SPOILERS - Wonder Woman 1984 - Review Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by TREK_GOD_1, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Now I did watch and can recommend Soul.

wayoung likes this.
  2. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The new season of Letterkenny was my fav Christmas release, but Soul was decent.

3. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Remember that one issue where WW loaned her plane to a museum, and the other historical vehicles made fun of it? That was totally awesome. ;) :D

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I was waiting for Steve Trevor to say this

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like that the invisible plane was on display at the museum.

Ovation and Unicron like this.
  6. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

The Silver Age was full of wonders. :biggrin:

Mr. Adventure and Ovation like this.
  7. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

this movie was awful. There's almost no action for the first hour, and then too much pointless action after that. Cheetahs heel turn was stupid and didn't make a lot of sense, Wonder Woman was barely in costume, the way Chris Pine's character came back was really gross when you think about it, and the segments in the Middle East were very 80s in the worst way. Max Lord was okay as a concept, but nothing amazing. The movie Mostly bored me, and if you told me it was made by completely different people then the first movie I would have believed you.

Overall, this is easily the worst non Snyder DCEU/etc film, which sucks because Wonder Woman is probably the best. when it comes down to it, while this is better than Batman v Superman or Man of Steel, it's nowhere near as good as the first Wonder Woman or Aquaman films, and I'd even put it below Suicide Squad, Justice League, or the Harley Quinn film.

8. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I'm shocked, absolutely shocked, that you didn't enjoy it.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I saw it a second time today. I already enjoyed it first time but it greatly improved this time.

Honestly the only improvement I think it needed was tightening in the editing of the first half hour to 45 minutes. Patty Jenkins said WB wanted the flashback opening cut. But thats fine. It’s only 10 minutes. It’s really after that, another 30 minutes once we arrive in 1984 before Steve shows up.

Lots to like and love in movie. Great performances from all the main characters.

One of the biggest complaints I do not agree with it not enough Cheetah. Reminds me of the complaints of not enough Darth Vader in Revenge of the Sith. In that case fans wanted more of Vader in the suit. But Anakin was already slowly becoming Vader long before that. Even having the name long before that. We see Barbara transformation to a villain escalating through the whole movie. No problem with wanting to see more of her. Easy to imagine she is going to do everything possible to regain that power. She has over 30 years to do it by the time the 3rd movie takes place. Easy to imagine Kristen Wiig made up as a hot old “cougar” ;) who did everything possible to hold on to her youth. This is a world full of magic. Many ways she could return.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    LaxScrutiny, BillJ and Ovation like this.
  10. Serveaux

BillJ, Ovation and Dick Whitman like this.
  11. Dick Whitman

I should add - I had a half day off of work today. Went to a 2:30pm showing and was the only person for that screen. It was great. If anyone wants to see this or anything in a theater and is worried about safety - go in the afternoon. With few new releases available, this could be playing for months. They are going to keep make money from this. Not even counting HBOmax subscriptions.

LaxScrutiny likes this.
  12. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I would say it could have been 15-20 minutes shorter.

Other than that, I enjoyed this quite a bit.

When she wished Steve away...:wah:

LaxScrutiny and Serveaux like this.
  13. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Did you stay watching for the Lynda Carter cameo?

Really, Wonder Woman is the perfect human mate for the Man of Steel - Lois Lane being Woman of Kleenex. Wonder why WW pretends she can't fly when he's around?

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wonder Woman is as tough and strong as superman.

Wonder woman is magic.

Magic counters Clarks powers. Diana wouldn't be fucking Kal-El's brains out figuratively. Diana would be fucking Clarks brains out literally.

Woman of Amazonium, Man of baby wipes.

Although if you chain her bracelets together, she loses all her super powers.

Bound gimp vs nerd.

Sam was in his own body, but he was covered in the aura of the person or monkey that he replaced.

I'm thinking that some writers forgot this, like when the evil leaper Carolyn Seymour disguised as a prison warden, decided to bang a fraught wee lady inmate FOR SCIENCE!!!!!!

15. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not enough that you cannot wait for this to hit the five dollar bin at Wal-Mart. It is in no way worth the theatre or HBOMax price. Even as a $5 film, the best parts are the opening flashback to Themyscira, and some of Gadot's scenes, with the major exception being her using the body of an individual to satisfy her desires.

Even if Not-Steve was dead at the point of the exchange, he--as a free man--still had no choice in becoming a body for Trevor to occupy and Diana to use. Either way, Diana willingly accepted this sickening act and tossed morality and consequences over her shoulder. But Jenkins and Johns had no problem having the lead character commit such an immoral act, which is a total contrast from the Wonder Woman established in Batman v. Superman - Dawn of Justice and the Snyder co-written/co-produced Wonder Woman.

Even when she renounced her wish, her behavior was that of a spoiled child who only places the toy back on the store shelf because his parents told him to do so, not because he has accepted that as a rule of life, he cannot (and should not) get everything he desires.

Which shows just how clueless she is, since the Themyscira scenes were the necessary set up to foreshadow Diana's selfish nature (only appearing in this film, thankfully) and willingness to do anything to get what she wanted. Without that scene, her behavior would seem even more out of place.

16. 1001001

We did indeed.

:techman:

The hero's journey is always inward. She was tested, and she...eventually...passed.

LaxScrutiny and Serveaux like this.
  17. Dick Whitman

I think you need some lessons on reading comprehension. I specifically said that she fought for the flashback opening to stay in the film. It was Warner Bros who wanted it cut out to speed up the pace. This is the last I am acknowledging you. You often show that you bring your preconceptions to everything you review whether positive or negative.

The Realist and PiotrB like this.
  18. 1001001

The opening games were gorgeous, as well.

I kept thinking how great it would look in IMAX...

:(

Serveaux likes this.
  19. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

As did I. At the very least, the film had a variable aspect ratio, opening up where IMAX scenes were shot (didn't have too much impact on our living room TV, but certainly will on my home cinema screen when I have time to set it all up again in the spring--just in time for the Blu-ray release).

20. Serveaux

There's an agenda there that suffocates anything else that might be in the posts.