Simon Pegg on The Future of Star Trek

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Armus, Feb 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheTowerBridgeFox

TheTowerBridgeFox Lieutenant Red Shirt

Simon pegg is greast as Scotty he seems to have the ability to light up any film he apears in like a light hulb.

2. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I honestly think they should just quit with the theatrical releases and go the streaming route. No reason why Star Trek films can't be made for CBS All Access (or whatever it's going to be called now that the whole franchise is under one roof.) The whole Kelvin timeline exists because of the split ownership of the franchise back then.

But, say what you want about the first movie, but, it was hugely successful and unbelievably hyped. There was general excitement that extended beyond Star Trek fans. I truly believed Paramount totally mishandled the Kelvin franchise after the first movie came out. They should have struck while the iron was hot and got the next one out as soon as possible. Now, of course, all of that is dependent on the cast's availability, but, a full four years was enough for the thrill to wear off. In those four years, we saw the Marvel franchise explode with the release of The Avengers.

I remember so clearly that Beyond had almost no marketing leading up to release. The first trailer for it was released alongside Star Wars: The Force Awakens in December 2015 and it was that horrific trailer blasting Sabotage. You couldn't get any sense of what in the hell the movie was even about. I remember the audience laughing OUT LOUD when that trailer ended.

The movie was due out in July of 2016 and there was absolute silence after that first teaser came out. I think they released a few still images, but, otherwise - nothing. Paramount made no attempt to build hype for the movie until about two months before release at a press event. By then, it was as if everyone forgot it was coming. And it was a shame because Beyond was a great movie. Arguably, it felt like the most Star Trek out of all the Kelvin timeline films.

The film should have been released in September of 2016; the exact week the series premiered in 1966. By then, the summer competition would have died down and the only tentpole franchise film it would've competed with was Doctor Strange. Of course, by then, Beyond would've been out for a number of weeks.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    Khan 2.0 likes this.
  3. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I've said this before, but nuKirk is really young "80's movie/pop-culture expectations" Kirk, and not young "TOS" Kirk.

4. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

that trailer probably shaved a good 100m off the final box office total!

Smellmet likes this.
  5. Racefuel

Racefuel Commodore Commodore

It's what happens when you don't have a father figure to follow.

XCV330 likes this.
  6. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    IIRC, the sale of international distribution rights for DSC to Netflix put the show in the black before they even aired.

7. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

From what I remember of it, the anniversary special itself was very watered down. It just had the standard stuff the previous anniversaries and documentaries had and then signed off.

The show itself wasn't that heavily promoted either--I found it by accident.

I would have thought it would have been a huge blowout with all the actors participating, filmed in front of a live audience thing, books, models, toys all marketed. It was like everything was taken for granted.

The series had a lot potential, but I feel they botched it as well.

Just a theory, but I think one of the mistakes of Beyond was that it tried to pass the impression that a lot of time and bonding had already passed, when to the viewer, not much of either really happened.

No one really got used to the Enterprise, so it being destroyed didn't leave a reaction. The Mccoy/Spock dynamic felt missing even when they tried to show it - they spent more time on action scenes.

The Spock/Uhura breakup never left much of an impression because we didn't see enough of it, other than the two movies.

I think from the very start, the series suffered from rushing everything and quickly inserting everyone into their roles without us seeing them naturally grow into them. Too much action and skipped over too much.

And that ultimately ended up affecting Beyond- it burnt out too fast.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  8. Gracewood

Gracewood Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Your analysis feels more like you are looking at the film as a 12 to sometimes 22 episode TV season where you can tell more stories but you are right to some extent that Beyond could have done more with the characters. it is a movie that was more plot driven than character driven, so we don't see much of the spock/uhura relationship, Kirk wanting to leave star fleet for personal reasons or the Bones/Spock dynamic. all this played secondary to trying to stop Krall.

