Should they bring back Janeway?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by F. King Daniel, Apr 7, 2010.

?

Bring back Janeway?

Poll closed May 7, 2010.
  1. Bring her back

151 vote(s)
    57.2%
  2. Keep her dead

113 vote(s)
    42.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

And now Nightcrawler has (at least temporarily) joined the ranks of the dead. :( Auf wiedersehen, elf, You will be missed... for as long as you're gone. ;)

I do have a sense of where the MJF's are coming from. When Marvel killed Captain America, I had a similar reaction and even stopped buying Marvel comics... for about two months. Then I got over myself (ahem) and realized what an epic tale that Ed Brubaker was spinning. Now I see the whole "Death of Captain America" arc as one of the best I've ever read.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  2. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honestly, Bucky as Winter Soldier being spun into Cap's Successor, was a great arc.

3. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Was that a deliberate falsehood or a misunderstanding of the guidelines? Quite frankly I'd heard that argument brought up several times outside this thread by a wide variety of posters. I can see how one could get the mistaken impression that the submission guidelines dictated what Pocket could and could not do. Calling it a "deliberate falsehood" strikes me as slightly paranoid.

OMG, seriously!? If only I had a dollar for every time a poster in various forums over the years claimed they know what a "true fan" was. Sure, feel free to call someone on it but if we had to kick off every poster who made that claim at one point or another this would be a very empty place.

If I refuse to watch "Old Yeller" based on hearing the dog gets shot then that's my right. If I want to call it a sicko doggie snuff flick that's my business too. If you want to try to convince me to watch it anyway that's your right. If I say I find the idea of watching a dog get shot too upsetting then you should respect that.

This is a discussion board for ALL Trek fans. It's not a tree fort for angry fanboys.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I don't know if it makes a difference, but I don't think they actually show Old Yeller getting shot. I could be wrong though, it's been about over a decade since I saw the movie.

5. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

6. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Well, whether they show it or not being the dog lover that I am I have no interest in seeing it. Perhaps it's really well made and it's all my loss. I can live with that. :)

On the other hand I can be a huge fan of nuBSG where beloved characters drop like flies and it's okay. I went into it with darker expectations though then I do for Trek.

7. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

We're not the angry ones.

8. elaithin

elaithin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not until we get called sexist, at any rate. Or rude and unwelcoming, when we've tried to be anything but. (Well, most of us.)

9. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

10. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Technically Steve Rogers is back but not as Captain America (Bucky's gonna stay there - probably not beyond the movie though?); and last I heard Dick is gonna be Bats for the next few years at least, so I dunno what they're doing with Bruce?

:confused::confused:

And calling "Old Yeller" a "sicko doggy snuff film" is disgusting and shows you have no idea what you're talking about. I suppose you think "Bridge to Terabithia" is a "sicko snuff book" too?

Kinda like certain people about Janeway, actually.

11. elaithin

elaithin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I know - The Death of Captain America was one of the best arcs I've ever read in comics. I'm fine with the new role for Steve, too. I'm not sure I see it working as well with Bruce.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't actually know the comics well, but I have been sort of following the Batman and CA stories through wikipedia, and I haven't seen anything about the new roles the original heroes are taking on. What are they going to do with them?

13. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

That the novels don't follow the guidelines is a trivially obvious observation based on the vast majority of the novels published for at least a decade, including the previous Voyager relaunch. Unless, of course, you didn't read them in the first place, in which case why complain?

So it's ok for your side to be rude but not ours? Because...lots of other unrelated people are also rude? Ooookay...

Yep - if you don't want to watch it, you don't have to. I don't see as how that makes it a productive use of your time to tell fans of it that they're disrespecting you and hate animals, though.

I respect anyone that doesn't want to read these books. I just get annoyed when they tell me that I shouldn't either. Or that I'm not a "real" Star Trek fan because I do. Or that I must hate women because I do. Or that the publishers shouldn't listen to me, because my opinion doesn't matter, and yours does. Etc, etc, etc (and yes, all of these things have been said in this thread; I'm not exaggerating.)

Because, not to go all schoolyard on you or anything, but that disrespects me before I even post a damn thing. I think I'm allowed to be hostile when people assume that anyone that holds my opinion is a chauvinistic, hateful, irrelevant husk polluting the fanbase they hold dear.

14. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

dunno about Bats, but Steve Rogers is getting his own book called 'Steve Rogers: Super-Soldier' and a new costume.

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I think I'm getting angry about a mod calling some of us "fanboys". :confused:

16. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Welcome to the club, Therin. A year ago I received an infraction because kimc was being equally inflammatory and I called her on it.

17. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

FWIW If I've understand past comments by the staff correctly, outside "their" forums mods are just normal members. So since kimc isn't a mod of TrekLit, it's not a mod calling us fanboys, but "just" the fellow board member kimc.

18. AuntKate

AuntKate Commodore Commodore

I thought her comment was not just funny, but apropos. Many of you have stated clearly that not all posters are welcome here (don't dare post if you haven't read the novels). A person can have an opinion about the direction the novels have taken based on what they have read of it online. Granted, their opinion doesn't carry as much weight, but they have a right to post if they want. Telling them to stay away is a bit exclusionary, don't you think? And, anyway, she didn't call any certain poster a fanboy. If you feel that she is talking to you, then you are the one making that connection. :)

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

I don't think anyone's really saying "don't dare post", more just that if you weren't reading BEFORE they killed Janeway, didn't read the book where they killed her, and aren't reading any of the aftermath of the decision, it's pretty absurd to have much of an opinion on the subject, as you don't have any basis to actually react to the decision, as you don't have much of (or any of) the information or context.

Same goes with talking about the sales, how you'll boycott, and how the sales numbers could be improved. You weren't buying before, so a boycott is just continuing current behavior, and the sales are doing quite well, so didn't take the downturn you're claiming, or offering ways out of.

Honestly, not sure how we're even keeping this thread going, when only half the group has done their homework for the discussion. (Almost exactly ) like trying to have a bookclub discussion with someone who has strong opinions on a book they didn't read. Half the group are discussing what happened, reactions, aftermath, etc, the other half just throwing unsupported opinions or 'facts' against the wall and calling the other half sexist for not agreeing...

20. Hamilton

Hamilton Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

This is the TrekLit board. Logically speaking, it helps to actually read the books before posting here. Otherwise, you're forming an opinion on a book based on someone else's opinion or a review.

By the way, I've noticed that people who are new to TrekLit will post a thread asking for recommendations, and the other posters here always come through. How is that unfriendly or unwelcoming?

As far as the whole fanboys comment, not only do I find it offensive, I find it sexist. What about the fanGIRLS who post on this board, like me? If you're going to insult the boys, might as well insult the girls, too.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.