So name a Star Trek moment that you just didn't "get".

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by enterprisecvn65, Jan 29, 2015.

1. enterprisecvn65

enterprisecvn65 Captain Captain

So what moment(s) in any Star Trek just kind of left you sitting around going "huh?" and wondering what was the point of it.

I'll try to narrow things down a bit, but if your post falls into this, that's cool.

I'm not talking about things like:

1. Obvious mistakes and things like that. Like when they clearly passed the decks out of numerical order in the rocket boot scene in TFF.

2. Things that were just ridiculous or poorly written. Like Kirk free climbing El Cap in TFF.

3. Things that were impossible based on earlier canon events that the writers obviously just ignored, and fans try to explain. Like in Relics why could Scotty say "I bet Jim Kirk himself hauled her out of mothballs" when Riker said he was from the Enterprise when Scotty had seen him "killed" on the Enterprise. People try to say Scotty was confused after being in the loop for so long when the truth is when they made "Generations" they just didn't care to keep it consistent with Relics.

4. Things that completely change from everything we've been led to believe about something. Like why did Picard, a man despite his middle age and slight build we were led to believe was a capable fighter who could kick a little ass, get so utterly creamed by Soran in about 30 seconds during his first attempt to stop him in Generations.

5. Technical inconsistencies like why, starting with TNG, if warp cores explode so easily in battle why aren't they surrounded by tons and tons of the strongest protective material available instead of a "shield" which is always the first thing to go off line in combat.

So with that in mind here are my top two moments I just didn't "get" the point of.

1. In TMP when Iila reports aboard and says that her oath of celibacy is on record to the whole bridge crew. I'm sure it's been explained elsewhere but, really, what was the point of that statement? I get Deltans don't have sex until they're married, or whatever they call it, but her saying it aloud makes it sound like there was some kind of petition circulating around the Enterprise for people to sign to line up to take your shot at getting it on with her. Or, maybe she knew Kirk's reputation with the women and wanted him to know she was off limits. Regardless of the reason it just made me go huh? It's like a crew member who comes from a society that doesn't drink alcohol stating to everyone that his oath of sobriety is on record.

2. In TFF when they are on Sha Ka Ree and Sybok calls out to God and there isn't any answer. They stand there for a few moments and then Kirk flips out his communicator to call the Enterprise and it seems like he going to say something like "We haven't made any contact at this time, stand by." or even "There's nothing here prepare to bring us up."

But instead he says "Enterprise we uhhhhhhhhhhhh." and then just trails off like he can't find the words to say. Usually when you're speechless it's because of great joy, pain or shock. I don't Kirk was overjoyed it seemed like a failure. I don't think he was really upset or shocked because he seemed to thing the whole thing was looney tunes even when they were beaming down. It literally seems like Shatner just forgot his lines, although I know that wasn't the case. So I just never "got" why Kirk was left speechless.

So what is/are your "huh" moment(s)

2. Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am Captain Captain

Deltans give off pheromones that make other species sexually excited. The bridge crew felt awkward because of that. So Ilia tries to reassure them.

3. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Kirk trailed off in mid-sentence because McCoy was looking at him strangely, as if asking, "Why are you contacting the ship?"

--Sran

4. JeffinOakland

JeffinOakland Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TFF is one big "huh?" moment. The movie makes no sense.

5. enterprisecvn65

Hmmmm never picked up on that. Explains it a little I guess. Still just didn't seem very "Kirk" like to me.

6. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

The entire situation was awkward because Kirk had no mission parameters to follow; he probably wasn't sure what his next move would be, because nothing in his previous experience as a commanding officer had prepared him to participate in a search for God.

--Sran

7. f14peter

f14peter Commander Red Shirt

My understanding is the exact opposite: that Deltan society is extremely sexualized, so much so it makes most other species uncomfortable and probably Star Fleet nervous that it could become a distraction or danger to operations.

the "Oath of Celibacy" I interprested to be a vow Deltans in Star Fleet take to not make the targ with two backs at the drop of a hat while on duty, keep their pheromones in check, or to not use their inherent wiles unethically. Worf probably had to take a similar vow, something like "in spite of Klingon custom demanding I do so, I will not kill you just for wearing white after Labor Day"

8. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

It looks like deltan women must be a lot of fun at parties.

Plus she was a dish (I say "was" because I learned that unfortunately the actress is dead), hair or no hair, wow! Even as a robot or probe of whatever.

There's something funny in that movie. (TFF that is)

Kirk asks: "Why would god need a starship?" or something to that effect. And that is a fair question.

A much better question though would be why would god be in one place and not everywhere and anywhere you want him?

Rendering this whole quest perfectly idiotic, especially considering how superior Sybok's mind supposedly is.

9. Ziriath

Ziriath Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I do not get all the Spock's Pon farr problem.

In Amok time, one learns that a Vulcan needs to have sex with that specific person (+ mind meld), or he dies.
    And later, we see one does not have to have sex at all, he can fight to death and be killed, or he can kill someone.
    Aaaand, then we see the defeated person does not even have to be dead, it just should seem so. And the person who he had mind meld with, was T'Pau.

So, why it was such a problem? It seems he just needed some vigorous physical activity. And mind meld with someone.

10. Kobayshi Maru

Not to mention that in TOS the Pon Farr seems like a well guarded secret, so much so that no one had heard of it, not even McCoy.

Yet in ENT, people keep talking about it, Trip and Malcom talk about it while drinking alien Mai Tais on Risa... Phlox knows everything about it.

