Spoilers Spider-Man Far From Home review and discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jun 27, 2019.

?

Grade Spider-Man: Far From Home

Poll closed Jun 26, 2020.
  1. A+ "Face it Tiger, you just hit the jackpot!"

10 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. A

27 vote(s)
    39.7%
  3. A-

5 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. B+ "With great power, there must also come... great responsibility"

14 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. C+ "The Spider or the Man?"

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+ "Spider-Man No More!"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F "Threat or Menace?"

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Home For a Rest, with apologies to the members of Spirit of the West...

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Spider-Man: Wakanda Drift

Nope, there it is. :bolian:

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Turns out Cobie Smulders didn't know Maria Hill was actually Soren until about a week before the film was released.

She said her and Jackson’s driving sequence used for the post-credits moment was from another scene that had been cut from the film, and Feige didn’t tell her about the twist until a week before the movie came out.

“It was added. I don’t know if it was necessarily at the eleventh hour, I don’t know when they thought of it. It was a surprise to me,” she said. “I bumped into Kevin Feige at a party and he said, ‘I gotta tell you something about what’s happening.’ I was excited, but I was also confused. I asked, ‘Well, where is she? What’s she up to?’”

Smulders went on to add that the reason her character seemed more stiff than in previous films wasn’t because she was knowingly playing Soren, but because she imagined Maria as “just over it” after the events of Infinity Warand Endgame. Of course, the big question is whether Maria has been a Skrull just for this one film, or for most of the series so far. Smulders said she doesn’t know what Marvel has planned, but in her eyes...the answer is no.​

4. DEWLine

Just for the one movie, I'd prefer to believe as a viewer...and yeah, seems to me that's a rotten way to tell Smulders what was up with that scene. And I do hope that she gets to revisit her MCU character regularly despite working on a series in a competing comics-to-TV universe now.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is Stumptown part of a bigger universe? I thought it was just it's own thing.

6. DEWLine

The original comics are still published by one of Marvel's competitors.

7. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm genuinely curious as to why some are upset that Cobie didn't know about the Soren-as-Maria reveal until after the filming of the movie was either almost over or entirely over, so could somebody enlighten me?

8. DEWLine

It's the latest instance of an ongoing pattern of not trusting (most of) their performers.

9. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Information is kept on a need-to-know basis in order to minimize the chance of leaks. What’s so wrong with that?

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I thought you meant it was part of a MCU/DCEU style cinematic universe.

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

OT-- the original teaser trailer to the first Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movie that made the rounds in the summer of 2001 only to disappear soon after the 9/11 attacks.

Hard to believe that this scene was never meant to be in the movie.

Teelie likes this.
  12. Captrek

And 18 years later they did it again, with the trailer featuring a “Spidey catching the crooks and delivering them to the cops” scene not in the film.

13. Turtletrekker

The difference being that Far From Home scene was originally meant to be in the film and was cut for time. The 2001 scene was always just meant to be for the trailer. Indeed, the scenes cut from Far From Home are going to be included on the Blu-ray, not as deleted scenes but as a little mini movie.

Campe, The Nth Doctor and Captrek like this.
  14. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With all the comparisons of
    new Jameson to Alex Jones, I'm guessing it's a comparison to a left-wing interpretation of Alex Jones? A maniac who's obviously wrong all the time?

If so I think that's a shame, my preferred version of Jameson was someone who was tough but fair and secretly caring of his employees and, while opinionated, a quality journalist aside from Spider-Man.

15. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I liked how
    in the first movie when the Green Goblin had him by the throat, demanding to know who the cameraman taking the pics of Spider-man was, he lied and said that they got the pics anonymously through the post, rather than land Peter in it.

Teelie and suarezguy like this.
  16. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Regrading the death -- probably because people weren't that connected to her...so despite in-story being powerful, the audience didn't connect.

And regarding the success... for me, it was the "purpose' of ASM.. had Raimi and Maguire stayed with the franchise... they probably would have ended with either #5 or even 6 by the time we see Spidey in Civil War. Maguire would have felt the need to retire, and th public would be VERY understanding of that. SO a new SPider Man would have been just fine in terms of timing and intent.

ASM , for me, was clearly a money grab from SOny to keep the license....so there was no real build up into it....like we can't wait for this new version! ANd i think i am not alone in that...

Did Maguire give a real "blessing" to the ASM films (as opposed to Lynda Carter with WOnder WOman or much more so John Schipp with the FLash)? That type of thing can create positive buzz. The way the Flash TV series did it....it pumped fans of the previous show to spread good word/vibes for the show, helping it becoming one of CW"s most successful .

SPider Man : HOMEy don't play that!
    Spider Man: Home is where there Heart is
    Spider Man: Home Made

17. Captrek

Peter Parker: Homework

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  18. Turtletrekker

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Godsdamnit, again? For Endgame, it made sense, but really? I've already seen it twice and loved it both times, but I doubt I'll got see it again for this new footage.

BeatleJWOL, Teelie and Turtletrekker like this.
  20. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

How about trimming four minutes of crashings and explosions out of the movie? :p