Sonequa Martin-Green is Your DSC Star

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Balok's Decoy, Dec 14, 2016.

1. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

I've seen some of that as well. Only in groups that I dont know anyone, thankfully.

Three white people out of seven. One of them non-straight. None of them with seniority. It's the tumblr logic of being offended at everything spilling slowly and stupidly everywhere else in a weird attempt to complain for the sake of complaining.

Just once it'd be nice to log on and hear someone be positive about something.

2. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

I'm just curious to see if it's going to be the sixth Star Trek show with a predominantly male cast. :rolleyes:

Eric Cheung likes this.
  3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was a specific call for positivity from James that you just failed.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  4. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

She is from my home town of Russellville, Alabama, so I am delighted for her. :)

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

So essentially what I said they should do, they did: cast a familiar, up and coming actor with cachet--from being on a hit cult show already--as one of the lead characters as opposed to someone who is a big name or past the sell-by date. So far they are doing things right.

Shalashaska and Tomalak like this.
  6. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

Oh boy.... can you imagine the fake outrage on the Interwebs if Deep Space Nine (black captain, female first officer) and Voyager (female captain, Native American first officer played by a Mexican-American) were to premiere nowadays??

7. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

The pick is interesting in that I thought the character of "Number One" in ST: D was going to be the same character played by Majel Barret in 1965 for the original TOS Pilot "The Cage"?
    (IE - They were going to show what happened to that character after the events of the pilot.)

Guess that was just a hope of the fans, or plans changed.

8. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't recall that ever being suggested.

NOVE9 likes this.
  9. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

The characters were never going to be one and the same; instead, the initial plan was for the lead character of Discovery to be known ONLY as Number One in homage to Majel's character, although that idea has since been discarded (as, apparently, has the idea that she'd start the series known only to us as an audience as Number One, with her real name eventually being revealed during the course of the first season).

10. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Besides, the title of "Number One" is passed down from one officer to the next upon the previous Number One's decapitation. Sonequa's character beheaded Majel Barrett's, and the line continues to Will Riker, who for all we know still holds it. There can be only one Number One.

Also, excellent choice. She seems a fine actor and the way TWD is made we rarely get a chance to see her shine, let alone SEE her at all.

Mark

11. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

The big difference between Picard calling Riker his "Number One" and what happened with Majel and was originally going to happen with the lead character on Discovery is that, in Riker's case, it was a "pet name" used to designate Riker's position as Picard's Executive Officer, but was the only known identifier for Majel's character in "The Cage" and was initially going to be the only known identifier for Star Trek Discovery's lead protagonist.

12. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

[HIGHLANDER] "There can be only one!" [/HIGHLANDER]
    :biggrin:

14. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And spelling error, no "e" in grammar. :)

15. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

I find TWD to b a generally dull and loathesome excuse for entertainment and abandoned it back in S3. I do not recall Martin-Green's character sadly, so find it hard to comment on her quality.

However, for all its many, many failings, the producers of TWD have rarely hired a poor actor. It is in fact the utter shite they have their poor cast doing and spouting that hurts the most. The show is a waste of their talents. Still, it's hugely successful so I hope they are all well reimbursed for their involvement.

Re: contracts etc... prior to announcing her casting there would have been significant contract negotiations between CBS/AMC/Martin-Green's agent. No doubt most things have been hashed out regarding how much (if any) time she will now spend on TWD and if the producers require her for their story shooting schedules will be amended accordingly.

I hope she is able to benefit from both shows, giving her the opportunity to broaden her exposure. Still, in the end ST DISCO will be the little "niche" show out of the two and she is likely to gain far more exposure from TWD globally than ST at this stage. If I were her agent I'd try to keep her going on both - as long as it doesn't burn her out of course!

Hugo - so... any more female characters on this show???

TheSubCommander and Shalashaska like this.
  16. galad2003

galad2003 Commander Red Shirt

I'm pretty neutral on this. She is not a bad actor nor a particular good one either so I have no feelings either way. I'm a little ticked that I feel like I just got a Walking Dead spoiler. I will be expecting her character to die off now every episode I watch when it comes back although she is a secondary tier character on TWD so she could do both shows. On thee other hand her character arc on the show is non-existent so there is no need to have her on there anymore. TWD is so bloated with characters right now they need to trim some and her character really doesn't do much (huge waste of a potential character IMO).

Anyway, hope she does well on Discovery and this should be a step up in her career.

17. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:guffaw:

I agree with you though!

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

We know of two others so far, Michelle Yeoh as Capt. Georgiou of the USS Shenzhou and Mary Chieffo as L'Rell, the Battle Deck Commander of a Klingon ship.

19. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah for some reason I thought the three Klingons cast earlier in the week were all men. I thought we only had 2 ladies vs 5 men cast. Thanks for correcting me.

20. NOVE9

NOVE9 Commander Red Shirt

Well its already matched the highest gender ratio trek show so I'd say at least one more hopefully two.