So what are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by kimc, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Am half way through Brookmyre's Sacred Art of Stealing and like A Big Boy did it and Ran Away is better than the first time I read it.

2. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

3. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sadly I hadn't much time to read the last week, so I have only read the first two stories yet. They were decent, but both were told from a First Person perspective, with which I almost always have a hard time with.

BTW: This is from Dayton's introduction:

"I ended up receiving nearly sixty entries, all vying for one of the anthology's eighteen slots. Judging the submissions was every bit the challenge I'd been wanting. The energy and passion each writer brought to their respective story was palpable. I can honestly say that no story was rejected because the writing wasn't up to par. Instead, it came down to choices about how well an individual story reflected the anthology's theme, as well as how it fit into what I hoped was a well rounded, diverse collection of tales."

4. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    Finished Resistance, now on to DS9R book Warpath, which has been sitting on a shelf unread for some time.

About to finish the non-genre book too, and trying to decide what to read in its place. Have a collection of Poe stories a friend gave me for my birthday, so I think I'll start on that.

5. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i did mine from a second-person perspective. i think i was trying to be too clever.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just finished: The IDIC Epidemic. It was a very old-skool Trek novel, and enjoyable. I liked the bit where Kirk remembers seeing old videos of Imperial (bumpy) Klingons from first Klingon/human contact – I’ve seen that episode too ;-)

Up next: (re-reading) Asimov’s Foundation and Empire. I read the trilogy years ago, then recently ran into books four and five, so I’m working my way though the lot. Slow-burning, and a bit of a sausage-fest, but it sticks with you afterward.

7. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

I had no idea there were five of those.

8. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Last night I finished the Enterprise novel Kobayashi Maru. Very good. Now I am waiting for the next Enterprise novel to find out about the Romulan War.

I am now reading King Solomon's Mine by H. Rider Haggard as well as reading Full Circle.

9. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm almost done with the mindf*** that is K. W. Jeter's Warped - and please I hope any of his other stuff is better. Will be reading Criminal Minds' Finishing School once I'm done.

Also nearly finished DW Book 2 and will be moving on to DW Book 3.

10. CaptKirk

CaptKirk Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I am taking a one week break from Trek Lit to read Cussler's "Corsair"

11. T'Ressa Dax

T'Ressa Dax Captain Captain

Just started J.D. Robb's Salvation in Death, ending that particular dry spell. Haven't read one of her books since February.

12. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I recently finished Star Wars: Order 66. I'd put it about on par with True Colors, above Triple Zero, and well below Hard Contact for the RC novels. I'm really not a fan of the pro-Mando, anti-Jedi soap opera that Karen Traviss has written in most of her SW stories. I liked the stuff that dealth with events concurrent to Revenge of the Sith and Palpatine's new personnel and hardware, but unfortunately, there was very little of that to be had.

I'm currently reading Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King. It's hardly an original story idea, and it's a little padded, but I'm still sufficiently interested in the plot and characters to want to see the ending.

13. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting. Like you, I'd tie Order 66 with True Colors, but I think Triple Zero is the best of the bunch.

Both O66 and TC seemed a little too unfocused and a little too anti-Jedi, in a way that's inconsistent with what we see elsewhere. I think it's telling that there's only one Jedi character in the Commando novels that's not Traviss's own invention-- if Obi-Wan or Kit Fisto showed up, we'd have to confront the fact that most Jedi don't really act with the dismissiveness she attributes to them. Both novels spent too much time on this in favor of an interesting story; TC especially just seemed to amble from event to event.

On the other hand, HC was a little too much of a straightforward action story; I think Triple Zero got the balance just right between cracking story and good character work/introspection. The later books focused too much on The Morality Of Clones (and in such a one-dimensional fashion). Her characters become a little too omniscient and omnipotent; I have a hard time believing that only Omega could figure out what Palpatine was up to.

But even subpar Traviss is still well worth reading.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Traviss' Legacy of the Force books were enough for me. I don't want to read an entire series based around Mando worship. "Revelation" was just ridiculous.

As for me, I just finished Jim Butcher's Princeps' Fury. I'm eagerly awaiting First Lord's Fury, the final entry in his Codex Alera. When I first started the series, I thought it was okay, but not nearly as good as The Dresden Files. Now I wish Alera was an ongoing series, too. I don't want it to end. :lol:

15. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just started The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds the other day.

16. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Me too.

I also finished off the Trek novelization, Troublesome Minds, and Mere Anarchy, and was pretty underwhelmed by all three, though for different reasons.

Looking forward to Losing The Peace and the two DS9-PF books though, really a lot.

17. Tom Riley

Tom Riley Commodore Commodore

I recently finished Full Circle, I am now reading Star Trek: A Singular Destiny, with Over a Torrent Sea and Losing the Peace lined up for after that.

18. wahwahkits

wahwahkits Commander Red Shirt

England, somewhere between Liverpool and Chester
    Im on a complete New Frontier re-read, and have just started book 2

19. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

I'm about to start "Devil in the White City".

20. wahwahkits

wahwahkits Commander Red Shirt

England, somewhere between Liverpool and Chester
    Just about to start New Frontier: Book 3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.