9. Khan 2.0

Smellmet likes this.
  10. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

F. King Daniel and Malaika like this.
  11. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have a migraine right now but I must have missed the source that tells them Chris Pine has finally signed for trek 4 now.

As for a a Spock spin off, it isn't crazy to imagine. .but not that rumored plot. Spock is too smart to not understand that going back in time to save his mother isn't a genius idea and he might just get trapped into another alternate reality.
    When they mentioned Zoe Saldana also being into it my first thought was they were planting the rumor of a spin off inspired by the comics where Spock and Uhura take on a sabbatical on new vulcan. That's a new planet that could surely hide mysteries, drama and problems to resolve and you could easily feature the rest of the cast thus the Enterprise trying to help them at one point. If you want to spread a rumor, that's a more believable story to me than the one from that article.

But yeah, I don't believe this either way. I see potential in using some of the storylines from the comics, especially if you want to expand the movies to TV as well, but I doubt they are planning anything like that.

12. Khan 2.0

This "Spock Spinoff" sounds like another attempt at Orci's Shatner ST3 (that was seemingly adapted for the Hemsworth ST4) altering the timeline so Nero doesn't screw everything up

13. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah it sounds like recycling previous rumors to make new rumors.
    Orci's script, from what he said, only tempted the characters to use time travel but no actual time travel would be involved.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can imagine a Spock and Uhura adventure without the rest of the crew. And I can imagine it being about Spock trying to save his mother since he's lost so much and ST'09 was the most universally liked of the Kelvin movies.

I doubt it'd happen (or even that the rumour is true), but if it does I'll watch.

15. Khan 2.0

its most likely BS. but yeh itd be a fun watch...

how many rumoured/false start Trek movies is that now since Beyond era? Orci's ST3, Hemsworth ST4, Tarantino Trek, Fargo Trek, and now 'Spock: A Star Trek Story' - just need one more and it equals the TOS movie run

16. F. King Daniel

The TOS and TNG movies had a few false starts as well:

Spock-kills-JFK sequel to The Motion Picture

The very different STIII where Spock stays dead

The Academy Years, with bookends featuring DeForest Kelley

Star Trek VI: In Flanders Fields by Walter Koenig, where a mission to make peace with the starving Romulan Empire ends in a massacre of the TOS crew. Only Spock and McCoy survive.

And in Next Gen...

The alternate Generations where Picard summons a hologram of James T. Kirk for advice

The Heart of Darkness-ish Dominion war movie where the E-E crew hunt down a traitor

The Justice League of Trek, where time travel rescues Data and unites characters from all the shows against a team of villains similarly plucked from the timestream

That ENT-era Romulan War movie with Kirk's great-grandfather Tiberius Chase as a fighter pilot

Even for Star Trek 2009, there was a non-reboot, non-Nimoy, Prime universe story treatment written by Orci and Kurtzman about Kirk and Spock's first meeting at Starfleet Academy

Khan 2.0 likes this.
  17. Racefuel

I still wish STID had left in the deleted sequence, shown in the comics, where TOS Khan was surgically altered into CumberKhan

18. Khan 2.0

id like this to be the next kelvin cast movie. go out with a bang (walter can do a quick kelvin retouch with Orci)

F. King Daniel likes this.
  19. F. King Daniel

That was never a deleted scene from the movie. It was invented by the comics after the fact to appease angry fans.

As far as I'm concerned, Khan Noonien Singh in the Kelvin Universe always looked like Benedict Cumberbatch.

Khan's TOS backstory is an ugly mess anyway. He's not a Sikh since he's clean shaven, has a waxed chest and only wears a turban in a painting, he's a white-skinned Mexican playing an Indian in brownface, and by Wrath of Khan they've (wisely) ditched the brownface and of course at no point does he sound at all Indian.

20. Racefuel

Ah I thought it was a sequence from STID..or was it a deleted scene meant for the end of ST09?

Unfortunately the past is easy to get mixed up like that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.