Sonequa Martin-Green is Your DSC Star

I guess we know who dies in TWD when it returns.

I never liked her acting on TWD. Hopefully she's better on Discovery.

I agree. I've never been a fan of hers. I'm a bit perplexed by her casting in an important role. Hope she proves me wrong.

I've seen every episode of Once Upon a Time but cannot remember her at all.

Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. I'll have to go back and rewatch some episodes.

Which is interesting since Fuller said her name would be revealed later in the season. Leak, change or error?

I've only seen a few episodes of that but I guess it was when she was on. I remember not liking her then she showed up on TWD and never liked her acting on that either.

She was Neal's fake fiancée, that worked for the conspiracy to destroy magic.

I'm curious about what she is going to do with her hair.

A google Image search shows that she has tried a lot of looks over the years.

Seth Gilliam, according to the commercials, plays a major role in teen Wolf, airing now. Father Gabriel seems to have seen slightly less airtime than Sasha this season...yet he is still around, and might be for a little while. So perhaps the same with Sonequa??

He's just recurring on Teen Wolf. Presumably what happened is that when TWD wanted to sign him as a series regular, he asked if he could continue to recur on Teen Wolf, and the network allowed it. There might be a cap on the number of appearance he can make each season on Teen Wolf, that happens sometimes. But Teen Wolf would always be in second position... whenever they want him, they first have to get TWD to release him for those dates. If TWD says they need him at that time, Teen Wolf just has to figure something else out.

You can make that work with a side character in your ensemble, but you can't do it with a lead. CBS needs to know that whenever they decide to shoot Discovery, they are contractually able to have their lead there every day. The season 1 production cycle of Discovery might fit within TWD's hiatus, but what if you want to make more episodes for season 2, or shoot it at a different time of year? This entire production would then have to bend itself around TWD's needs. You cannot restrict yourself in that way. If she hasn't been released from her TWD contract, it's professional malpractice on CBS's part. It just wouldn't happen. The casting director wouldn't have auditioned her if TWD still had her, the network wouldn't have approved her, etc down the line. Trust me, if she doesn't die this season on TWD, they've already told her they're killing her at the start of next season and not picking up her full option.

(The big disclaimer being if the story of Discovery is that she nobly sacrifices herself at the end of the season. Or it's an anthology Trek show, though I believe some producer has already stated that is not what they're doing here? But if Discovery is a one year deal, yes, that could work with her continuing on TWD)

Never seen The Walking Dead nor her performance before, but I love her look and the fact that they chose a woman of color for the main character. Looking forward to learning more about her and her character. :)

How big is she on WD?
She is listed in the credits with the main title sequence (yes, Walking Dead still does an opening credit sequence). Though Walking Dead is very unusual in how it handles its main cast. Of the eight episodes that have aired this season, Sonequa Martin-Green has only been in three. By comparison, Andrew Lincoln (TWD's lead) and Norman Reedus (the fan favourite) have each been in five (but not the same five).

The casting has brought out the "pc casting" trolls on social media. Tiresome.

RAMA

I've seen both extremes of the crazy.

"Damn progressive Hollywood casting a black woman as the main character"

"Damn regressive Hollywood casting a black woman as the second in command, not the Captain."

Both positions are ridiculously stupid, although I tip it to the latter. The former is (unfortunately) normal, expected racism that comes everytime a woman/poc is cast - the latter is fun, new idiocy - especially when the Captain is a Chinese-Malaysian woman in her 50's and the series descriptions so far are that we are watching the main character as she rises through the ranks.

I'm curious about what she is going to do with her hair.

If it's not in a beehive like '60's Uhura in the "Prime" universe, I'm boycotting the show.

As for casting...I never care who the cast is in TV shows. If I did, I never would have watched "That '70's Show," because I didn't know a single actor in it (other than Kurtwood Smith, and I only knew him because he was the President in ST:TUC)

Hmm...I wonder instead of Vancouver forests (of say, Stargate), or fake desert worlds (i.e. Lost in Space and TOS), I wonder if they might have Atlanta be an alien world for an episode or two?

Back