Should Picard be the last major show to take place in that time period?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by SG-17, Mar 27, 2020.

?

Should the next big exploration focused show (TOS/TNG/VOY/ENT) take place a century+ after Picard?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Don't care at all

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dinzy

dinzy Captain Captain

Drinking Jippers on a beach somewhere in MD
    Yes. It's 20 years after 90s Trek. We have hundreds of hours of 90s Trek. No more than a possible continuation spinoff should be considered. Disco is centuries into the future and there will be some calamity that happens. Whatever it is there is 700 years of unexplored history between Picard and Disco and then the future beyond that. Move it forward at least a "generation."

Turtletrekker likes this.
  2. dinzy

dinzy Captain Captain

Drinking Jippers on a beach somewhere in MD
    Actually, I take that back. I want Star Trek:Worf where Dorn randomly appears in different Kilingon makeup styles. It would be like Generations with the uniforms only Worf's makeup and the makeup has nothing to do with the plot. To keep with the spirit of Generations, not only will it have inconsistent costumes, but it will also unceremoniously kill off a fan favorite. Sisko said he would return, but this show destroys the wormhole and the prophets because someone fell on the bridge and accidentally shot a volley of photon torpedoes at it. Worf is seen in slow mo screaming in all makeup styles.

Turtletrekker and picardjean-luc like this.
  3. picardjean-luc

picardjean-luc Captain Captain

Who wants to see the space adventures of Captain John Harriman of the Enterprise B (early 2300s) or Captain Rachel Garrett of the Enterprise C (2340s)?

I imagine the latter would've been a miniseries, given the untimely end of the ship and the entire crew...

Ketrick likes this.
  4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Neither of those characters seem endearing to me. But Harriman doesn’t need to be the only captain of the B; he was just the first. Just like Garrett doesn’t need to be the only captain of the C; she was just the last.

DEWLine likes this.
  5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd rather the adventures of a young Picard on the USS Stargazer.

6. amp

amp Commander Red Shirt

If they're going to move ahead that many years, than the future needs to look more advanced than what we see in Picard. Just like TNG looks much more advanced than TOS. (And yes, I know they muddied the waters in later years with the prequel series.) If they just have the same heads-up displays, holograms, artificial life forms, etc as they do in Picard, then it won't feel like the 25th century is any different than the 24th.

I think there are some scifi ideas about the far future that they could pursue, e.g. extreme genetic modification, the technology singularity, etc. But I'm not sure how much they'd want to go down those routes in a weekly tv show.

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

As long as the Stargazer is 25% different.

Not to mention that if they did this, we'll suddenly find that the 'old' Stargazer all of a sudden has the same technology as ships in Star Trek: Picard.

8. F. King Daniel

Well the ships from Discovery, at least (which is pretty much the same with slightly less holograms). And I wouldn't be surprised if they used the Shenzhou/Section 31 ship bridge re-re-redressed instead of remaking the original.

9. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honestly, I care more about the style and the types of stories than what setting the show takes place in. Sure, the time period can influence some of the types of stories but pre-TOS, TNG or post-TNG does not matter if the writing sucks. And vice versa, pre-TOS, TNG or post-TNG can all be great if the writing is great.

And it appears based on ST:Discovery and ST:Picard, that the current show runners will do the same "Discovery" style show regardless of the time period. ST:Picard, even though it was set after Nemesis, had the same Discovery style ships, and similar style.

So I am not sure the time period will make a difference.

10. Mr_Sloan

Mr_Sloan Lieutenant Red Shirt

No the continuing time person from TNG -> DS9 -> Voy -> Nemesis -> Picard should be continued in Picard and/or subsequent episodes.

11. Mr_Sloan

Mr_Sloan Lieutenant Red Shirt

...subsequent series/Moves.

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

This is the time period I've wanted shows to take place in since 2001.

Lt.Smokey and Mr_Sloan like this.
  13. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Don't care much about the temporal setting as long as the props and visuals match fit with what continuity established came before and comes after. I trust the storytelling is okay to great either way.

14. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I'd prefer they stick to the 23rd century.

Norsehound likes this.
  15. Norsehound

Norsehound Captain Captain

I still keep hoping for a action-espionage drama set in the 2280s during the cold war with the klingons. Monster maroons, black-and-silver-sets with no carpet, high tensions with the empire, the crossroads of outgoing TOS and the lost era just over the horizon.

I am so done with berman-era TNG and beyond. The 23rd century has about five seasons of content vs the 24ths what, 21? I don't care if it's a new timeline or whatever- consistency doesn't matter as much to me as long as they tell an interesting story (though the riffs on classic themes is amazing).

16. Eckauskas

Eckauskas Commander Red Shirt

100 years is a bit too far in the future for me.But I echo the sentiments of there being enough prequel stuff kicking about. Since the end of Voyager, we've had ENT, JJ and DISCO. We have a rough idea of what happens between the opening of Generations and the end of Nemesis. I'd love a show that is set around the same time as Picard but focuses on a new ship and a new crew. Let us see how the Federation changes after the Hobus disaster and how the Klingons react to the destruction of the Romulan Star Empire.

A new Enterprise might be quite nice. The F would be cool. Or, if you really wanted to jump 100+ years, let's see the J and how things build up to Procyon V.

17. F. King Daniel

That timeline never happened, since instead of expanding for centuries to fill half the quadrant, the Delphic Expanse was destroyed in 2153.

18. Eckauskas

Eckauskas Commander Red Shirt

Apologies, I never actually watched that season of ENT :D

But I'd still like Star Trek to move forward as opposed to just filling in the blanks of the past. We've done that. It's been done. There's loads to look at going forward.

19. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The most important consideration is that any new Trek production tell good stories. You may use any time period or time line if it helps you tell good stories.

Grendelsbayne and fireproof78 like this.
  20. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

No and no again.

We need morfe and even better shows about the 24th century. Many loose threads to follow up there.

But no "doom-and-gloom", thank you.