Spoilers ST Lower Decks - Starships and Technology Season Two Discussion

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Mark_Nguyen, Jul 13, 2021.

1. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not sure that's an intermix chamber. Might be a turbolift pathway. Depends on what parts of the ship the person using the display wants to pay attention to, right?

2. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I'm sure I've seen a zig-zag warp core like that before from someone scooching back engineering to account for the corridor extending out in front, but I'm having trouble tracking it down.

Also looks a little squished. I certainly hope no one is thinking about retconning the TMP ship to match the proportions of the DSC version.

Markonian likes this.
  3. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

The holodeck had an imperfect 1701 diagram?

Commander Troi likes this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Experimental engine core design?

5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty sure that's a turbolift (it looks the same as the ones on the Vancouver and Cerritos MSDs), and the warpcore is next to it.
    [​IMG]

Markonian likes this.
  6. Tuskin38

Daniel angle corrected the diagram, it originally looked like this, which might account for some of the distortion.

[​IMG]
    But I also think the image in the episode is squished (or stretched) itself, because look at the circles on the corners of the boxes.

publiusr and Markonian like this.
  7. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We see an interesting version of Boimler on the bridge of a Galaxy Class starship. Needless to say, I think we’ll be seeing a Galaxy-class ship in some way this season… Whether it’s THE Enterprise-D or not is unclear of course, but my guess is that it’s a fantasy of some kind, so they’re leaving the ultimate reveal of an E-D cameo a surprise. In any case, I highly doubt it’ll be some other class of starship, given how much time they’d have put into creating a fairly accurate recreation.

Mark

Mike McDevitt likes this.
  8. Mike McDevitt

Mike McDevitt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Did the Admiral actually say “capitol” ship though? Like the British slang for excellent, very cool?

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    This fan made Phase II cutaway, perhaps? It's the only other time I've seen the intermix shaft be anything other than one horizontal and one vertical. But the shape is entirely different.
    I suspect it's meant to be the intermix chamber, and they've fudged to try and keep to the old Star Trek Encyclopaedia's idea that engineering is deck 19 while also taking into account the corridor in front of engineering, which absolutely does not fit in the intended position and scale. But I guess we shall see.

It could even be a random placeholder plucked from google, hence the NX-01 graphics, but I doubt it (at least, I couldn't find it on a quick scan)

10. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

The callbacks to TAS animation style would seem to support the notion of DSC/SNW simply having their own “art style” that need not be referenced by other productions. You could imagine a live-action series largely ignoring what had been established for ships on DSC.

11. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

It looks like "they" wanted to fit the foreword 70' corridor going from Engineering. Maybe they have been reading our TrekBBS threads on the topic...:p

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    Commander Troi likes this.
  12. Mark_Nguyen

Cribbing this official (?) Paramount promo poster of the USS Titan and crew:

[​IMG]

- The original Titan novels were noted for the ship having the most diverse crew in the fleet (despite having two humans and a half-human in the three center seats). Here, Riker is flanked by a new non-Saurian XO at full commander rank and another new species as a relief counselor (if Deanna's on mat leave or one of her frequent early TNG trips to Betazed, or simply had that shift off when they came under attack) and of Lieutenant rank. The other two new characters are a Lt .Cmdr seen at a side station in the first episode (perhaps the Engineer?) and the unshaven Lieutenant at Tactical. The two speaking characters from last season are not seen in the premiere.

- In the first episode we had Boimler at the traditional Conn station on the Enterprise, but here he's doing more Ops-ey stuff while the Ensign at the matching station seems to be driving. Having two redshirts up front is not unusual (Worf was at frequently at Ops in TNG S1), and Boimler is supposedly still on the Command track, so it should be okay for him to be swapping around at this point in his career. Although, at the end of LDS S1 he was reporting more Conn-ish stuff, so...

- The Titan herself looks like the same model as last year, but somewhat less glowey. The lighting could be obscuring the windows on the secondary hull, which is a little to jarring to see to bare. [Edit: the show model doesn't HAVE traditional windows on the secondary hull after all, as confirmed from in-show footage of the premiere and finale. Even the novel cover art only shows a few of them total.]

- And hey! They're confirming that the Titan is in fact a Luna-class ship!

Mark

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  13. Boris Skrbic

It looks way too much like an Akira in practice, which isn’t OK just because the NX does also (from certain angles). The Titan should’ve been a more traditional design: clearly Starfleet, but hard as you try you can’t really pinpoint a specific inspiration.

14. Mark_Nguyen

Perhaps, but IMO the Titan is the latest in a long line of "let's flip the nacelles upside down to make the same thing look different" ship designs, going back to the Miranda class. The Reliant's production sketches show that she was originally meant to have the nacelles up top, but they flipped them to make it LESS like the Enterprise. Here, if you simply angled the Titan's pylons up and ditched the pod, you'd have something far more Sovereign in appearance than Akira in my view.

Mark

15. Boris Skrbic

The Miranda isn’t the best example since production illustrators had largely abandoned FJ’s modular approach whenever the budget wasn’t an overriding concern (which it never is for fan designs). You’d doodle, sketch and modify endlessly and eventually come up with new shapes that would then be physically built or CG-modelled from scratch. If you can look at what is supposed to be a moderately prominent design and think “Akira-class with hints of Sovereign-class”, it feels wrong for 2380.

16. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Imho, the Sean Tourangeau's Luna--class Titan is a beautiful design.
    I'm hoping that Captain Ezri Dax and the Vesta-class USS Aventine also receive canonization at some point.

That could prompt Eaglemoss to bring out both ships in XL format. :D

saddestmoon, DEWLine and valkyrie013 like this.
  17. Boris Skrbic

I hope they hire Rick Sternbach eventually.

DEWLine and Markonian like this.
  18. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the constitution class image. Could be a refit if some sort that gave it a different engine. Maybe in aircraft terms the Enterprise was a block 20 and the image is of a block 50 ship.

Or the msd is wrong like every other ship in this series.. :ack:

19. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

That's not the one I'm thinking of, but it might've been a basis for the show graphic, judging by the less-pointy back-end of the warp nacelle and the prominant cut out of the top rear of the nacelle pylon on both.

Timo likes this.
  20. Tuskin38

side by sides of the old and new model, and wow (just mute the audio idk)

publiusr likes this.