Simon Pegg Calls Out 'Star Wars' For Having Most 'Toxic' Fandom—While Praising 'Star Trek' Fans

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Skipper, Jul 23, 2022.

1. Prometheus59650

Prometheus59650 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Presidium Apartments Overlooking the Sushi Place
    Rogue One was actually decent. Liked it a lot better than Solo.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  2. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

For me Rogue one is the best Disney Star Wars movie

3. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

Ok, controversial opinion time (and it's sad that I have to couch it that way): I like all of the Star Wars Disney output to one degree or another, including Rogue 1 and Solo. The absolute weakest for me was Book of Boba Fett, but it still had a lot of good in it. I am MUCH more likely to watch something from the Sequel trilogy than anything in the Prequel Trilogy. YMMV.

The Nth Doctor and fireproof78 like this.
  4. Prometheus59650

YMMV indeed. Honestly, I almost bailed on Boba until I found out that Mando and The Baby were going to show up. They appeared, Boba basically disappeared, and the show was better (for me) because of it.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
    Set Harth likes this.
  5. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

I would think Resistance was the weakest link. No one really talks about it.

6. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Resistance was the weakest link. That’s why nobody talks about it. :)

The Wormhole and The Nth Doctor like this.
  7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Resistance really doesn't seem like a show anyone really put much effort into. It's like the Suits wanted something that could fill the gap between the end of Rebels and the launch of Disney+ and Resistance was the solution to that request.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Mandalorian, Andor and Rogue One are the best things Disney SW has done.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
    Skipper, USS Firefly and 137th Gebirg like this.
  9. Dee1891

Dee1891 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked "Rogue One" slightly more than "Solo".

Those two episodes about Din Djarin and Grogu were the worst aspects of "Book of Boba Fett" for me. Not only did I loathe them, but I also found those two episodes incredibly boring.

10. Prometheus59650

They were the show's only saving grace for me. Otherwise the whole season was boredom. The Book basically solidified Boba's position as a firmly mediocre character who, up to that point had done nothing but follow Han to Bespin and ship the Han-cicle to Jabba before falling into a Venus Flytrap. I don't know where this notion of Boba as a badass ever came from because it's never been on screen.

The only real question has ever been how he got out of the pit, but he doesn't even MacGyver his way out. It's nothing particularly clever. Then he gets into town and it's basically him sounding like a bored middle management who, when push comes to shove, really isn't all that badass because other people do most of his fighting for him. He's not particularly fierce and his greatest gift seems to be the middle management talent of being able to spot and hire good people.

I have no doubt there's gonna be a S2 because Disney has to make that $4B back, but, lesson learned for me.

Set Harth likes this.
  11. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Books. One of the "Tales of..." anthologies had Fett take out an entire Imperial base single handedly to get a target.

It's funny to see the positive reaction to Din because Boba started out the same way. A cipher who looked cool and occasionally did cool things. His notoriety became established in novels as this cool killer bounty hunter and people built up the image in their minds of super badass. I know a lot of people who just like the way Fett looked, talked, that extremely cool exterior with a certain presence.

Why I like BoBF is because it made him more than a cipher. He became a person with a difficult history, a damaged sense of purpose and finding new purpose. The show may not be for everyone but I love it, and actually like Fett now. I used to hate him.
    Definitely the low point for me of the series. Especially the first episode which ground the story to a halt to catch up with Din...ugh. I don't loath them, but I find them quite misplaced.

Jedman67 likes this.
  12. Prometheus59650

Yes. And that's great, but also sad.

13. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's pretty badass in the comics as well, including the new ones.

14. fireproof78

Sad for who...?

Many of the SW fans I know have a greater affinity for the books over some of the films or series.

15. Prometheus59650

Sad for people who primarily or exclusively get their Star Wars from what's on screen and don't invest overmuch in the books.

16. fireproof78

Maybe, maybe not. I enjoy the books but had no investment in Fett as a character. I quite actively disliked him in books, ignored his stories in comics, and didn't play as him in video games, like Battlefront. Yet, BoBF is one of my favorite series, and touch me quite deeply.

So, who is it sad for again...? Because on screen Fett is far more what I want from a character than book Fett. :shrug:

17. Prometheus59650

That's the difference, I guess. I would have liked a guy who was a little more book version and to see him become something else, but, as it is, I feel like he started out as nothing and pretty much stayed nothing to the end of the season.

18. fireproof78

If I want a badass cipher suit of armor I'll watch Mandalorian or play a Fett video game. Fett in the films has little to draw me to him. Fett as a character showed more growth and interest to me in this series.

Mileage will vary, and obviously does.

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked the Sarlacc/Tusken flashbacks significantly more than the 'present day' Boba material.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
  20. Prometheus59650

It did add some depth to him and in a way I wasn't expecting.