ST5 - Unused Uniforms

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Aeronnaex, Jul 4, 2022.

1. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I agree completely. The use of the monster maroons in TNG flashback scenes, Yesterday's Enterprise, etc. was done because of budget limitations of the time, not because someone felt a particular affinity for that uniform or made a conscious decision to have it be used for 70 years straight. Back when TNG first premiered, the now-unofficial FASA Officer's Manual had two 'intermediate' uniforms from the post-TMP films-pre-TNG era. That was more believable than reusing the maroons.

farbeyondthestars and Leto_II like this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I mean, I can see using the maroons as dress uniforms and not duty uniforms.

3. McCoy's Disco Collar

McCoy's Disco Collar Commander Red Shirt

They always made a lot more sense to me as dress uniforms.

They certainly don't look all that comfortable, and Nichelle Nichols in particular didn't like wearing it.

4. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

As a daily shipboard duty uniform, those Monster Maroons are impractical. I agree they make more sense as a dress uniform.

I would've found a way to repurpose the short sleeve, Class-B uniforms from TMP and combined them with a black trouser. Because those fatigue shirts felt more like the USN's working khakis officers used to wear aboard ship.

5. McCoy's Disco Collar

I think that's a great idea. This shirt, either in long- or short-sleeve version, paired with black trousers.

[​IMG]

The color scheme kind of reminds me of the original Operations uniform.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I still think if they'd used black trousers and boots instead of the sewn-in unitard booties, those TMP uniforms would have been a lot more popular with fans and actors.

Donald G, XCV330, nightwind1 and 5 others like this.
  6. fireproof78

7. McCoy's Disco Collar

I'm not sure that it would have, actually. TFF wrapped while TNG was still filming its second season. The film hit theatres in June of 1989. The double-breasted maroons didn't make their first significant appearance in TNG, and weren't established as being used in the interim, until the third season episode "Yesterday's Enterprise", which started shooting in December of 1989.

Seems pretty clear that if Shatner had been able to unveil new Starfleet uniforms in TFF, they would have been used for the "in between years" in TNG.

8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I was referring to Meyer wanting new uniforms for TUC, which was released in 1991, two years after 'Yesterday's Enterprise." I did make that clear in the post you quoted.

9. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

there are no pockets in the future, it’s gene’s vision. And even more so no zippers, enterprise isn’t canon!

fireproof78 likes this.
  10. McCoy's Disco Collar

Sorry, I intended to quote a different post, one about TFF. My bad.

You're right, it's possible that anything introduced in TUC would have contradicted what we had already seen in TNG. Unless they were talking about making minor introductions to the maroons, which would have been in line with the TNG approach.

I know that's often repeated, but it's not entirely true.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  11. jackoverfull

and there isn’t sarcasm in gene’s vision either, apparently.

12. McCoy's Disco Collar

I know, but some people do say it with all seriousness. And I appreciate any opportunity to post pics from TMP. :nyah:

13. fireproof78

Trek fans are not known for their sense of humor...

What's more interesting in the pictures you post is that pockets are perfectly acceptable...if they are not on the main uniform. In TNG Crusher's jacket some pockets, but not the main uniform. In TMP and TWOK the field jackets have pockets, but not the primary duty uniforms, aside from the jumpsuit style with one pocket.

It makes no sense.

14. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always felt the jackets in TWOK were meant to be dress uniforms which would make some kinda sense when the command crew was "guesting" as training officers and this is an official school function. And even in the beginning of TSFS because that's what they were wearing. All well and good but then Uhura and Mr. Adventure are wearing them on their "hind end of space" transporter duty (Earth is the hind end of space??? dude). The moment they become standard duty uniforms, it's stupid. They're heavy and they wear long sleeve turtle necks and then, I hope, undies. Then at the end of TVH, sure, because they're on trial when we see them again. All makes sense.

Shatner was 100% right to want to change them for his movie. I love the combat fatigues, they work and look great.

To give TUC some grace. Kirk and crew are on a diplomatic envoy mission, so dress uniforms would work yet again. So really, the short scene with Uhura and TFF are the outliers here. Even Generations: the Enterprise B was on a press tour so everyone dresses for success.

15. jackoverfull

I guess they are like salopettes today: they are really untrendy but you still find someone wearing them.
    I think he meant it was a boring post. Not many red alerts or other adventures in earth’s orbit. Kirk stealing the enterprise and the probe next month we’re probably the last notable events until the dominion attack a century later.
    no underwear in space! Sorry, wrong franchise.

16. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

God, that bland, shapeless, beige t-shirt with the huge belt buckle practically screams "I was designed in the 1970s!!!" to me.

17. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did they ever establish that the PerScan device was meant to double as a belt buckle?

18. JonnyQuest037

Not onscreen, no.

McCoy's Disco Collar likes this.
  19. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like someone just transferred over from Moonbase Alpha

plynch, Daddy Todd and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  20. JonnyQuest037

Exactly. The '70s were one butt ugly decade.