Spoilers Spider-Man Far From Home review and discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jun 27, 2019.

?

Grade Spider-Man: Far From Home

Poll closed Jun 26, 2020.
  1. A+ "Face it Tiger, you just hit the jackpot!"

10 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. A

27 vote(s)
    39.7%
  3. A-

5 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. B+ "With great power, there must also come... great responsibility"

14 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. C+ "The Spider or the Man?"

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+ "Spider-Man No More!"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F "Threat or Menace?"

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How many people do you think held a grudge because Obadiah "got shown the door"?

2. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Realistically speaking, Stark must have employed (directly or indirectly) tens of thousands of people over the years. With that kind of turnover even the best employer could still fill several rooms full of people with some kind of grudge or another.

Also, this guy was willing to commit mass murder because his boss gave his project (which his boss signed all the cheques for) a less than flattering name. That's not a disgruntled employee, that's a sociopath in the making.

Teelie, Anwar and The Nth Doctor like this.
  3. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In fairness, he considered the name a symptom of the fact that his boss fundamentally didn't take his research seriously. He also mentioned that he thought the use which Tony came up with for his technology was insulting and far too limited/unimportant.

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

...Oh OK, in that case he was totally justified in committing mass murder, millions in property damage, fraud and larceny, all in a bid for self-aggrandisement. And let's not forget framing a teenager for it all just because he dared to get in the way.

Seriously though , I don't care if Tony made him dress in a sailor outfit, eat his lunch in a comically tiny child-sized stool and table in the corner of his office while listening to county and western music 24/7; not even the most righteously pissed off former employee in the history of righteously pissed off former employees gets to justify any of that, let alone all of it. ;)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Anwar, Claudia and The Nth Doctor like this.
  5. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

They should've shown that. It would've been awesome.

Gavin70 likes this.
  6. Grendelsbayne

Totally (and obviously). I'm simply saying there was more to the character than just 'barf'.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

You know, I get the impression Gyllenhaal would probably have been game for it too.
    Maybe, but let's be honest though; that's pretty much what it boils down to. I mean the guy was clearly a colossal egotist to the point where I totally buy that being made fun of struck more of nerve than some esoteric concern about the implementation and regard of his work. It was all about *him*.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Considering how many villains in the comics are disgruntled in one way or another, I'd say the MCU is doing okay so far. Ego, revenge, and money: 99% of all Marvel villain motivation.

Anwar and The Nth Doctor like this.
  9. Grendelsbayne

It was all about him, I agree. He was just as insulted at Tony 'misusing' his work as he was about the name, not because his work deserved better but because he 'deserved' to have his work taken seriously and appreciated for its true potential. It was like Ultron's comment about humans using the most versatile metal in existence to make a frisbee, but if Ultron had actually invented vibranium and was disgusted that no one else understood or appreciated it (and by extension, him).

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I saw the film again today and I loved it even more the second time.

Because I know who Fury and Hill really are this time around, I kept a close eye on them to see if I noticed anything odd about their behavior (aside from what was discussed regarding Fury's level of paranoia and their general capabilities). One thing in particular stood out that I don't think I've seen anyone mention in this thread: In the final act, just before Fury receives Happy's phone call, the two of them very briefly talk about something regarding "Kree sleepers" (I think something along the lines of "no one knows about the Kree sleepers"). I'm not entirely sure what they said other than they did name drop the Kree. It's a very blink-and-you-miss moment and I wonder if it's a hint for things to come regarding Skrull and Kree relations.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

12. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is probably the best place for this.

Why do you think The Amazing Spider-Man films weren't as good or successful as the Marvel Studios take?

And in particular, why do you think the movie version of the death of Gwen wasn't well-regarded?

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

There really isn't any one thing you can point to and say "this is why it failed" since there were a number of factors.
    Weak writing, questionable casting, a desperate studio mandate to build a whole expanded movie franchise after just two movies (sound familiar? *cough*WB/DC*cough*), weird plot dynamics, redundant material and an almost total lack of anything that really felt new or fresh and that it had only been a few years since the last Spider-Man all played a part to some degree or another.

Marvel's version succeeded largely because it avoided all of the above pitfalls, though having an expanded movie franchise already very well established that they could just slot him into really helped.
    She was the only really interesting character and it seemed to have been done largely for shock value, some unearned drama and "because it happened in the comics."
    I mean how emotionally cheap are these movies that they killed off not one, not two, but three people close to Peter so that he'd feel guilty (and that's not even including the dead parents sub plot.)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  14. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I still love ASM1, flaws and all, and think that, had the sequel had a better, more focused script, it could have grown into a solid mini-Marvel franchise. But ASM2 was a tonal mess that felt very different in most ways, and offing Gwen was a poor move. In the end, though, we got both ASM1 and MCU Spidey, so I'm happy. :)

Captaindemotion likes this.
  15. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Beck is from Earth. Just not yours."

Captaindemotion likes this.
  16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

OK, we've got Homecoming and Far From Home, so what home word or phrase cane we use for the third one's title?

17. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

"Homeward Bound" where Peter falls in love with "Simon & Garfunkel." :D

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Spider-Man: Home Alone.
    Spider-Man: Home Stretch.
    Spider-Man: Home Field Advantage.
    Spider-Man: Funeral Home. ;)

Guy Gardener likes this.
  19. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral