Ships of the Line 2019

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by The Wormhole, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is that known 100% for sure, though?

2. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

The Franklin dates to before Enterprise. It may not have been mentioned, but it was clearly before Nero’s intervention.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Vice Admiral Admiral

Then your argument is invalid.

JoeP likes this.
  4. thribs

thribs Commodore Fleet Captain

I think it’s safe to assume that the JJVerse is not a altered timeline but a different universe. One where they use water for their warp engines and all ships have breweries in them.
    The Franklin simply doesn’t work in the Prime as they went from the warp 2 testbed to Henry Archer’s warp 5 engine. If you include the novels there were in fact 2 different warp 5 engines being designed with the other being added to a Daedalus ship, correcting the continuity errors with that one.

ryan123450 likes this.
  5. Tuskin38

Except it isn’t.

JoeP likes this.
  6. thribs

Isn’t what?
    I don’t know why people are so against the idea of it being a separate universe. It means they could do things without worrying about continuity.

ryan123450 and lawman like this.
  7. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Admiral Admiral

Not that it matters whether Franklin is Prime or not, but...
    Coolant. In "Yesterday's Enterprise" and Generations, the Enterprise-D is ultimately destroyed by a coolent leak in the warp core, which manifests by the pipe behind the core itself angrily belching steam which fills engineering.
    Is that the same novels which pretend the Romulan ships exploded off-screen immediately after "Minefield" in order to fix continuity regarding cloaking devices and switched to low-tech TOS interfaces and technology to prevent Romulan tampering?:ack:

8. thribs

There was only one shipwith the cloaking device but I thought because of power issues that using it long term wasn’t feasible.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's weird to hear people arguing that the Franklin couldn't have existed because it wasn't mentioned in Star Trek: Enterprise, when people used to argue that Star Trek: Enterprise couldn't have existed because it wasn't mentioned in the previous shows and movies. If one can accept the retcon of ENT as a whole, one should also be able to accept the retcon of the Franklin.

Markonian, Mage, David cgc and 4 others like this.
  10. Tuskin38

They were doing that fine already without it being a separate universe.

The timeline was altered 30 years before TOS starts.

11. ProwlAlpha

ProwlAlpha Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like how they switched up the TOS Enterprise being on Earth, now its Assignment:Earth scene not the usual Tomorrow is Yesterday. I was wondering how many more interpretations of that scene we will get. Perhaps a whole calendar's worth, maybe the 2020 calendar will be just the Enterprise and the F-104.

12. CT0760

CT0760 Ensign Red Shirt

Aaanywho, back to the original topic, no matter how canon discovery is, I sort of laugh to myself when they make the enterprise look...well, honestly, more awesome and in 10 years its going to look like it did in the 60's; what, did starfleet have budget problems and they had to downgrade some ships?

13. Christopher

The people making Star Trek in the '60s never intended us to believe that a 23rd-century starship would actually look like it was made in the '60s. They were just making the closest approximation they could manage with their limited resources, and they trusted their audience to use their imaginations to take it the rest of the way. That's the whole reason Roddenberry had everything redesigned in ST:TMP -- it was meant to be a closer approximation, made possible by having better resources to fake it with. He literally asked fans to pretend the Klingons had always had ridges but TOS just hadn't shown them correctly.

The differences between '60s Trek technology and 2010s Trek technology are differences in the ability of the filmmakers to depict it, not actual in-universe differences. In the same way that the recasting of a role like Saavik or Cochrane or Ziyal is not meant to be an in-universe change. There's a difference between the literal surface we see onscreen and the underlying idea it's meant to represent.

14. Tuskin38

I doubt it.

15. Tallguy

Tallguy Commodore Commodore

It has cracked me up for a while now that the 1960's design is entirely TOO DATED. But so much of the design language of even the JJ-prise is rooted in TMP from the advanced age of 1979.

To be fair, Disco is actually moving farther away from that.

16. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When the timeline is altered it also changed the time travel incidents yet to happen in the future. That changes the past, which changes the future more and this cycle continues until the new timeline stabilizes. Thus Nero changes the past, and the past timeline adjusting happens instantaneously from his and our perspective.

lawman and JoeP like this.
  17. Tuskin38

The refit isn't as simple as the original. It is detailed.

18. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't understand what the issue is with the Franklin. We see all sorts of Earth Starfleet ship classes in Enterprise besides the NX, and it makes sense that the Franklin could be one of them (unseen, of course), that later made its way into Federation service.

19. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

It's been a while since I watched Beyond,, but I think it was mentioned that the Franklin was the only Warp 4 ship that Starfleet ever made, and it was a prototype ship, just meant to test the Warp 4 engine, and then Starfleet went right into the Warp 5 engine.

20. Christopher

No, they just said it was "the first Earth ship capable of warp 4."