Sonequa Martin-Green is Your DSC Star

Highly doubt she'll be able to handle both The Walking Dead and Star Trek at the same time.

She'll stick around on TWD the same way Fuller was supposed to be sticking around on DSC. And by that, I mean she's a goner.

As for the casting, I gave up on TWD a few seasons back, so I can't remember much about her character or her acting. The casting has been great so far though, so I trust whoever's making these decisions.

I like the casting. I think she can do both shows. She's not a main character in TWD and isn't in every episode anyway. Depending on the scheduling, she can probably do TWD when DIS is on hiatus (or vice-versa).

Well, while Trek has a good history of casting great actors it has not customarily done so by wooing actors who are gainfully employed under contract to other highly successful and popular shows. Barring the possibility that for the first time CBS is willing to bid up the price of an actor in order to sign them, perhaps upon reading the script and the part on offer Martin-Green saw something that strongly appealed to her.

That would be good.

Apparently each season of TWD films from late spring to early fall - plenty of time to fit in Discovery if they begin next month.

This as definitely got me interested.. I think it will depend on her storyline, to see where she goes...she has had a few good moments...not as stand out to me, as say, Morgan or Carol. But very interested to see.

Now don't forget -- she was pregnant on TWD, and was able to work through it . So maybe a similar thing with her. Also, Sahsa wasn't in the comic, so her arc is very up in the air. She might be assigned to defend Hilltop while the rest go to war.

Great choice, I'm pretty excited to see her on the show.

Well, while Trek has a good history of casting great actors it has not customarily done so by wooing actors who are gainfully employed under contract to other highly successful and popular shows. Barring the possibility that for the first time CBS is willing to bid up the price of an actor in order to sign them, perhaps upon reading the script and the part on offer Martin-Green saw something that strongly appealed to her.

That would be good.
The fact that this is the series lead should be enough to appeal to her even if she didn't even look at the script. She's a regular on The Walking Dead but when it comes to importance she's a secondary supporting character at best and being the show that it is she could be killed off at any time.
She also has to think long term, adding another series regular role (the lead this time!) to her resume will look much better than adding an additional year to her time on Walking Dead.

Maybe the shooting schedules allow her to do both but if not I doubt picking Discovery over Walking Dead was a hard choice.

The issue isn't really whether the shooting schedules match up well (unless Discovery is a one-year deal). Her contract with TWD would prohibit her from becoming a series regular on another show. A series regular contract typically even blocks you from recurring appearances on other series, the standard is that you're restricted to one-off guest spots during your off-season.

Now, if you're one of the minor regular's on a show, and some other series asks you to recur (or reprise the recurring role you had before starting the current job), you can ask for permission, and in my experience producers/network usually try to work it out, if there's a way to do so that's not too difficult for them -- helps to keep your actors happy. But contractually the regular job is in first position, meaning they can recall the actor if anything changes on their end, which happens all the time in production.

I have to deal with the minutia of actor contracts a lot in my career, so this is an area I know well. I've been on both sides of this type of negotiation several times. Basically, there is no way TWD would give up having her in first position, and there is no way CBS would sign an actress as the lead if they couldn't have her in first position (unless Discovery is a one-year deal)

I have read, that they already filmed the whole season 7 of TWD, which hasn't yet aired completely. Her character might still be in it and die an the end of the season. Then naturally they would write in the article, that she is still a regular in TWD, because right now that is the case and saying that her character will die, would be a spoiler.

It doesn't happen so often, that an actor is a regular on two series at the same time, especially when both series air on different channels. If her character dies in season 7 of TWD, she was free to search for a new job. That is how she might have gotten it. If CBS really got her while still under contract for season 8 of TWD, it would be unusual though not impossible. Maybe the TWD guys let her out of her contract, so she could take this big career opportunity. I don't watch TWD, but if her character is not particular important, it might have been easy for them to let her go and just kill her off at the start of season 8.

Last edited:
A new news article has been published at TrekToday:

Sonequa Martin-Green, best-known as Sasha Williams on The Walking Dead, will be joining Star Trek: Discovery this spring. She is the seventh...

Continue reading...

The issue isn't really whether the shooting schedules match up well (unless Discovery is a one-year deal). Her contract with TWD would prohibit her from becoming a series regular on another show. A series regular contract typically even blocks you from recurring appearances on other series, the standard is that you're restricted to one-off guest spots during your off-season.

Now, if you're one of the minor regular's on a show, and some other series asks you to recur (or reprise the recurring role you had before starting the current job), you can ask for permission, and in my experience producers/network usually try to work it out, if there's a way to do so that's not too difficult for them -- helps to keep your actors happy. But contractually the regular job is in first position, meaning they can recall the actor if anything changes on their end, which happens all the time in production.

I have to deal with the minutia of actor contracts a lot in my career, so this is an area I know well. I've been on both sides of this type of negotiation several times. Basically, there is no way TWD would give up having her in first position, and there is no way CBS would sign an actress as the lead if they couldn't have her in first position (unless Discovery is a one-year deal)

Seth Gilliam, according to the commercials, plays a major role in teen Wolf, airing now. Father Gabriel seems to have seen slightly less airtime than Sasha this season...yet he is still around, and might be for a little while. So perhaps the same with Sonequa??

On the CBS side... surely they would love this -- get free PR from Talking Dead, plus the social media... and if they chose, their ads during The Walking Dead would payoff in spades. It'd be a little less beneficial for TWD, but with the Star Trek attention, it can come back positively for AMC as a channel in general, and some of their other shows.

Seth Gilliam's character isn't that big a part of Teen Wolf, he hasn't been much since he started TDW and even before that he was only in a handful of episodes a season. So his character on there wasn't as big a part of that as his TDW character is.

I'm pretty happy with the casting of Sonequa Martin-Green, she's been good on both OUAT and TWD, so I'm sure she'll be good here.
I do have to wonder how long she'll do both shows, a lot of actors' seem to barely be able to handle a regular role on one show, so doing two at once seems like it could be pretty hard, especially when you're jumping from the southern US (Atlanta for TWD) all the way up to Canada (Discovery) . Even if they don't kill Sasha, I definitely don't see her playing a huge role in future seasons.

Back