Skitz Interview where Beltran bashes Trek, Voyager, and Trek fans

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Navaros, Sep 17, 2008.

1. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who works for free?

Who doesn't have bills to pay, a morgage or rent to pay?

God forbid someone try to be an actor and keep up with the standard cost of living.

Like many in the entertainment business as well as many other forms of employment, simply leaving a job and getting a new one is difficult. Not one of the cast is an A-List celeb that has scripts thrown at them and even A-List actors only stay on top for so long. It's the exact reason why many of them took up a back up job, such as directing hoping they'd fild other avenues of steady employment.

Akiraprise is on point here.:techman:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  2. kissthestar

kissthestar Captain Captain

Beltran signed the contract, so he should have just done his job and kept his mouth shut until time to write a tell-all memoir decades later.

3. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Lieutenant

Who said about working for free? By all means, be a capitalist whore, just don't pretend you aren't one and are only bitching to some supreme being of conscious and higher acting roles.

Waaaa waaaaaa waaaaa. Acting is difficult, getting an acting job is sooo hard. Only if you're a shit actor. My mistake Robert, you are a fine actor. :guffaw:

He seemingly managed a living before Voyager so during it's run definitely would not have been a problem before he started bad mouthing everyone. Bit late now the guy is well and truly washed up.

You know Exodus, I'm sure Mr. Bitch knew exactly how hard the showbiz industry is before he decided to enter and he definitely should of known it is considered poor form to brazenly bitch about produces, fellow cast and writing when he knew he was in a position not to change a god damn thing.

What I find hilarious though Exodus that you managed to include Robert Beltran and A-List actor in the same paragraph. Funniest thing I've heard all day. :lol:

Exactly, that would have been the professional thing to do.

4. exodus

I guess you also aren't aware Kate Mulgrew complained publically when a the younger more voluptuous Jeri Ryan was used to promote the show over her, which then caused her to demand equal screen time.

Maybe you aren't aware too that Ethan Philips is also making public statements about the writers/producers about them not giving a shit about what the other actors wanted for their characters if it didn't envolve Seven of Nine.

Are you aware Garrett Wang is also complaining that the producers didn't allow him the oppertunity to learn how to become a director like many of his co-stars?

Looks like Beltran has support from his co-stars after all.

Interesting how so many others in the cast had issues with their bosses behind the scenes, yet Beltan is the only one to earn your title of "Mr. Bitch" and to have such strong yet uninformed comments leveled his way. If you're not Mulgrew or Ryan, nobody from the cast is getting a book deal. Not one of the other cast of characters became iconic enough to warrant a book deal.

As Akiraprise wisely stated: Everybody complains about their job. Mr. Beltran is no different complaining about his job than you are complaining about someone you don't know or the how's & why's of the industry he's in. At least Beltran is justified in his right to do so with actual facts to support it.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  5. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Lieutenant

I'm well aware that Mulgrew acted unprofessionally though I put that down to being a bitter older women jealous of a younger gorgeous co star who had great tits and a nice ass and could act :eek:. She seems to forget at one stage she was probably used for sex appeal as well.

I was unaware of Ethan Phillips, though he should have bitched from day one and left soon after. A truly horrendous character. Though he was well neglected before Ryan came aboard so his argument was kind of invalid. Especially as it didn't say Staring Ethan Phillips.

Wang has no place complaining seeing as he really should have been fired at the end of season three due to his rather lousy work ethic, something which he shares with Beltran. It's always the screw ups with issues that perhaps could have been avoided if they actually put the time and effort in.

Of course Beltran would have support from them. They did get stiffed screen wise, but it was nothing new. Also, they had poor characters and most of them were shit actors (Wang & Beltran definitely). Also, they were only co stars, not THE stars.

No other actor apart from Beltran was so brazenly vocal for such a long time, and no other actor let their work suffer by 'corpsing' or deliberately ruining a scene. He's an unprofessional idiot.

I know people don't like to hear it but Mugrew, Ryan and Picardo were Voyager. They make the show. They are great actors, have personality and presence. If the show had more episodes dedicated to Neelix, Chakotay, Kim or Paris I definitely would not have watched the show.

I'm not blind or stupid, you have already mentioned Akira's post. People always bitch about their job, however they do not bitch in front of a large audience, do it so publicly, so consistently or even when they are in a position to do something about it.

6. bintak

bintak Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh I took that read right away. Chuckles was having a jolly good time. He has his schstick down pat by now.. People expect a disgruntled ex-actor, and he gives that to the groundlings. I expect he takes us to be smart enough to see him wink at us in character.

I suspect that like most adults he's moved beyond the past and plays this character for the present publicity laughs.

It also keeps him in the public eye somewhat credibly in a left handed way-definitely better than being known as Bragga's squeeze toy for example.

