So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Thanks for posting that review; that sounds awesome. I've added the whole series so far to my reading list.

2. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

I'm still thinking of picking up the Eric Brown books in the series. I really liked his early novels but hit a stretch in his books where he tried something different that just didn't work for me. This looks like it may be closer to his good old stuff. But Una's book is solid. She writes more in this series, I'm there.

3. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I just finished DRG3's wonderful DS9: Sacraments of Fire and have jumped back into WarDilmore's Seekers novel, Point of Divergence. I never finished it, and book #3 is coming our way soon :)

4. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

David Mack's The Persistence of Memory - in German.

Very exciting so far :)

6. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Making my way threw The Rift during my vacation. Pretty good so far. I liked that it's basically two novellas in one book.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've made some progress on my comic book reading. I finished The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes & Nocturnes last night, and started The Fantastic Four: World's Greatest this afternoon.

8. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Star Trek: The Next Generation: Armageddon's Arrow by Dayton Ward.

I then read Outcast, Volume 1: A Darkness Surrounds Him, a comic series by Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman.

I'm now about to start Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Sacraments of Fire by David R. George III.

9. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Posted my review this morning of the new DS9: Sacraments of Fire by DRG3.

Recently finished New Frontier: The Returned, Part 1. My review of that one will be up next week, and the Literary Treks podcast episode will be released tomorrow!

Currently (finally!) getting back to Storm of Swords, as well as starting TNG: Reunion by Michael Jan Friedman.

10. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

DS9: The never ending sacrifice

11. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've recently finished reading Green Mars by Kim Stanely Robinson. I've started on Blue Mars, the final book in the Mars trilogy. Although, in-between, I read John Green's excellent YA novel Paper Towns -- a bittersweet novel about lost first love and the first true comprehension of another person as another person. I highly recommend it.

I've also been picking up the TPBs of the new Ms. Marvel series from Marvel Comics. Kamala Khan is a great character, and the artwork is delightful! This also inspired me to re-read Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale's 2002-3 miniseries Spider-Man: Blue. I'm thinking of picking up Daredevil: Yellow by the same team. I also recently read a TPB of Brian Michael Bendis's Daredevil: The Man Without Fear.

I'm planning on reading The Dispossessed: An Ambiguous Utopia by Ursula K. LeGuin next. Does anyone happen to have any Daredevil comic recommendations?

12. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For Daredevil, anything by Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, or Waid is great. The Daredevil series on Netflix is influenced by the work of those four.

Also, if you're a fan of the Netflix series, I strongly recommend The Man Without Fear miniseries by Frank Miller and John Romita, Jr. Not only is it a great Daredevil story, it's also one of the best projects that either of those men have ever done.

The "Guardian Devil" trade by Kevin Smith and Joe Quesada was above average, but I don't know how well it's aged since initially coming out.

13. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finished High-Rise and rather enjoyed it. Now onto DS9: Sacraments of Fire.

14. 20fridge

20fridge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just finished Star Wars: A New Dawn. It's a promising start to the new expanded universe.

15. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished State of Emergency by Sam Fisher (not that one).
    I wasn't overly impressed. It's very "Thunderbirdish" though.

Now I'm on to Phoenix Island by John Dixon.

16. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Started New Frontier: Once Burned. I skipped it since I didn't like the whole Captain's Table idea, but after I read Stone and Anvil, I wanted to keep hearing about Calhoun's early days. Now that I've read the beginning of Once Burned, I don't have too big of a problem with the Captain's Table idea. It's silly but plausible in a universe where Q exists. Plus in this case, it's New Frontier so I can forgive it alot of weirdness.

17. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Once Burned is my favorite NF novel, and one of my picks for top 10 Trek novels of all time. You're in for a treat.

18. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love Blade Runner, but somehow never came around to reading Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sleep.

So, having an entire day to waste, read it today. It was good, but not the amazing novel I had expected. Although I knew it was going to be a lot different than the movie, I still went in expecting some sort of thriller. Still a good read, and I'm glad I finally took some time out for it.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I think Philip K. Dick actually said he thought Blade Runner was a better story than his book.

20. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really? That would be an interesting development. It does happen though. I remember Stephen King seeing THe Mist, and commenting that he wished he though of that ending.