Shouldn't have done that

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Laura Cynthia Chambers, Sep 20, 2017.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Enterprise1701 likes this.
  2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes thank you Paris. I meant to say Jefferson Blackner being a character I don't like in the Ds9 Books.

3. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

No worries. Sorry to be a stickler, but it's Blackmer. With an "M".

4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Personally I like the Blackmer character,he seems to be fallible and prone to mistakes in a way that Trek characters aren't generally allowed to be.I really wish the book series would 'settle down' and give us more stories focused on the station and it's new crew.Much as I love them but books focusing on Garak and now The Robinson aren't really DS9 anymore.

Plus,they shouldn't have killed Vaughan.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

7. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I agree that was also a big mistake.
    I am reading now Plaques of night, which is a great book except for the last page. They talked about how Vaughn was the captain of DS9 for a couple of years. Are there books of that time period that I miss?

8. Claudia

Claudia Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But Blackmer is the new first officer on DS9, IIRC, Reanok.

I think the worst decision was to resurrect canonically dead characters, like Data or Trip. Granted, with Data it was done in a unique way, and not so much a resurrection but a continuation in another form. Still. Death has to mean something, and just because the movies went with resurrection with Spock doesn't mean that that sort of reset button should apply to every one else.

And talking about resurrections: The worst idea was to resurrect Janeway. Destroyed the whole balance of the Voyager-fleet, turned Chakotay back into her mascot, and herself into some kind of divine being that can do no wrong.

Splitting up the DS9-crew wasn't too good an idea since with how few books we get it takes too much time to actually catch up with everyone. And quite frankly, right now I'd rather see the follow-ups to Ascendance and especially Control than follow Sisko on his G-quadrant mission (with another crew that I don't quite care about).

Hooking up everyone and having them have children all at the same time... gets boring.

secret missions left and right - especially missions where our crew turns out to be on the wrong side, at least overtly, like Tezwa. Thwarting conspiracies, of course, but ousting sitting presidents and remanding them to their deaths by S31? Very much no.

9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

IMO Trip's resurrection was handled fine as well and it make sense, kind of. It is a holoprogram being viewed 200 years later.

10. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A lot of the stuff going on with DS9 has me shaking my head. The characters moving on to other assignments, religious vocations etc.. just feels forced and contrived. All of these characters have been made to move on but just end up back at deep space nine and i feel like it's detrimental to the new characters that being introduced, who are all terribly bland at present. Add to that all characters from the Robinson, who are also fairly bland and it just makes the books a slog to get though.

Titan being recalled to Federation to take part in the events of the fall, felt forced as well. Whilst i thoroughly enjoyed the Poisoned chalice, i was disappointed that Titan was removed from its exploration mission, Riker being made an admiral fell flat for me. I feel like The Poisoned Chalice should have focused on Sisko and the USS Robinson. It would have made more sense, considering Sisko was present at the assassination, instead he gets sents to the Tzenkethi border a mission with the exception of the rescue of the USS Argus, was uneventful.

11. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agree regarding Rikers promotion and Titan's relegation to AQ scut-work duties.I've never seen much point to the Christine Vale character.

12. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not so far, no. But I haven't yet read DRG3's newest book (and to be honest I haven't yet decided if I'm going to), and it's possible there may be flashbacks to that period in that story.

In my version he was only captain for about six months, because Kira had been captain for three years instead of two (well colonel and captain), and Vaughn handed over command to Ro pretty quickly.

The way I calculate it, Kira was in charge for three years, Vaughn for about six months, then Ro for three years before it blew up, plus two years on the ground base on Bajor, plus about one year on the new station, totalling six. So Ro has been in charge almost as long as Sisko was at this point.

13. Ensign_Rowan_McGrath

Ensign_Rowan_McGrath Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Data's death was saddened before B-4 gave hope part of him at least survived and Cold Equations gave a better way to explain his return then Countdown did.
    I headcanon that the holoprogram is just an RPG where any character (Trip, Reed, Travis, Phlox, Hoshi, even Cutler or some random other new senior officer from 2161) could die and when Riker did it, his decisions led to Trip's death that time.
    Janeway's death was dumb (as was the entire 2380 Borg arc to be honest). I'm glad she came back though it would've been better if she went back to the Alpha Quadrant to replace Admiral Kenneth Montgomery (a complete arse in my mind and worst EU character ever) as head of the project, allowing a descent distance instead of putting in charge of a fleet that suffered too many casualties and should've been cancelled. Just wish that arc never happened at all.
    When it comes to the DS9 characters post-series, I never agreed with Ezri Dax going into the command track as I felt it was a unique thing for a Dax host to be different from the others. Jadzia seemed like the commander not Ezri, she is too kind for command. I didn't like Kira Nerys leaving the military/Starfleet and becoming a religious figure. That just isn't her in my opinion.

Alwaystrekkin likes this.
  14. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

What decisions though? He didn't make any.

15. Ensign_Rowan_McGrath

Ensign_Rowan_McGrath Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Maybe it isn't a conscious effort, maybe like joining the shuttlepod team or not, maybe being the chef or not.

16. Guest12

Guest12 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I liked almost everything about Kirsten Beyer's Voyager takeover except killing Jarem Kaz. He was the only of Christie Golden's new crew that I actually liked (and I just don't find the new doctor interesting at all).

Kilana2 likes this.
  17. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I quite agree, except that I came to like Dr. Sharak later on. He didn't have much scenes in the beginning, but I liked his interactions with Sam Wildman.

Jinn likes this.
  18. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wish they hadn't killed off Yar, then brought her back as her diabolical, fiercely-loyal-to-Romulus, half-Romulan, half-alternate-timeline daughter.

19. Spike730

Spike730 Captain Captain

I didn't like that they broke Bashir and Ezri up.

20. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd agree with most that making Kira a Vedek is probably the worst character change that has been made. I did think for a while that if we had actually experienced her move in that direction rather than be confronted by it after the time jump it might have worked but then they actually showed what happened and it was utterly unconvincing.

The removal of pretty much the entire cast of reboot characters from DS9 is another problem with the series at the moment as are the recent developments around Ro.

Agree also that Harry Kim becoming security chief hasn't worked - as good as the Voyager relaunch has been he's still a dead weight in the series and I don't buy him in security at all.

I'm not fond of bringing characters back from the dead but I feel killing Janeway was their other worst move so I don't mind so much in her case.

In terms of stories nothing is worse than the recent revelations around the influence of Control on the Federation.

Alwaystrekkin likes this.