What happened between ENT and TOS that we are not privy to?

11. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know you said you wee not talking about this, but I can't help myself.

Relics: TNG, Episode 6x04
    Production number: 40276-230
    First aired: 12 October 1992

Star Trek: Generations: Release date: 18 November 1994
    7th of 12 Star Trek films
    338th of 728 released in all

It's not Relics that is inconsistent. It's Generations that's inconsistent. The real reason for the inconsistency is that Generations was supposed to be Kirk, Spock and McCoy. Leonard Nimoy and DeForrest Kelley declined to appear in the movie, so they had to rewrite the movie and plugged Scotty and Chekov in place of Spock and McCoy. Yes, it was bad writing/oversight in Generations, but they had no choice as it was an 11th hour switch. Of course, using Uhura or Sulu in place of Scotty would have corrected the problem.

12. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

No, Spock said "take a wife," not have sex.

You missed it. Spock won the challange, T'Pring was his property by custom and law, end of that particular story.

Subsequent to that, Spock gave her away, but that was separate.

No, he needed to take a wife, which he did.

:)

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I can think of surprisingly few of these in Star Trek compared to other scifi, other than the standard scifi things. Like, why do all aliens seem to hold the human standard of beauty, no matter how little they look like humans?

If the Prophets can see the future, why did Sisko need to explain linear existence to them? Wouldn't they already know what he was going to say?

How come there are never lines at the holodeck?

How can one species ever successfully pose as another species and not immediately get detected?

Why do characters have to physically carry pads to each other to send somebody the information they carry? Even in 1987 you could network computers.

14. Kobayshi Maru

Even the ferengi whose females we find ugly, have standards of beauty that include ours. Like the two ferengi in false profit they surround themselves with women that we would find very beautiful, making Paris envious.

Don't get me started on that one. I find the whole idea ridiculous.
    What?
    Even though we can't even do that with ourselves. I mean, it's impossible to pose as another human being without being quickly detected, in spite of what they say in Mission Impossible.
    But you can put as much make up as you want, people will never believe that you are say Brad Pitt, even if you are surgically altered. Myriads of little details will give you away.

That's really stupid. I don't get why they didn't eliminate it in late series as it had become painfully obsolete.

15. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Was the cloud monster in Obsession deliberately leaving one person alive whenever it attacked a group? It was consistent about this, perhaps it was somewhat like a cat playing with it's prey?

I think he means a line of people to get in. Holodeck time probably is scheduled in advance, and a few might be held in reserve for duty related simulations.

:)

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

None of which is ever actually explained in the movie, so that "oath of celibacy" line just sort of hangs there without any context. Unless you'd read the press materials or novelization, it made no sense.

And we had never seen Deltans before so it's not like it was referring to some classic bit of Trek lore we already knew about.

I'm assuming that at some point there was supposed to be some dialogue somewhere explaining that Deltans were supposed to be too super-sexual for mere humans, but that exposition never made it into the movie . . . .

17. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not at all - the idea of God being in a specific place is an instinctive idea that often pops up. Churches, pilgrimage sites (e.g. Mecca, Jerusalem), the wilderness. And Heaven, of course. In TFF they specifically mention Eden; I'm sure some Christians think that's an actual place, and if you could get there you'd be closer to God.

They're intrigued by the way hu-man women have their lobes on their chests instead of their heads.

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

In addition to all that, sex with a Deltan is supposed to be so awesome that if a non-Deltan engaged in it, the experience would turn them into a drooling vegetable. Although at least they'd have life long contentment.

19. enterprisecvn65

I think that probably makes about as much sense of it as possible, although you'd really think his decades of starfleet would have him ready with what to do next. I guess though when you think you're going to meet "God" and it doesn't happen that's kind of not in the regs, even though Kirk really never seemed convinced it was God even once they were on the surface.

It was just so weird because every other time in the whole series when Kirk whipped out the communicator he knew exactly what he was going to say or order, so to see him just not know what to say was totally out of character.

My best guess on it over the years was that he might have felt bad for Sybok that his ultimate quest seemed to have failed (which it did anyway) and he didn't want to put salt in it right away by saying "Enterprise, nothing's here beam us up". Even that though I found flimsy because, after all, even though Sybok wasn't evil in the true sense, he still did hijack the Enterprise by force so I find it hard to believe Kirk was really sympathetic for him.

It really seemed like a blooper where Kirk was calling Enterprise for orders and Shatner just forgot his line. Maybe he was just in shock the rock monsters didn't appear :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  20. enterprisecvn65

I do agree with your first statement. I thought the original Star Wars triology did a good job with that, especially with the force. It was pretty clear that, despite Yoda's saying size didn't matter, that there were limits on how even the best Jedi could use the force. Like Yoda couldn't see the future, Luke couldn't use his mind trick on Jabba, apparently the Emperor couldn't just toss the whole rebel fleet to crash on Endor and so on. Which I thought was great because even the world's strongest man can only lift so much weight and Usain Bolt can only run so fast. Also, the force didn't control everything, free will existed too. When Luke left Dagobah it was his own choice to save his friends and not "The will of the force"

Of course then in the prequels he totally discarded that and they could do crazy unbelievable things and it seemed every major event or decision happened the way it did because it was the will of the force.

ST kept it pretty consistent. Vulcans had some telepathic powers, but weren't mind readers who could do it anytime they wanted. Data was strong, but it never got ridiculous to where he was like Superman and became invulnerable.

Good point.