Space -- The Final Frontier Exit Lines

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Cakes488, May 12, 2009.

1. Bobatiel

Bobatiel Commodore Commodore

Re: Space. The final frontier...

Agreed with the above. Completely!

2. USSPhilippi

USSPhilippi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Actually, it was also said by Spock's voice at the beginning of The Search for Spock also.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Pine should've said them in THIS movie.

4. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the lack of the narration in the TOS films was a mistake, so I'm glad to see it used here and I hope they continue it through however many films this cast does.

If Shatner was not going to be in this film, then I would not have wanted to see Shatner's voice as the narration. Especially not the young Shatner of the 60's, which is the only thing Paramount could have used without having to pay Shatner to re-record it. Had he been in the film, I think it would have made sense to have him do it. But not the way the film was done.

Nimoy doing it made sense as a "passing the torch" moment. But, really, as others have said, it should have been Pine. I think that would have made the most sense.

5. Middle Earther

Middle Earther Commodore Commodore

I think Nimoy's was the best for this particular film as a transitional moment. It reminds me of the end of Generations when Shatner did it and changed "no man" to "no one" which I thought was a simple but powerful moment. The change to Pine should occur in the next film. Now the debate should be: should we ever put the narration at the beginning again?

6. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

VI, not Generations.

7. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aside from Shatner not being in this film of course...

He has his turn in TUC, did a fine job of it, now Spock has his turn. Which seems only fair, since he did show up to do the same job Shatner did in Generations, to provide a bridge from old to new (or in this case from one alternate universe to another).

Besides, hadn't TNG already been out by then and changed the narration?

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  8. BorgPhil

BorgPhil Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Nimoy should have started it, Pine should have finished it

9. Kruge

Kruge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You are missing the point my friend...

I like Shatner as much as it is proper for someone to like Shatner, but Abrams stated very clearly that Shatner was not interested in a voice over, or a cameo appearance, or a flashback scene, or the stupid "birthday hologram" scene they had written for him, or as the narrator, or as anyone else other than Kirk...Mr. William Tiberius Shatner made it very clear (in his unique, self-serving way) that if he was to be in Star Trek, he wanted a substanial role, at least equal to Mr. Nimoy's role as Spock Prime (Vulcanabots, roll out! Yeah, I know, I don't like it either, but that's what he was listed as...)

I really think deep down Shatner is probably a good guy...I think he has every right to be proud of his success, and he actually is more talented than he lets on, but lately, his foot stomping and whining about not being included in Star Trek is getting annoying. He tries to pass it off as all a big joke, but I watched a video in which he was shown the trailer of the new film...he sat their, loudly wheezing out of his mouth, and at the end was asked "So what do you think?", to which he replied "It's great...and by the way, I actually have a book out in paperback now, called Starfleet Academy: Collision Course, which is my version of Kirk and Spock's first meeting...", and the whole converstation turned to his new book (which I have just started reading...so far...well, let's say thank God they didn't ever film his version)

Bottom line: Mr. Shatner did not recite the famous line because he wouldn't settle for anything less than a substantial role..which is a shame, really, because he was such a big part of making Star Trek so iconic, and he has lived to see a whole new generation of fans get excited about the franchise...it's time to ride into the sunset in dignity, but we are talking about the Transformed Man here, so I'm not surprised :(

10. TrekLost

TrekLost Lieutenant Red Shirt

Pine can do it in the sequel. Hell, I won't be surprised if the teaser trailer for STXII is him doing it while scenes are shown that sort of fit.

11. Kruge

SPeaking of scenes, my only real let down with this movie was that during the end credits they didn't show stills of the film...I think I would STILL be laughing! :)

12. Kruge

Hey just a random thought...

It seems that the fad nowadays is to go out of the way not to label something "Part II" or "The Sequel", for instance "The Dark Knight", or "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" (as opposed to Transformers II or Batman: The Dark Knight)

So will the Star Trek sequel follow this trend? Would it be too confusing to label it Star Trek II? And haven't we had enough films with colons in the title? It'll be interesting to see where this goes...

13. Middle Earther

Middle Earther Commodore Commodore

Star Trek: The Sequel Without a Colon (D'oh!)

14. Kruge

Hey if you really want to Simpsonize the next trek, remember the episode where they are watching Star Trek XII: So Very Tired?

It could work!! :)

15. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If they had really wanted Shatner's voiceover that badly, they could've just grabbed it from TOS and used it. TOS was done back in the days before actors had control of their footage for all time. Trials and Tribble-ations was done, for example, without needing the conset of the original actors. Without their knowledge, in fact. So they could've used it.

But, again, I just don't think it would've made sense. First, it would have been 1960's Shatner, and second Shatner's Kirk had nothing to do with this movie.

16. Kruge

:lol:
    WRong wrong wrong!

Watch the film again...I saw it again two nights ago...I swear to you, at the very last scene, when Pine says "Bones!", it's Shatner's katra possessing him...

17. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

because he wasn't in the movie. it would have been weird and random to just suddenly hear his voice. i liked that they used nimoy's because he's in the movie and it's like his send-off to the younger crew like a little monologue as he watched this new ship with new crew take off.