirm that the universes are the same, not different.

Funny, I recall the opposite. E.g. the title of this thread.
    For someone supposedly completely new to Trek you sure have some strong opinions. ;)

15. Trek16

Trek16 Lieutenant Red Shirt

well since the show is set 10 years before Kirk's 5 year mission than this show like Enterprise will be set in both Universes.

16. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

The Mighty Monkey of Mim Commodore Commodore

LIVE ON STAGE AT THE ALHAMBRA, ONE NIGHT ONLY!
    No, definitely not. 10 years before Kirk's 5-year mission is a time when we know the two timelines are not the same. Nero destroyed the Kelvin in 2233. Kirk's 5-year mission began circa 2265 in the Prime Timeline (and a few years earlier in the Kelvin Timeline).

Trek16 likes this.
  17. Trek16

Trek16 Lieutenant Red Shirt

whoops I forgot about the whole timeline changing when Kirk was born.:lol: