Star Trek 2017 will not be set in the JJ-Verse

Particularly, since the general audience has no idea there is such a thing as "Prime" and "Kelvin" universes, or that they are somehow different.

I'm not sure that's true. They spent a good deal of time explaining it's a different timeline in Trek 2009. Then there's the presence of Ambassador Spock. I doubt general audiences are dumb enough to miss that.

It's also worth remembering that the most successful Trek was in fact TNG.
Now how that may have been handled badly come movie time, and how that all ended up, balanced out with the 20 year head start TOS had (not to mention the fact that the two are intrinsicly the same thing) might be a different thing to think about..
But it is definitely TNG that had the most success in its time, and a comparable amount of success afterwards (novels continuing after its finish, never ending loops in syndication, conventions to this day....All comparable to TOS...Picard is also a popular cultural icon...) so pretending the only commercial interest is in TOS is inaccurate. The other Treks aren't able touch the big two, but there's a reason the baby gros , pizza cutters, dressing gowns and onesies still pour out in TNG themed stuff as well as TOS.
Picard has a little bit of space on the public imagination ok but Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise are towering cultural icons are in a different league entirely. It's not a question that can be reduced to raw takings of a particular series in a given point in time. People who never watch Star Trek, can't abide the 60s production values yet even among these the idea of Kirk, Spock and Co travelling through the galaxy exerts a powerful pull. So if you're going to do a remake, you go with the crew with that has the most powerful universal appeal. That's Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Scotty. In these terms, Picard is just inferior raw material.

I'm not sure that's true. They spent a good deal of time explaining it's a different timeline in Trek 2009. Then there's the presence of Ambassador Spock. I doubt general audiences are dumb enough to miss that.
No, they're not, but it's no more than a couple of throwaway lines in ST'09, then was never mentioned again, so not an ongoing active feature of the nu-movies and likely forgotten by now, with the general audience just thinking of it all as "Star Trek". They're not worried about the past changing and erasing TNG, etc.
Picard has a little bit of space on the public imagination ok but Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise are towering cultural icons are in a different league entirely. It's not a question that can be reduced to raw takings of a particular series in a given point in time. People who never watch Star Trek, can't abide the 60s production values yet even among these the idea of Kirk, Spock and Co travelling through the galaxy exerts a powerful pull. So if you're going to do a remake, you go with the crew with that has the most powerful universal appeal. That's Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Scotty. In these terms, Picard is just inferior raw material.
I'd include Data and probably Worf, but it undoubtedly helps for Picard that Patrick Stewart is still visible today, everyone else except Bakuka from the Berman-era seems to have vanished off the face of the Earth.

It's a time thing. 50 years of percolating vs just under 30, bubbling in the collective mind. For people of a certain age, TNG is their Trek touchstone, fan or not. In fact some of my generation will see TOS as the outdated thing our parents might have watched. For younger generations you are even going to end up with memories of Voyager or DS9. Enterprise will be an outlier, because it dropped the Trek branding, but even then...Over here it was paired up with Roswell, charmed, and Star gate. So its bubbling somewhere.
In terms of how many people of a given age watched Trek, fan or not, there are probably more thirty some things who lived through Berman era and have stronger attachment to that than TOS.

Once you take that into account, TNG is as much a power as TOS from a commercial angle. Of course you have to also ignore the traditional 60s renaissance that rolls around ever 20 to 30 years, and subculture dominance such as the hipster thing.

Even the mainstream press did 'hey they rebooted Kirk...how would they reboot Picard next?' And the prominence of Patrick Stewart as a Twitter celeb isn't hurting that.

No, they're not, but it's no more than a couple of throwaway lines in ST'09, then was never mentioned again, so not an ongoing active feature of the nu-movies and likely forgotten by now, with the general audience just thinking of it all as "Star Trek". They're not worried about the past changing and erasing TNG, etc.

I'd include Data and probably Worf, but it undoubtedly helps for Picard that Patrick Stewart is still visible today, everyone else except Bakuka from the Berman-era seems to have vanished off the face of the Earth.

Kate Mulgrew is a regular on a popular series right now. Siddig is also VERY busy on TV, including being on Game of Thrones.

I agree with the second part of this, but not the first. It was indeed "more than a couple throwaway lines"; it was a major plot point around which the whole story revolved in the 2009 film.

Kate Mulgrew is a regular on a popular series right now. Siddig is also VERY busy on TV, including being on Game of Thrones.

Jeri Ryan seems to be getting a lot of work as well. And, of course, a fair number of Trek alumi are working behind-the-scenes as directors these days: Jonathan Frakes, Roxann Dawson, etc.

Oops, yes, I did forget Kate Mulgrew, also Wil Weaton, but while some of the rest may not have fallen completely off the pop-culture radar, their characters certainly have, which I guess was the point I should have been trying to make, about Picard, Data and Worf (Seven probably belongs on that list, too).

Oops, yes, I did forget Kate Mulgrew, also Wil Weaton, but while some of the rest may not have fallen completely off the pop-culture radar, their characters certainly have, which I guess was the point I should have been trying to make, about Picard, Data and Worf (Seven probably belongs on that list, too).

Scotty has more cultural pull than McCoy in TOS terms ironically. I wonder if DS9 has much in the way of icons in different countrys culture or subculture (not counting my own family and friends where I know it does. Even if it's just the ladies mooning over Bashir or the old traditions like threatening to knock someone's nose and make them look like a baJoran, or pull on their ears to make them look like a ferengi . In jest of course. Saying that, there was a Dead Ringers sketch in 2005 about the new who that had ferengi references.)

I've definitely said this before, but even if it's set in Trek Prime, a lot of fans are going to nitpick all their inevitable continuity glitches and retcons and insist it's an alternate universe, as fans have been doing since the classic movies.

Particularly since the general audience has no idea there is such a thing as "Prime" and "Kelvin" universes, or that they are somehow different.
I think they have a good idea, generally speaking, since much of the story in the Abrams' films revolved around it.
What, you mean the stories about how closely the JJverse is tied to Prime? To an uncommitted viewer, those would confirm that the universes are the same, not different.

Those who predicted prime tended to be more guarded about their prediction, knowing it could go either way. Most of the predictions that this would be in the JJ-Verse continuity, however, didn't phrase it as a guess. They put it forward as a fact
Funny, I recall the opposite. E.g. the title of this thread.
They were trying to compensate for their age, feel young again by calling everyone who was not 100% sure it was Kelvin timeline "out of touch" bigots.
For someone supposedly completely new to Trek you sure have some strong opinions. ;)

well since the show is set 10 years before Kirk's 5 year mission than this show like Enterprise will be set in both Universes.

well since the show is set 10 years before Kirk's 5 year mission than this show like Enterprise will be set in both Universes.
No, definitely not. 10 years before Kirk's 5-year mission is a time when we know the two timelines are not the same. Nero destroyed the Kelvin in 2233. Kirk's 5-year mission began circa 2265 in the Prime Timeline (and a few years earlier in the Kelvin Timeline).

No, definitely not. 10 years before Kirk's 5-year mission is a time when we know the two timelines are not the same. Nero destroyed the Kelvin in 2233. Kirk's 5-year mission began circa 2265 in the Prime Timelne (and a few years earlier in the Kelvin Timeline).
whoops I forgot about the whole timeline changing when Kirk was born.:lol:

Back