Should Picard be the last major show to take place in that time period?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by SG-17, Mar 27, 2020.

?

Should the next big exploration focused show (TOS/TNG/VOY/ENT) take place a century+ after Picard?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Don't care at all

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lt.Smokey

Lt.Smokey Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Same here. It's the previous century that I'd prefer to move on from, personally.

Orphalesion likes this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they actually move in to the future and tell stories regarding people in that future with new technology, consequences and character changes then I'm all in.

However, I don't think we will ever move past darker storytelling when all the top episode lists are things like "City on the Edge of Forever" "Best of Both Worlds" and "Scorpion." Those are not happy stories.

Grendelsbayne and Turtletrekker like this.
  3. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's amazing how very little I care about anything to do with time periods or timelines.

Give me cool Star Trek stories and characters. Everything else is wanky mineutia.

"I want my time period!" Man, we should listen to ourselves sometimes. :barf:

And frankly, for all the 24th century fans (which I count myself among, as DS9 is my close second favorite) who are so myopic about this topic....I'm sorry, but you got 22 seasons across 4 different series and 4 major motion pictures. When the franchise goes to other centuries or timelines it's a nice change from where the massive bulk of the franchise lived for so long.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

The century matters less than how it's presented. If the 24th Century had always been portrayed as it is in Picard, I never would've been tired of it. Even DS9 is still defined by how it contrasts itself to Textbook TNG. Picard doesn't do that. It's its own thing with the 24th Century looking like a real, living universe. It's closer to a 2399 that I can actually picture, if we accept the conceit of humanoid aliens.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  5. fireproof78

It would be nice to have that moment of self-reflection.

Vger23 likes this.
  6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Bring on the 25th century! Which, could actually happen in the second season of Picard.

DEWLine and ThreeEdgedSword like this.
  7. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I hope they continue into the 25th century, no prequels please

Orphalesion likes this.
  8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

*cough cough Discovery season 3 makes EVERYTHING a prequel cough cough*

Grendelsbayne and arch101 like this.
  9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

We need at least one more.

Something that could pick up the threads from DS9 and Voyager, show where the other characters have gone and the sociopolitical development of the Federation and the Klingon Empire etc.

It would be possible to do something similar in Picard, but it would take it all the way into epic fanservice, where it's a bit more personal than that.

10. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Bless you, I think that you are getting ill.
    I didn't thought about Discovery, maybe because I am not a fan of that show

11. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I put yes but then realized I don't really care. The time period means nothing to me. Yes, I grew up with the 24th century (even if I prefer the 23rd) but just give me entertaining stories. The tech, characters and all of that doesn't really matter to me.

Greg Cox likes this.
  12. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Why? Many of the TNG, DS9 and Voy actors are still alive, might as well use them for cameos and such. Even TOS to TNG was 'only' 75 years.

13. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

I fully expect Pic to be the final series set in the TNG era. I always felt they should jump ahead a thousand years to avoid canon and now they’ve done that. There’s plenty of centuries between for future series.

14. fireproof78

Avoid what canon? 25th century is wide open.

15. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

Yes, I'm not a fan of the crazy advanced tech they had at the beginning of TNG, let alone what they had by the end of Voyager. To be honest I'm for a reboot/alt-universe show, as long as it has decent writers.

16. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Although I consider myself a TOS guy, the stories of the 24th century spanned my childhood.

I watched from the TNG premiere, when I was in the first grade, pretty much all the way through Nemesis, a week before my 21st birthday.

I loved that world. So, yeah, I'd like to see it continue.

17. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

They're not introducing a new storytelling era a thousand years later by sending Discovery's crew to that time - they're quarantining the series there to alleviate all the continuity headaches it caused. :lol:

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm 100% sure Strange New Worlds and Section 31 will continue Discovery's glorious interpretation of Trek continuity in the 23rd century:techman:

19. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Discovery didn't even continue Discovery's interpretation of Trek continuity in the 23rd century.

20. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd really like a show set in the late 25th century that features a collapsed Federation and an attempt to rebuild it.

But I have the feeling the next season of Disc might do something like that? So that might be off the table.

Yet I'd still really like a show set in the mid/late 25th century, just to see how everything has developed. They don't have to go crazy with the technology, but maybe at a point where they'd be able to launch long-term expeditions into one of the Milky Way's satellite galaxies?

ThreeEdgedSword likes this.