Spoilers Spider-Man Far From Home review and discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jun 27, 2019.

?

Grade Spider-Man: Far From Home

Poll closed Jun 26, 2020.
  1. A+ "Face it Tiger, you just hit the jackpot!"

10 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. A

27 vote(s)
    39.7%
  3. A-

5 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. B+ "With great power, there must also come... great responsibility"

14 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. C+ "The Spider or the Man?"

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+ "Spider-Man No More!"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F "Threat or Menace?"

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

No.

Just saw this with my 13 year old son. He loved it (just like he loves "grounded stories" with superheroes--as do I). I had a few more quibbles than he did, but still enjoyed it very much. Somehow managed to stay unspoiled about anything of significance. Didn't even know about the fake parallel universe thing, so momentarily thought this Mysterio might be a noble one.

Favourite bits include:
    • "I love Led Zeppelin."
    • The illusion battles (especially the first one after we learn Mysterio is "the bad guy")
    • JJJ
    • "Aren't we sharing?"
    • "If one more person knocks on that door, we're going to another funeral."

2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw the movie yesterday afternoon, but have been "collecting my thoughts" since then, which is why I'm only now posting a full review.

As a huge Spider-Man fan (he is hands-down my all-time favorite Marvel Comics character), I have been waiting and wanting to genuinely enjoy a film featuring the character since 2014's The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and it finally happened with Far From Home, something that is made even more significant when you take into account the fact that, with the exception of Thor: Ragnarok, I have grown ambivalent towards the Marvel Cinematic Universe in the last several years and have largely "checked out" of the franchise.

Despite being peppered with references to Avengers: Endgame, Far From Home felt like a film you could just sit down and enjoy on its own, telling a story that was built on what had come before, but was not solely defined by it.

It also managed to justify the thing that has been my biggest issue with Sony's current approach to the character as defined by the context of his place in the MCU - his idolization of and connection with/to Iron Man (whom I do love) - by using it to advance the development of his character instead of as a "storytelling crutch" as was the case with both Civil War and Homecoming.

Another strength of the film was Peter's attraction to Michelle/MJ, who was one of the "bright spots" in Homecoming and such a hugely refreshing and interesting take on the "classic" Peter and Mary Jane pairing that this film would have not been nearly as good without it.

I also loved that they made Michelle/MJ smart enough as a character to figure out Peter's secret identity as Spider-Man and then not immediately put her in mortal peril solely as a consequence of her making that discovery (there's nothing inherently wrong with that particular narrative choice, but we've seen it done a lot in the past).

My praise of the film may seem like it's universal, but there were some elements of it that fell flat for me, which I'm going to detail in bullet form:
    * Most of Peter's classmates - including Ned, who is supposed to be Peter's "guy in the van"/"guy in the chair"- felt superfluous, which made it hard to care about the substance of Peter's story ourside of his crush on MJ and the "meta-plot" involving Mysterio

* The way the film handled and presented Aunt May's knowledge of Peter's secret felt like a bad punchline and fell completely flat, as did the subplot involving her and Happy

* Beck's "villainous turn" felt extremely stereotypical and shallow, which was a letdown coming off of both Adrian Toomes' villainy in Homecoming (which was another "bright spot" in that movie) and the way the film had built up to Peter making the mistake of just handing him the very thing he was after; the way he was dispatched also felt rather anticlimactic

* Ned and Betty suddenly deciding rhat they weren't a couple any more once the trip was over made their interactions throughout the entire film up to that point feel pointless

* The film's presentation of Peter's "WTF" reaction to Beck posthumously getting the "last laugh" by both painting him as a villain and outing him to the world as Spider-Man detracted from the gravity of the moment and its future narrative implications, which was disappointing

Issues aside, I really did find Far From Home incredibly fun and enjoyable, and if Sony and Feige/his Marvel Studios team can avoid "whiffing the landing" with Spidey 3, they might just convince me once and for all that the licensing deal to make Spidey part of the MCU was worth it.

My overall grade: A

Gaith likes this.
  3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I thought you were implying something more sinister, like they were going to invade or something.
    Was the station in orbit? I didn't think they showed where it was, other than in space somewhere.
    An article I read on IGN theorized that this could be a set up to introduce SWORD in the next Captain Marvel movie. Their theory was that it they would combine it with the current version of Alpha Flight, and have Carol as it's leader.

4. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

While she isn’t Mary Jane, they did do reverse reveal (which was spoiled in the trailer weirdly) with her which is similar to who it went down with Mary Jane in the comics.
    I agree about his bizarre connection with Iron Man in this. He’s supposed to be indifferent to Tony. I suppose we won’t get the beat down until the next iteration in a few years. :)

5. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

They based Peter's relationship with Tony on the one they had in the comic Civil War before things went bad and May got shot and stuff.

6. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually feel that was very typical of teenage behaviour. Falling in and out of love and 'relationships' just like that.

Saw it last night. I really loved how the title reflected how Peter felt. Far from home, disconnected with who and what he is. His role as Peter, his role as Spider-Man. When he first met Beck, and showed his interest in the science behind the multiverse and then feeling the need to apologize.... Little bit heartbreaking.
    Very much enjoyed the movie, although to again have a villian motivated by hatred towards Tony is becoming a thing isn't it? Stane, Whiplash, Toome, and now Beck. Then again, Tony did manage to piss off a lot of people, even when he was trying to do good.
    MJ.... Wow, what a great addition to the MCU. This version really feels so much more like a person in her own right. Smart, clever (two different things), funny. Very interesting character sofar.
    I will agree with @DigificWriter that the secondary characters felt more like comic relief than adding anything. The comic relief worked though.
    Happy was a treat as always. I love John Favrue and really hope we will see him again as Happy.
    The illusion battle.... Man, that was insane. Could have been a tad shorter maybe. But it worked!! It felt like something right out of a comic. And the zombie Iron Man.... Dude.
    Peter coming into his own on the plane, finally being the person that Tony saw, but better.... That was nice.

Now, the big things.....The two endcredit scenes. I was, unfortunatly, spoiled for the first one. Still a kick in the teeth.
    The second one though..... made me say What The F*** a bit too loud in the theater..... Is this what Feige was talking about? Why he was going to wait with new anouncements untill after Far From Home? Did not see that coming!!

7. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I get that. Shame we won’t see the ending to that relationship in the films.

8. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Did they insert Beck into the BARF presentation scene from civil war or did they re-film the scene with an angle not previously seen in Civil War to place him there?

9. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Retroactive insert re: Beck's role in the MIT/BARF/September Foundation unveiling scene, I suspect.

10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

11. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

The airplane question is answered! :D

12. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

That interview confirms/clarifies that the "Talos and Soren" reveal stinger wasn't intended to be 'setup' for the future of the MCU as a whole (even though it could possibly retroactively become such) but as a thematic 'end-note' to Far From Home's internal narrative (and to explain away Fury and Hill's inconsistent behavior throughout the film), which is nice.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just remembered a couple thing I forgot in my other post.
    I liked how they had Brad as someone who was originally younger than the other characters, but then aged while they were gone after the Snap. That was a nice way to deal with it's aftermath.
    May working to help the people displaced after the Blip was a nice callback to her working at the F.E.A.S.T. Center in the comics.

14. USS Fardell

USS Fardell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Spider-Man: Far From Home
    The second Spider-Man film set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, 8 months after the end of Avengers: Endgame. The introduction scene with Fury and Maria Hill in the town in Mexico was a good introduction to what the film is about. But certainly more below. The memorial of Stark (and Rogers and Romanov) was also a good addition. Brant's annoyance at having to resit the mid-term exams after the 'Blip' was certainly believable. The planning of the trip to Europe was also well done.
    The scenes around the Charity event, and Peter realising that Happy and May are 'an item' were done really well. (As well as Peter continually ignoring Nick Fury's attempts at contacting him.) Flying out from New York to Italy, where Peter tries to sit next to MJ, but fails, due to Ned's bumbling and the teacher overhearing, were done well. Interesting references to the rest of the MCU in the in-flight movie selection. Ned and Betty getting together in the course of the flight seems a bit quick though.
    Venice. The teachers being responsible adults (of course). And one of the teacher's wives using the Snap/Blip as an excuse to run off? (Some people would I suppose.) Peter asking Ned why he would connect with Betty. (He did have a point.) But then there is the water elemental attack, and Peter helping the person whom Fury and Hill met in Mexico (except see below). The way they interact, and Peter makes sure people (including his classmates) aren't hurt was done very well. That Peter wanted to lay low was believable.
    The scene were Fury meets Peter in the hotel room (and constant interruptions keep happening) was done rather well. Peter wanting to go with his plans regarding courting MJ rather than wanting to help Fury, Hill and Mysterio with the elementals was believable. He is still a teenager, afterall, even if he had been to space as Fury points out. Fury then hijacking the trip to go to Prague, instead of Paris was an interesting development, but it worked. (The two teachers just believe that just happened? Why not?)
    But it is on the trip on the way to Prague where things get really serious. Stark had left to Peter an interface to a powerful AI, EDITH (Even Dead I'm a Hero). Events occur to cause things to get out of hand, and for him to accidentally call in a drone strike on one of his classmates (who had caught him in a compromising position). These events proceed in a believable manner. Give a teenager an interface to a very powerful surveillance AI, and that would happen. At least EDITH is not another Ultron.
    Prague, the events surrounding the Fire Elemental, both between Peter and MJ, and Spidey and Mysterio were rather well portrayed, especially the latter. MJ figuring out that Peter is Spider-Man was believable, considering that they are both 'into' each other. That isn't a mistake. But Peter's mistake, giving the EDITH interface to Mysterio is what sets up the rest of the movie. (Of course he's a villain.) The illusion sequence in Berlin was excellently executed. It certainly would be confusing to one who was in it.
    London. Of course, Peter wants to resolve the problem he helped bring about. So he goes to confront that con artist and save his friends. The scene where he relies on his spider sense (or 'Peter-tingle' to get past Mysterio's drones was also well done. Overall a very good film. 8/10.
    Mid Credit Scene. JJJ! Revealing Spidey's real identity. That will change things to be sure!

