Spoilers So now Discovery is 'synched-up' with canon

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Amasov, Apr 20, 2019.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, but since it is all cloak and dagger type stuff then they can just work it like the Section 31 series of books did, with a lot of classification and BTS manipulation of events seen, like the whole Romulan cloaking device theft by Kirk. All of this for fear of crossing canon lines.
    Star Trek is about optimism of the human race's future and action adventure. They can do that in any time period.

SJGardner likes this.
  2. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

That's OK, I expect the same amount of canon violation bitching in the Section 31 threads as there has been here. it not like its ever been a rational complaint anyways.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Canon shouldn't be driving the story.

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  4. fireproof78

And yet it here we are.

5. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Canon is only relevant to us,and not the wider audience?

6. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If we don't represent the wider audience, then what was Season 2 about?

Ronald Held likes this.
  7. fireproof78

Yes, largely.

serabine likes this.
  8. BillJ

At this point in the game, streaming services are chasing niche dollars hard. Which is why they probably mention the Prime universe each and every chance they get. There is a value to that mention, whether they truly believe it behind the scenes or not.

David cgc likes this.
  9. ITDUDE

But why? Didn’t JJverse prove there is value (potentially more so) in alternative timelines as well? I wanna see the bean counter who “proved” that Prime = $€£¥ and see his analytics.

10. BillJ

Until fandom post-Into Darkness poisoned the well. Naming it the worst Star Trek movie ever. Then Paramount overreacted and scuttled their own franchise. Feels like CBS could be on a similar path with Discovery bugging out of the 23rd century.

11. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

It's a real shame. CBS using Trek as a streaming hook means they basically just need to get Trek die-hards, which doesn't necessarily mean people who have Memory Alpha on the bookmarks bar, but the kind of people who stuck with '90s Trek all the way to the end of Enterprise, or always go to see every movie. The pool they're after, that they've gotten, is narrower than the mass-market success TNG or ST09 enjoyed, but it's still a much wider and less picky group than us, talking about it on the internet. Discovery seems to have proven that the market of people who will pay to tune into anything with "Star Trek" in the name is wide enough to justify spending a lot of money, but that's the real point; we'll all tune in to anything with Star Trek in the name. They're aiming at a small enough niche that they can afford to take chances, make more long-shot gambles, do more weird stuff and maybe hit the jackpot with a real large-scale hit. Instead, they seem terrified that if they make too many sudden moves, the kinds of people who didn't pull an Elvis and shoot their own TVs after watching, I don't know, "A Night in Sickbay," will cancel their CBSAA subscriptions en masse, so they put a crowd-pleasing popcorn producer in charge of the franchise and make a big deal about "respecting canon" rather than trying to make a show that the same number of people (or more!) would watch even without the Star Trek branding.

12. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Yeah, on that note, i have the feeling that it was less the Discovery production crew and more CBS who got cold feet on the pre-TOS setting.

burningoil, SJGardner and seigezunt like this.
  13. Alan Roi

I for one would not have paid to watch another series that threw out the first two seasons TNG & DS9, Voyager and Enterprise gave us no matter what brand was slapped on it. There's too much far better stuff than that (Disco included) on right now.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  14. BillJ

I'm not so sure about CBS. Companies are usually leery of making wholesale changes to popular properties. It is just an odd move if the show was as popular as Parrot Analytics makes it out to be.

I guess Kurtzman could've made one heck of an argument as to why the 33rd century would be better than the 23rd. But if it ends up damaging the show, then he could end up with his head on the proverbial chopping block.

15. fireproof78

My thoughts as well. The knee jerk reaction and fear of misspent funds is more likely to drive companies away from franchises than draw them in.

16. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, it was the worst Star Trek movie ever. Not that it had anything to do with in which timeline it was set, just like Nemesis being an utter piece of crap had nothing to do with it being set in the prime. Though interestingly both of those films attempted to remake The Wrath of Khan, and ended up as total disasters.

17. BillJ

There is nothing anywhere that agrees with that assertion. The movie is the highest grossing Trek movie and has solid marks at pretty much every review site out there.

It is the same crowd that continues to crow about Discovery being the worst Trek ever and that it is a failure and going to be cancelled any minute.

And CBS is making the same exact mistake Paramount did, by trying to change the show in order to shut those folks up. They may fall into the same trap Paramount did and damage their own franchise in the process.

burningoil and fireproof78 like this.
  18. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is my opinion that it is the worst Star Trek movie ever, whether anyone agrees doesn't really matter, though I'm hardly alone in the opinion that it wasn't very good. But the demise of the Kelvin branch is really not due any individual film, it is due them not making enough of the damn films, good or bad, thus killing the momentum. Personally I don't much care, as I never liked them, but from Paramount's POV it is silly. As you pointed out, even these crap films made shitton of money, so there clearly was a market for them.

Now I think CBS's audience is a bit different. It is more niche. Casuals might go see a big blockbuster space flick now and then, but they're less likely to subscribe to a streaming service just to watch Star Trek, so certain amount of pandering to the hardcore Trekkies makes sense for CBS. Though considering how enamoured everyone seems to be with Pike, the new Enterprise and the episodes with direct TOS callbacks, moving away from the 23th century certainly is the exact opposite of pandering to the fans.

19. Alan Roi

IMO, it wasn't Into Darkness that was the problem. It was that Beyond continued to attempt to mine the same emptied well. If Paramount went in a different direction then the movie franchise would probably still be OK.

20. ITDUDE

Beyond was fine. It was actually fun. What killed Kelvin Universe is Paramount being too cheap to pay the salary to both Chrises they agreed upon. They wanted their star power on the cheap. Well too bad. Pine and Hemsworth sure don't need Paramount as much as Paramount needs them.

serabine likes this.