Spoilers ST Strange New Worlds - Starships and Technology Season Two Discussion

Could it be that shuttle have no NCC number because there are sunlight vessels, but runabouts can go FTL?
I've looked at runabouts as being essentially ultra-light starships in their own right. While some large starships like a Galaxy-class are big enough to carry a few runabouts in their shuttlebays, most are assigned to starbases, where they are used less as auxiliary transports and more like essential tools of their operations, IMO.

I've been thinking about this and I'm genuinely starting to wonder if the thing that merits an "NCC" number of your very own is whether you have a bathroom or not. Most shuttles seem to have all the lavatorial facilities of a standard family car (i.e., pull over and go in the bushes).
I wonder if it might be (at least in the 23rd century) that FTL shuttles don't have proper warpcores, and instead are just running off bottled warp plasma (as we've seen commoditized before in VOY and ENT) that would give them the speed to go out and do useful things but not the range to be treated as truly independent craft (like a runabout)

I've been thinking about this and I'm genuinely starting to wonder if the thing that merits an "NCC" number of your very own is whether you have a bathroom or not. Most shuttles seem to have all the lavatorial facilities of a standard family car (i.e., pull over and go in the bushes).
That seems to be a problem with smaller shuttles.

I'm surprised they don't even bother with a small airline lavatory.

I've looked at runabouts as being essentially ultra-light starships in their own right. While some large starships like a Galaxy-class are big enough to carry a few runabouts in their shuttlebays, most are assigned to starbases, where they are used less as auxiliary transports and more like essential tools of their operations, IMO.
RunAbouts are more like giant RV's / Tour buses in space.

This early Runabout (sic) has its own NCC.

Well, it has an NCC number on it. The number could belong to its mothership. The SNW style isn't appending the shuttle number to the main ship's registry (the Galileo just has a big "7" and a separate "NCC-1701" elsewhere, not an "NCC-1701/7"), so it's not obvious the way it would be under the TOS marking scheme if it belongs to another ship (and it wouldn't be the first shuttle that omitted or downplayed the shuttle's number, they were out of the way on TNG and VGR).

Now I really wonder if TNG Season 1 and 2 are part of the prime timeline, according to you. The amount of retcons that happened in the later seasons and the other 24th century shows is at least as big as between TOS and SNW ;)

Every episode is part of a separate timeline. Sometimes the timeline switches between individual scenes. It's like The Simpsons with faster-than-light travel.

eEomidt.gif

I wonder if it might be (at least in the 23rd century) that FTL shuttles don't have proper warpcores, and instead are just running off bottled warp plasma (as we've seen commoditized before in VOY and ENT) that would give them the speed to go out and do useful things but not the range to be treated as truly independent craft (like a runabout)

That's not really how plasma works though – a container of plasma is just essentially a box of (rapidly cooling) hot gas. It'd be like trying to bottle fire.

But it could be that they have fusion-powered warp drives that can only generate low-energy plasma for low warp factors. Warp 1 or warp 2 would be OK for interplanetary trips, but interstellar voyages would still be unfeasible – Earth to Saturn would take 73 minutes at warp 2, but Earth to Alpha Centauri would take about 22 weeks.

The TrekYards boys examines the differences between the SNW Connie & the LDS rendition of the SNW Connie.

That's not really how plasma works though – a container of plasma is just essentially a box of (rapidly cooling) hot gas. It'd be like trying to bottle fire.

But it could be that they have fusion-powered warp drives that can only generate low-energy plasma for low warp factors. Warp 1 or warp 2 would be OK for interplanetary trips, but interstellar voyages would still be unfeasible – Earth to Saturn would take 73 minutes at warp 2, but Earth to Alpha Centauri would take about 22 weeks.
Yes I know thats not how real plasma works, but none the less "space propane" is how "warp plasma" has been depicted in VOY and ENT. A commodity that is some how worth bottling up, trading, and shipping to some unspecified degree before being used to provide a source of power. Presumably subspace-bable about dilithium crystals makes the resulting electro plasma special hence why its always referred to as "warp plasma", though really its just more throw away treknobable when they need to say what a trader is asking for or what is on a freighter, like they do with other classics like "self sealing stem-bolts".

The TrekYards boys examines the differences between the SNW Connie & the LDS rendition of the SNW Connie.

It's not quite a starship thing, but speaking of the title sequence, has anyone noticed the weird little hitch at the end where the two converging moons slow to a stop after the Enterprise warps away between them, then start moving again when the fade to black starts? I'm assuming they needed to lengthen the shot a bit when they were editing together the opening sequence, but had already added the fade to black in such a way that it was separated from the main clip, so it wasn't affected by the shot being slowed down and no one noticed until it was too late (if at all). I was surprised they didn't fix it when they dropped in some new shots for season two. I'm not sure if I'm happy that it didn't happen in the animated version, or if it would've been funnier if they duplicated the glitch for consistency.

Anyway, if no one else noticed, I'm sorry that you will now.

It's not quite a starship thing, but speaking of the title sequence, has anyone noticed the weird little hitch at the end where the two converging moons slow to a stop after the Enterprise warps away between them, then start moving again when the fade to black starts? I'm assuming they needed to lengthen the shot a bit when they were editing together the opening sequence, but had already added the fade to black in such a way that it was separated from the main clip, so it wasn't affected by the shot being slowed down and no one noticed until it was too late (if at all). I was surprised they didn't fix it when they dropped in some new shots for season two. I'm not sure if I'm happy that it didn't happen in the animated version, or if it would've been funnier if they duplicated the glitch for consistency.

LOL. Now I see it too. Thanks :lol:

I hadn't noticed (damn yooooo!) but I always wondered about the weird timing on the delta-zoom at the end of the Picard opening credits. The changing speed of the zoom feels off somehow.

Every episode is part of a separate timeline. Sometimes the timeline switches between individual scenes. It's like The Simpsons with faster-than-light travel.

eEomidt.gif

Actually this was my headcanon explanation for these things. Even before ENT introduced the Temporal Cold War, I assumed that time travelers constantly messed things up in the past, without anyone knowing about it ;)

I never realized that the Spinning Orb Orion ships were the original "Orion Ship" design and that the Green "Orion Ships" in ST:ENT were by John Eaves and closely resemble 'Alien of the Week' ships.

I never realized that the Spinning Orb Orion ships were the original "Orion Ship" design and that the Green "Orion Ships" in ST:ENT were by John Eaves and closely resemble 'Alien of the Week' ships.
I mean if you want to get technical about it TOS wasn't remastered until 2006 (after ENT had ended), so technically the green ships for the green aliens came before the warp Ferris wheel. I do much prefer the latter aesthetic though.

I mean if you want to get technical about it TOS wasn't remastered until 2006 (after ENT had ended), so technically the green ships for the green aliens came before the warp Ferris wheel. I do much prefer the latter aesthetic though.
I do prefer the Spinny Orbs designs for "Native Orion" ship designs while the Green 'Alien of the Week' Ship Designs to be "Orion Syndicate" affiliated designs.

That would be a better fit IMO Lore Wise.

I do prefer the Spinny Orbs designs for "Native Orion" ship designs while the Green 'Alien of the Week' Ship Designs to be "Orion Syndicate" affiliated designs.

That would be a better fit IMO Lore Wise.
Except one out of two times we see a warp ferriswheel is in an action by what we can safely assume to be the Orion Syndicate. It could just be the case that Orion's are just less consistent and unified than than other races when it comes to ship building efforts.

Except one out of two times we see a warp ferriswheel is in an action by what we can safely assume to be the Orion Syndicate. It could just be the case that Orion's are just less consistent and unified than than other races when it comes to ship building efforts.
Or the Orion Syndicate is not as picky as to which vessels it hijacks for it's nefarious purpose?

They are a "Criminal Organization", as to which vessels they acquire, it's up to whatever they can get their hands on.

Indigenous StarShip designs or Foreign Models.

It doesn't really matter to the Orion Syndicate.

Native Orions might have some cultural pride attached to their own Indigenous StarShip designs.

The interesting thing is that they introduced me to the 9th method of Warp Field Emitter types.

I didn't think I would find one more out of the 8x different ways of emitting a Warp Field that I already catelogged; but thanks to the Orions, they are the 9th to be catelogged.

The interesting thing is that they introduced me to the 9th method of Warp Field Emitter types.

I didn't think I would find one more out of the 8x different ways of emitting a Warp Field that I already catelogged; but thanks to the Orions, they are the 9th to be catelogged.
Now that sounds interesting can I bother you for a list or do you have it written up somewhere already?

Back