End Credit Scene. Talos and Soren filling in for Fury and Hill? We see where Fury is, but where's Hill? (Or has Hill been Soren the whole time?)

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

(Not a joke) There was a CCTV camera in Peter and Mary-James room in Avengers Tower. Stark liked to "watch" Mary-Jane.

16. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

This is one of the Marvel movies I've liked. The last 20 minutes are the exact same boring shit as the last 20 minutes of all blockbusters, but otherwise the movie is funny and sweet. Jackson gets to flex his considerable comedic muscles a bit more than in some of his other comic book walk-ons. MJ is the best MJ ever.

17. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I thought he was just joking about that stuff?

Anyways, it's hardly worse than how Xavier spies on the underage kids in his house.

18. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This movie version apparently didn't learn about or didn't care about that the rogues would be permanently imprisoned.

19. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

This possibly belongs in the ‘Endgame’ thread, but I was talking to a co-worker the other day about ‘Far From Home’ and since Spider-Man deals with the world post-Snap/Blip (whatever you want to call it), the question came up; what exactly does the general public know about The Avengers involvement in ‘The Snap’ and their failure to prevent Thanos from using the Infinity Stones?

As far as they know, the sequence of events was likely this . . . Alien attack on Manhattan/New York, Iron Man, Dr. Strange, Spider-Man kidnapped/missing in action.

Later that evening there’s a second alien attack in England involving the Scarlett Witch, Vision, Captain America, Black Widow and Falcon.

The next day or a so later there’s an attack on Wakanda and suddenly half the world’s population disappears.

One month later, Tony Stark reappears from deep space with Nebula.

Five years later, everyone who disappeared suddenly reappears followed by this massive alien attack on the Avengers compound.

We’re shown in Spider-Man that the public were told that Iron Man/Tony Stark, Captain America/Steve Rogers, and Black Widow/Natasha Romanov perished at some point during the assault on the Avengers compound.

At any point in the interim did Tony, Steve or Natasha (since she is leading the Avengers during the five-year gap and was their UN representative during ‘Civil War’) say to the public, ‘Hey, there was this giant purple alien running loose with these six stones that can rewrite the universe and cause people to disappear; and, oh by the way, we failed to stop him when he attacked Wakanda. But everything turned out alright because we traveled through time to collect the stones and use them to bring everyone back. Sorry it took five years.’

If that were the case, I doubt they would be treated like heroes. The most likely scenario would that they would have been arrested, thrown in jail and put on trial.

There has to have been some cover-up/withholding of information by all parties involved shortly after the snap or after Tony’s return, because, after five years, Bruce Banner/Hulk is being treated like a celebrity by children, and no one bats an eye at Steve or Natasha who is sitting with him.

Also, since Steve is clearly alive after the attack on the Avengers compound and attends Tony’s funeral, how is his disappearance explained? Do they issue a press release saying that he’s retired from public life, or he died later from injuries sustained in battle?

I doubt they’re going to say that he traveled through time to return the stones to their proper place in history; because, again, just saying that those stones are out there and still exist could cause all sorts of problems.

Personally, I think there was a minor cover-up involved. I’m sure the public was told that Thanos and the Infinity stones were involved in the initial attacks on Earth, but, after five years, the Avengers were able track down Thanos, liberate the stones, use them to bring the people back and Thanos attacked the Earth in revenge; resulting in the deaths of Tony Stark/Iron Man and Natasha Romanov/Black Widow, and Steve Rogers/Captain America has taken the stones for safe keeping and left Earth.

Just my two cents.

20. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Steve talked about Thanos to the people in his Support Group, so odds are the survivors knew what happened.

So they'd stick up for the Avengers when everyone else was restored.

Even Tony didn't know about what Ross was going to do to the captured heroes until he came to the Raft.