7. bintak

bintak Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

:guffaw:

Actually there is a running gag I have going on the TNG board about Patrick Stewart and his Jean Luc Picard character being the chief reason why I cannot stand ST/TNG. Bad actor stuck in a gonzo scripted part!

The gag is something to the effect, that he is the REASON for all this Star Trek bashing outside the Trekker community.

My punchline after I usually trash him for some incredibly ridiculous nincompoop thing he did, or said, either in the series, or in real life is:

Worst Federation Captain ever!

If there is a Captain Clueless in Trek......he is it.

8. exodus

If people were given the oppertunity, I'm sure many would. You know, human nature and all.

BTW, try reading the openning credits more carefully, everybody under Mulgrew says "also staring". So in fact all nine cast members were stars of the show, production will also back this up as well.;) Trek is full of bad actors but in the past they still got equal screne time and their chance in the spot light regardless.

9. jongredic

jongredic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So that's what it's all about? :lol:

On topic though, I'm not sure what to make of the interview. If he is just playing his part as disgruntled Trek actor, then he's a much better actor than I took him for. I was convinced he hated us all. Except those of us with kshpeechhh impedimentkshhhh...

He makes me feel guilty for being a Trekkie. HE'S A BAD MAN! :scream:

10. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Actually if you read interviews with Mulgrew she was quite aware that she often got parts due to her looks. Her hope though in becoming the first Trek female captain was to create a part that would not be about looks but instead would inspire young girls. She felt that the Trek franchise was making a bold move in choosing to have a woman captain in the first place.

After a few years when they decided to bring on a "hot borg babe" she felt this was a step back for women in general. The thing is Janeway was before her time. Now we have shows like the new BSG which contains a lot of smart, strong, beautiful female characters but in the mid-nineties when Voyager was starting out this was not the case.

11. exodus

While all that is true, I do think Trek using characters like Kira, Dax & Seven, that not only can women be intelligent & beautiful but leaders of their own destiny. Seven is a representation of the modern woman in the man's world. She can be sexually attractive but not to be underestimated because there is far more too her than just looks. I think that's why she captured just as many female fans as Janeway. I think for some women it depends on where you see your place in the world.

Data now has a female equal as savior in the Trek universe.

12. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

He's so right about Voyager. 75% of it was exactly how he described. And 75% of every other series besides DS9 is as well, and even DS9 has those faults to a degree.

I don't blame him for being... expressive... about it. He had to speak that dialog for 7 years.

13. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fact of life: people complain about where they work. I think it's interesting to point out that for all the bashing on the show against the writers, the cast themselves were pretty familial with each other throughout it all.

Heck, Jolene Blalock bitched and moaned to the writers of Enterprise... because she felt there wasn't enough screentime for Malcolm, Hoshi, and Mayweather. I think that's pretty cool of her.

Frankly, if you're an actor who's not complaining about the writing yet you know something's seriously wrong, you're not doing your job. That's something my acting AND writing teachers have taught me.

14. Annie

Annie Captain Captain

15. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Lieutenant

They weren't the STAR though, which I was saying ealier, it actually hepls to bother to read a post before commenting.

Not at all. Troi, Crusher, La Forge, Jake, Tasha, Quark didn't get any where near the amount of screen time compared to others.

I know that, but what, can't Mulgrew deal with the fact that a very attractive women who flaunted her assets could also act as well? What did Mulgrew want some dowdy old woman to portray Seven?

I fail to see how it would diminish Kate or her work, just her gigantic ego and pride.

He never had to speak it, he chose to, big difference.

Complain to people that are actually in a position to do something about it, not to us. We don't write for the show and we certainly don't produce the damn thing.

The only reason Jolene probably bitched was so she wouldn't have to do so much work.

16. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Lieutenant

He comes across as very inarticulate, no surprises there.

About his analogy and car factory workers, the difference is proper actors are required to buy their product, selling their character that is. If they don't then it all falls apart and they are exposed as a poor actor.

He mentions Tim Russ became disheartened by the whole experience fair enough, though the difference is Tim never let it show in his performance and was not constantly bashing the whole thing all the time publicly.

17. brosy

brosy Ensign Newbie

Hi, I don't quite get why everyone is so worked up about all this. Everyone seems to criticise beltran for what he's said, but he's talking about writers and producers he actually knew and worked with. Your all saying this is wrong and yet your bitching about a guy none of you even know. So whos worse??

18. exodus

Amen!!!

Especially when many of the complains and reasons don't make a lick of sense.

19. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Mulgrew did acknowledge that Ryan was a talented actress in her interviews. It wasn't Ryan that bothered her but the attitude of the network suits.

20. Finnegan

Finnegan Captain Captain

I love that! :guffaw: