Spoilers ST Strange New Worlds - Starships and Technology Season Two Discussion

Mark_Nguyen

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
The teaser trailer for Season 2 has been released, giving us a proper glimpse at the season's look and feel beyond a corridor scene and another teaser showing the crew being flipped around by horrible gravity anomalies.

- The huge virtual crew lounge is being seen again, after we were told it was a bear to shoot in!

- Another wrecked Constitution class ship? Or a Sombra, I guess?

- The return of the cool DSC away outfits?

- Klingons looking nice again - but still technically out of sync with TOS?!

- The SNW D-7?!

- Starbase 1 being seen from even weirder angles!

- Revolving doors confounding Starfleet crew just as they will in "The Royale"! But as a Canadian, I’m glad that it’s a Roots store that Kirk is trapped in. We’re sorry.

Mark

Last edited:
- Revolving doors confounding Starfleet crew just as they will in "The Royale"! But as a Canadian, I’m glad that it’s a Roots store that Kirk is trapped in. We’re sorry.
"Besides being from Space, isn't Kirk from Iowa"?

There should've been Revolving Doors somewhere on Earth, even when he was a kid.

They made a new lounge, so it might be that one, not the old one.
No, the shot with M’Benga and Ortegas is in the original, the new one is smaller and has no windows so cheaper to shoot. The shot with Una, Uhura and La'an drinking before it might be the new one.

My check of the alternate future seen in ‘A Quality of Mercy’ shows the piano-like ribbed console at 23:10 and 29:53, and I think during Una’s arrest back in the “real” timeline, too. Maybe it’s always been like that and I just got too excited at the sight of Cali-class invaders from the second dimension!

I doubt it. The only place I've seen it in is one overpriced hotel.
I see them in basic department stores & malls.
In Taiwan, it's more common to see those in department stores.

I would not expect Kirk to be familiar with all tech.
I wouldn't expect him to be familiar with all tech either, but a basic thing such as a "Revolving Door" isn't complicated.

see them in basic department stores & malls.
In Taiwan, it's more common to see those in department stores.
So not all areas have them. Kirk being raised in Iowa means nothing in this regard. There's no reason he should encounter this tech.

I wouldn't expect him to be familiar with all tech either, but a basic thing such as a "Revolving Door" isn't complicated
And? I know what a hammer and nail is but until three years ago I couldn't use it well. People stumble with unfamiliar tech, especially if they don't use it day to day.

And? I know what a hammer and nail is but until three years ago I couldn't use it well. People stumble with unfamiliar tech, especially if they don't use it day to day.
Really, until 3 years ago?

Have you never had to hammer a nail in your entire life before then?

I hope we see some TOS-ized Discovery era designs.
On a similar note, I recently learned a fan artist on this very board has done a TOS-ized interpretation of the Crossfield-class.
Alright, here is my new and improved Crossfield concept. This time I wanted to be more faithful to the overall shape from the show than my first concept. I'm still on the fence with adding the third impulse engine. Though if anything I think would look better with a single engine on the saucer as opposed to 2 at the back of the engineering hull...

FmsuU3U.png

1FEZ0Xt.png

AUrlEN3.png

Back