So what are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by kimc, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wahwahkits

wahwahkits Commander Red Shirt

England, somewhere between Liverpool and Chester
    Started the third String Theory book this morning. I didn't enjoy the first two books one bit but since I bought all three books together I might as well finish them.

2. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Taking a break from Trek at the moment and reading Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser.

3. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Finished re-reading "Harbinger" a bit ago, in the middle of "Summon the Thunder" now and then I'll move on to "Reap the Whirlwind" all in preparation for "Open Secrets".

4. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I'm reading A Singular Destiny in eBook form with my 505 (Sony) and it's fine to read the articles and lists. Guess it's time to make that sacrafice and move to eBooks so you can actually read the text.

5. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Dude, you seriously need to chill out about these things :lol:

I mean, I just got a Kindle and it's awesome, but difficulty reading fine print in one book is by no means a justification for spending a couple hundred or more on an e-book reader. Yes, they're cool, but militant sales tactics tend to drive people away and posts like this are really getting there.

6. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm re-reading the Star trek Voyager book "Violations" by Susan Wright. A very good book! :bolian:

7. Hoshi_Mayweather

Hoshi_Mayweather Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On my list:
    *Shameless by Ann Major
    *Aftermath by LeVar Burton
    *Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

8. Thrawn

I just started Watchmen.

Oh. My. GOD. this is amazing.

I've never read a comic in my life, and I think I regret that decision now.

9. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I read it a couple of years back as my then girlfriend had a copy and was a comic book geek! I might read it again before I see it in the cinema though next Wednesday.

10. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

watchmen sucks.

read The Ultimates. it's about 500 times better. (but don't bother with Ultimates 3)

11. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's interesting you can go your whole life and never read a comic. I mean, who reaches the age of 25 and says, "I've never read prose in my life" or "I've never seen a film in my life"? Yet there's this one entire medium that's so... ostracized.
    Don't listen to this guy.

12. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I agree about Ultimates 3. It totally sucked donkey nuts. But you think Watchmen sucked...:eek::eek:! I've never met anyone who has read it and thought that... and I worked at a Comic Book shop for years. Watchmen is hands down, the greatest comic story in the history of comics. I didn't even read the book until it had been out for twenty years, but even after all that time had past, it was still leagues ahead of everything else. Books like Preacher, Transmetropolitan, Y The Last Man, and 100 Bullets are long form series that ran for 60 issues or more (100 for 100 Bullets) and those series come close. But Watchmen was perfect in just 12 issues:techman:. Hopefully you try reading it again, man. Hopefully you didn't skip any of the Pirate scenes or the text pages. Watchmen is the complete package. (Sorry for the rant, but i'm very passionate about Alan Moore's work.)

13. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Oh yeah...I've just finished Over a Torrent Sea and Harbinger. I'm about to re-read Voyager: Spirit Walk book 2 in preparation for Full Circle.:drool:

14. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

On my reading list of books I'm in the midst of reading are...

Star Trek: A Singular Destiny by Keith R. A. DeCandido
    Star Trek: Enterprise: Kobayashi Maru by Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin
    Star Trek: Terok Nor: Day of the Vipers by James Swallow
    By the Order of the President by W. E. B. Griffin
    Nation by Terry Pratchett
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
    The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester
    Neptune Crossing by Jeffrey A. Carver
    The Kruton Interface by John DeChancie
    The Dark Side: The Inside Story of How the War on Terror Turned Into a War on American Ideals by Jane Mayer

15. BryanSorensen

BryanSorensen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Currently:
    A Singular Destiny...Followed shortly thereafter by Over A Torrent Sea(just got this weekend) Hopefully by the time i am done with those 2 Full Circle will be out!

16. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished Creative Couplings (review pending), and since I still haven't found any of the more recent titles at bookstores, I've started Sky's the Limit (which I bought a while back but forgot to read due to a filing error). Also reading How the Other Half Lives by Jacob Riis (frightning for a number of reasons), Rebel of the Family by Eliza Linton (desperately in need of an editor to rip out large chunks of it), and Play it as it Lays by Joan Didion (and I have no fucking idea what's going on).

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

17. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

fat chance. if i hate something, i won't re-read it. why subject myself to that? the plot was ludicrous, the characters were all assholes and the Black Freighter guff was that: guff.

and yes, i did skip the text business.

i still think The Ultimates is a much better 'realistic superheroes with a satiric twist' comic. plus, i actually LIKE some of the characters.

18. Thrawn

Man, I haven't even finished the thing yet, but I'm loving it so deeply that that post is already getting my Righteous Fanboy Anger all huffed up.

I respect your opinion, but damn man, I don't think it could possibly be further from my own. This story has me by the throat.

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Watchmen is about ten different kinds of incredible.

20. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

I wonder if they'll do a movie novel on Watchmen, or if anyone's nuts enough to write it?

Just finished Federation, DAMN good trek crossover. Some of the bits made me lol a few times, but overall a very good book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.