Star Trek 2017 will not be set in the JJ-Verse

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by fyre, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

It's really good news if a future Trek series in 2017 will not be set in the JJ-verse because that has screwed up established Trek history too much.

The bad news is that Bryan Fuller is involved. :mad:

2. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

You know, I'd love to see a series set just after TUC. It's the only era that hasn't really been explored yet but it's still familiar due to the movies. Probably won't happen though.

Jerikka Dawn likes this.
  3. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The comment about TUC being a jumping off point got me thinking. The way TUC was a reflection of the fall of the Berlin wall, it would be interesting to see a series set 25 years after TUC with a resurgent Klingon empire. They're not the power they were in TOS, but what looked like peace has hit a stall. It could set up the battle that destroyed the Enterprise C and led to the final peace treaty. Conveniently, 25 years would put us right in the middle of the time span between TUC/Generations and Yesterday's Enterprise, so there aren't that many points of canon to worry about.

Terok Nor likes this.
  4. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh my god, please no!

Not that I don't understand the reasoning behind it. But you just perfectly described Enterprise.

A new Star Trek show shouldn't be ashamed to do, you know, Star Trek. Holodecks and Beaming included.

5. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Could Fuller mold JJTrek into something which is more in tone with the old Trek, before Berman started messing things up?

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

No worse than it messed up it's own within a few episodes. And don't get me started on Voyager and that damn useless pixie character, that was the real low point.

7. Lynx

Sorry but I'm going to get you started on Voyager and that amazing pixie character.

Which is the reason I really dislike the guy.

Plus the fact that he is a really lousy writer and Braga's lap dog.

8. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Um... what?

Fuller is one of, if not, THE most creative writer in television. Hannibal is one of the best shows of the last 10-15 years, and Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me are no pushovers either.

Kor and Rahul like this.
  9. Lynx

Yes, he was very created when he and that other lap dog Michael Taylor helped master Braga to ruin the character Kes and spit the fans of Kes in their faces by coming upm with the crap story "Fury".

STEPhon IT likes this.
  10. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You have no clue what you're talking about.

11. Lynx

Then prove me I'm wrong-if you can.

12. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked Kes, and I liked "Fury" :shrug:

When Fuller was on Trek, he was a first time writer. A creative guy, that worked under the regimen of other people. Under their rules and guidances. I'm pretty sure things will be considerably different when he's in charge. For better or worse.

Terok Nor and Kor like this.
  13. Lynx

When Kes was kicked out in season 4, there were a lot of fans who wanted her back.

There was a letter campaign going for having Kes re-instated as a main character. Obviously it made a certain impact on those in charge.

They were faced with two choices.

They could bring back Kes as a main character.

Or they could simply ignore the fans request.

They did choose the third option: To bring back the character, ruin the character, kill her off and thus showing the big finger to the fans. Which they did!

The only thing they didn't managed to do was to kill off the character because Jennifer Lien wanted another ending than that.

Those responsible for that horrible episode was Brannon Braga and his two lap dogs Bryan Fuller and Michael Taylor.

As a fan of the character Kes, I felt deeply insulted by that episode. So insulted that I quit Voyager there and then. I only watched "Endgane" after that and that was also a piece of s**t.

I haven't forgotten and I haven't forgiven.

Just the mention of Braga, Fuller and M.Taylor makes me wanna puke.

STEPhon IT likes this.
  14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Precisely so. Regardless of Fuller's work on VOY, he is in a whole new level now. Treating his VOY work as proof of what this new series will be is jumping to a lot of conclusions.

Kor likes this.
  15. Lynx

I guess you're right about that.

I only stated the reason why I dislike Fuller.

16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which is totally fair, in my opinion. I don't mind hearing it at all, and thank you for sharing :)

I was actually looking forward to more of the discussion.

17. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is other media out there besides Trek.

Judging by Fuller's extensive body of television work in the decade and a half since VOY ended, he will handle this new show just fine.

Kor

Campe likes this.
  18. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't see how anything I said "perfectly described Enterprise". When I said "back to basics", I meant back to TOS.

And weighing all the pros and cons, on balance I'd say holodeck episodes are something Star Trek should be ashamed of. :p

mos6507 likes this.
  19. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Didn't care for Kes, didn't care for Voyager, have liked a lot of Fuller's work since Trek. So, I'm good.

I hope they never show another holodeck again.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Amen.