Should Kurtzman move on after the Khan series?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Jayson1, Feb 10, 2019.

1. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

It's always possible something may come of those early ideas, but I suspect that those were pitches that were later dropped in favor of the Section 31 series.

2. Rhodan

Rhodan Commander Red Shirt

Becouse who would want to watch young cadets when we have empress Ming the Merciless?

3. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

Sadly that seems to be their logic. Starfleet Academy was never an idea I was excited about, but I will take it any day over Section 31 and Lower Decks.

4. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I expect the Starfleet Academy show to happen. It supposedly has some showrunners already, and will be targeted for younger viewers than Discovery and Picard, and this different demographics probably is attractive for CBS AA.

Khan mini-series was not a great idea to begin with, probably won't happen.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  5. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Commander Red Shirt

I don't see why he would have to leave as long as he's producing good and varied works. The issue with Berman and Braga is that they found a formula that largely work and stuck to it. Sure there were network directions that held them back at times but largely it was the formula and having to produce 20+ episode seasons. If Kurtzman doesn't fall into that trap, and he seems to be mindful of that and wants each production to be it's own thing, as long as the shows are successful he should be allowed to stay.

That said I think the Khan series likely doesn't even exist or is even a thought anymore.

Kzinti, Lord Garth and rahullak like this.
  6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did notice new Starfleet Academy cadet jumpsuit uniforms and a black instructor uniform in the latest episode of Disco (both heavily based on the ST'09 versions of the costumes)

Now I want the academy series to

A. Happen more than ever, and

B. Have Pike in it.

7. YouMayImpressMe

YouMayImpressMe Ensign Newbie

Horrible horrible writer. Please go away.

8. starbuck

starbuck Captain Captain

if he fails yes

9. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. He should go and ruin something else.

10. The Librarian

The Librarian Commodore Commodore

Did Kevin Feige move on after the first couple Marvel movies? No, of course not, and we're not going to see Kurtzman move on when CBS is just getting their planned Trek franchise off the ground. We haven't even seen the second series come out yet.

11. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I never said he should move on right this instant. I am talking about after getting the current batch going. By the time Khan happens,if it happens I think we might be looking at at least 5 years down the line. At which point I think it's safe to say that after helping create or run 5 to 6 shows while also helping write some of the movies then the chances of him having something new to add to Trek might be at the end. Also movies are different from tv,Feige wsn't running the MCU until after at least Avengers 2.

Jason

12. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Well he signed a 5 year contract in 2018, so he's around until at least 2023 and if his other shows are as successful as Discovery, they will throw more money at him to stay.

donners22 and Therin of Andor like this.
  13. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

No.

Seems to be a pattern here to disparage Roddenberry, Berman, and now Kurtzman, instead of thanking them.

Thanks people for keeping the dream alive. I don't always like it, mind you, but I appreciate having the opportunity to see what you've contributed.

Andru and The Butter Phantom like this.
  14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Huh?

I can hear it now: "the revolving door of Star Trek producers..."

15. The Butter Phantom

The Butter Phantom Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

He might step down from day-to-day activities, but I think Secret Hideout is going to be involved with the franchise for the rest of its current incarnation (as well as other CBS Studios productions), maybe even expanding into the successor for Bad Robot on the movie side.

16. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that won’t be happening any time soon.

17. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Because a vocal minority of the fans are blaming him for things they don't like? Nope.

Kzinti likes this.