Smallville#8-11: "Legion" Discuss/Grade <SPOILERS>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Jan 15, 2009.

?

Grade

1. SUPER

40.4%
  2. Above Average

46.2%
  3. Average

7.7%
  4. Below Average

1.9%
  5. BIZARRO

3.8%
  1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I was also disappointed by The Persuader. He's there for less than 2 minutes. I thought he was going to be in it more.

2. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

Good question though: HOW did The Persuader even KNOW to arrive RIGHT THERE and attack exactly THAT artifact? The Persuader is a mercenary...he didn't do it for his own reasons...he was doing a job. But WHO sent him? My money is on BrainIAC as stored in the future (unless they were serious about that Brainiac 5 reference). Maybe Mordru (!!). But Tharok isn't that bright and none of the Fatal 5 does much without his direction (discounting Validus, who is his own kind of chaos).

The answers will (potentially) lead to a follow-up episode, maybe even in the future now that Clark has a Time Ring.

BTW: Anyone seen this version of the flight ring available for purchase? I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it were really well made. The GL Power Ring I got a few years back is cute and all (even glows when you "charge" it), but it's just plastic. I want a REAL Legion ring!

3. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ There is a company that specializes in Smallville Props that sells through eBay. Give them a few weeks (it's where I got my House of El necklace and the necklace the signifies Journey).

4. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

This has to have been the best episode of the entire season. Not even the pointless and stupid scenes with Lana (why is she still here? wasn't she in the hospital with a bad leg injury last ep?) brought it down that much.

BTW, I am officially taking a bow for calling Clark getting a flight ring. [bows]

I loved all the touches in this episode. No one mentioned a big one: the picture of Alicia was page 1 in Chloe's Wall Of Weird book! Alicia being the first Mrs. Clark Kent (later annulled) and the person who revealed Clark's secret to Chloe.

5. DontFeedPhil

DontFeedPhil Fleet Captain

This episode was lame. The Legion team couldnt act their way out of a bag. And im really getting tired of the writers trying to make it superman but NOT superman. Its like they sit around in their room and say, what would superman do...Well then lets do the opposite. Enough with the Superman teasing. How many ways can they tease us with it. Yeah hes superman but hes not going to act like superman or do anything superman would do. And we cant have him dress anything like Supes except the colors...
    LAME

6. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Question for you: How exactly did he NOT do what Superman would do in this episode? Superman wouldn't willingly kill someone unless all other alternatives were explored - and that was exactly what was continued here. He wouldn't let them kill Chloe despite it being the most logical choice, he fought for a way to keep her alive as well as the billions that would die if BrainIAC continued.

Very much like Superman - he saved them all.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had to time-shift this one due to my workout commitments (hehe, I never thought I'd be finding myself saying that!). One advantage of that is being able to frame-by-frame the DVR on some of the better Chloe scenes (so close but no cigar :evil:).

Lana is certainly less annoying so far since her return.

I think Clark needs to maybe avoid taking hits from superpowered individuals. I mean take the bullets to the chest from the street hoods but maybe not the reaper scythes of baddies that suddenly teleport in. Oh yeah, and avoid any green-colored bullets and so on just in case.

They should have added Triplicate Girl but that's just me. The Legion were a little underwhelming. The guy playing Garth had me wondering if the casting director got behind and asked the guy working at Arby's if he'd like to be on TV. Though if that twerp mocked me for not flying I'd have to start practicing pretty hard. I did like the "no flights no tights" reference and the meta acknowledgment that Chloe isn't part of the normal Superman mythos. I liked too the origin of Brainiac-5 even though most of what I know of the Legion is from the Saturday cartoon.

Overall, a pretty solid episode, which Smallville usually delivers when they quit farting around with the FOTW and get to actual meat episodes at the beginning and end of the season.

As to the OT Bush comments, I haven't usually agreed with the guy but he only took 15 minutes to say good-bye, I think I can give with that.

Well, he got a Legion ring at any rate but it wasn't a flight ring. :)

8. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ I still have to watch the Bush farewell. CNN will probably replay it.

9. the Dagman

Oh yes it was. That's why Cosmic Boy/Rokk admonished him not to fly with it.

10. Mr. Adventure

Nope, it was reprogrammed to remove the flight functionality.

11. the Dagman

^Ah, I missed that line. Don't you hate it when people talk over the show you are trying to watch?

12. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Although now we know why 'Chloe Sullivan' isn't in any history records... she's CHLOE OSLEN!!! Jimmy's first ex-wife LOL

13. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This ep reminded me of Angel season 4 where jasmine took over cordelia and summoned the beast to do her bidding, much like brainiac and doomsday

I ilked this episode though, I was intrigued the whole time, I wonder if we'll find where lana's been and who shes working with

14. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ I believe that we will.

15. ElScoob

ElScoob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I enjoyed the episode, in the final balance. It wasn't spectacular in and of it self, but the wealth of Legiony easter egg goodness had me grinning and laughing and clapping like a goon the whole time.

The only point I really disliked was the Legion's willingness to kill Chloe. On the one hand, I see what they did there, with Clark inspiring the Legion to adopt his no-killing code in the end. Frankly, from a dramatic standpoint, it was probably more effective writing than to have the Legionnaires just say from the get-go, "Oh, we have a code against killing because that was the way Superman did it." You know, show-don't-tell. On the other hand, it kind of contradicted the episode's internal logic... if they knew so much about Clark and his history, and were so inspired by his exploits, you'd think the no-killing rule would be something they'd have picked up on without needing an object lesson.

And Clark was kind of a dick to the Legion, at first--not unusual for Clark as he's been portrayed in the show, but if three people pop in and save you from someone who's just whacked you in the side with a big honkin' Atomic Axe, wouldn't you say something a little more pleasant than, "Who are you people? What do you want?" I understand that Clark was still a bit upset and on the defensive after the Doomsday thing, but still...

--g

16. MilleniumLance

MilleniumLance Captain Captain

HAHA EMRA- "LETS HOPE BRAINIAC 5 WILL BE A LITTLE MORE FRIENDLY" NICE NOD THE THE GOOD BRAINIAC IN THE FUTURE

17. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Average because Time Travel has become a lame method of moving a story and/or characters in Sci-Fi in the last 15 years.

18. Mr. Adventure

But the Legion have been doing it for the past 50 so I think it's OK.

19. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ And I don't see the Legion changing that at any time.

20. the Dagman

People are usually complaining about how far away from the Superman mythos Smallville usually is, and now when they adapt an actual story from that mythos there is someone complaining because it used the story element of getting these four characters together that was taken from the source? My mind boggles. There really is no pleasing some people. :rolleyes:

Maybe people should read up on the history of the Legion before voicing such a complaint?