Spoilers Spider-Man Far From Home review and discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jun 27, 2019.

?

Grade Spider-Man: Far From Home

Poll closed Jun 26, 2020.
  1. A+ "Face it Tiger, you just hit the jackpot!"

10 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. A

27 vote(s)
    39.7%
  3. A-

5 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. B+ "With great power, there must also come... great responsibility"

14 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. C+ "The Spider or the Man?"

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+ "Spider-Man No More!"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F "Threat or Menace?"

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  2. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

GET ME PICTURES!!! :p

DEWLine and Turtletrekker like this.
  3. Turtletrekker

4. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was lucky enough to see a screening this morning.

It's very good, the best parts of the movie are the interactions between characters when they aren't in their super hero get getups.

The fallout from endgame is heavy but not overwhelming.

Overall it's solid with a likeable lead as always, solid tier 2 marvel movie

Turtletrekker likes this.
  5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Looks like they turned JJJ into an Alex Jones type personality.

6. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Just saw it.
    Not my favorite Spiderman movie (spiderman 2 is still the best) but i liked this more than homecoming. This Spiderman feels like one that teenage girls will flock to see for Tom Holland and the romantic scenes. Parts of the movie just aren't for me. Or either i'm just old damn it.
    I didn't think they could make mysterio work but they did. Was never a character i had much interest in but they kept him fresh and interesting.
    Loved the ending credits. Nice holy crap moment there thats just so sweet. Marvel cannot do anything wrong.

7. Turtletrekker

The movie hasn't even been released yet, and we already know what one of the special features on the Blu-ray is going to be. Several of the scenes featured in the the trailers were cut from the film in order to get the kids to Europe faster. Rather than simply presenting the scenes as deleted scenes, they're being repackaged into a short feature titled "Peters to do list". A very cool way to make scenes that didn't make it into the movie canon.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spid...kbPnx9ofgnfckMmteZ32EtqOxrN8zqdZ1AuAxdWbjbS5U

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  8. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Please don't incite that name lol

9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Well hot damn, I fukn loved it. If the first movie was amazing, this one is definitely spectacular.

I won't pretend it's pitch-perfect 100% of the running time, but it's the kind of movie where I enjoyed it so wholeheartedly that I honestly don't care if a few little bits didn't work quite as well. I feel no qualms giving this an A+.

Edit: Also, it just occurred to me that this movie finally unseated John Carpenter's They Live as having the longest scene about between two dudes fighting over a pair of sunglasses. ;)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Alidar Jarok and Turtletrekker like this.
  10. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Just got back from the pseudo-IMAX 12:05 A.M. showing.

I give it at an A - few quibbles, once of which the post-credits scene actually explained away. As for the mid-credits scene, that scenario has been done with Spidey about a billion times. I'm hoping they do a unique take on it.

The final battle could have been trimmed by a few minutes, but I enjoyed the cuts between Mysterio, Spidey and the rest of the class.

Addendum: Nice tie-ins to the earlier MCU films in regard to Beck's gang and that end credits twist. Was Fury's simulation supposed to be Tahiti, a magical place?

Velocity likes this.
  11. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

A+. I was really into the movie the whole time. Definitely the best Spider-Man movie ever in my opinion. They managed to do something completely fresh yet still nail the character.

Commander Richard likes this.
  12. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My crowd loved it. Are we allowed to post FULL SPOILERS in this thread? Because the audience just loved tons of different scenes. Even dead I'm the hero. And then when Back in Black started playing. And pretty much every single scene with Ned and Betty. And those were top tier post-credit scenes.

And many many more scenes and lines in the movie seemed to get a great reaction.

My entire audience was just about to the point of booing and hissing every single time Brad appeared onscreen.

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Hey, who was it who punched Flash in the junk? I couldn't tell who it was.

14. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Is 3D viewing advisable or does it not matter as usual?

15. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Man they really messed up with the villain. I thought they were going to do something special with him and the multiverse. With Ultimate Mysterio being revealed to be the same as 616 one in the Spider-Men mini series I thought we were getting something similar here. Maybe even a way to tie in the other Spider fellas from the other movies. In stead they just made him a cliche disgruntled employee which we have seen many times before.
    Liked seeing the OG Jameson. That was spoiled for me but that actually made me more excited for the movie. The spoiler paradox at work there.
    They really need to separate Spidey from all this Iron Man nonsense. He really doesn’t need him. It just takes away the spider man aspect from his character.
    I’ll give it a B-. Better than Homecoming but I’m still not feeling the Spider-Man.

16. Caretaker

Don't know. I usually wait to see what Cinema Blend says on their To 3D or Not to 3D section.

17. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked that they addressed the “reappearance” but they didn’t go into much detail how messed up that was. Also, what about people who vanished from a plane or a high building that doesn’t exist anymore? Do they just fall to their death?

18. Caretaker

Maybe. Seriously, there's a whole series possibility in that concept (even if it is already being done as Manifest).

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

There's no point to having Spidey be in a shared Universe if he's not going to have connections to the rest of the Verse. And the comics themselves have been trying to move away from Spidey's usual Status Quo for a long time now, because it's run its course.

I don't see anyone complaining about how the Dead Spidey in Spider-Verse was basically Iron Man.

This sort of talk is what led to the X-Men writers thinking they could get away with the X-Men stories being more and mores separated from the rest of Marvel, a move which nearly DESTROYED the Marvel Comics Line by the 90s.

20. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought the post conversion was very good. I've seen Shazam and Toy Story 4 in 3D the year and wasn't impressed with those.