Shazam!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Jul 21, 2018.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to confess, I've never had a smart phone. I probably could afford one if I really wanted, but when I got my last phone I just chose to just stick with a dumb phone for now. My next phone will be smart though, and I have had tablets for ages, going all the way to when the Nook went from just an e-reader to fully functional tablet.
    But if I was a "shit-head teenager", I can almost guarantee you I'd have one.

2. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Pretty much. But then there are fanboys who think that anything that isn't a borderline comedy is "grim and gritty" instead of just regular old "serious, with appropriate moments of comedic relief". In both cases it's fucking annoying.

As for Billy Batson....times change and characters who can't change with them go into the dustbin of history. Some fanboys don't get that their time as the target audience has an end to it, as it should. Changing characters to fit the times doesn't mean those writers don't love or "get" that character. It means that they need to keep the essential elements and make that character or property relevant to the people in the present. And if you're not onboard with that version, then it's time to walk the fuck away instead of wasting time you can't ever get back pissing and moaning about it on the internet.

Cap as "sorta Doctor Fate / Lightning Lad / Superman" or whatever role they've given him to make him less Superman-esque isn't something I care for. But maybe the new movie can change my mind. If it doesn't, no biggie, because it's not really meant for me. Captain Marvel is for kids who wish they could be a superhero with a single magic word, not pissy grown ups who obsess over funny books.

Ovation, Professor Zoom and Greg Cox like this.
  3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

You know that isn't true, but pretending that's the case certainly helps your argument, so ignoring literally every time I've disputed that makes sense.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even if it's not your intent, that is what it sounds like every time you go on one of your rants.

5. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Want to give you all the likes for this statement.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  6. leooooooo

leooooooo Ensign Red Shirt

I have prepare the shazam cosplay costumes from cosmanles! Actually,I like it.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Its an almost certainty that Mr. Mind will be mistaken for a penis at some point in this movie.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

You must know some interesting penises.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  9. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hesitate to wonder how they explain his being green, which he really needs to be. It's a big part of the character, historically.

10. Guy Gardener

Under a sheet, or under trousers, the size of a breakfast sausage, crawling around talking.

Very weak potty humour.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  11. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    You could always watch Darna, instead.

12. Guy Gardener

Are they going to make Marvel Man into a movie? It'd be nice to see Bates and Marvel Man trying to decapitate each other with the London Eye.

13. DrCorby

DrCorby Captain Captain

I really enjoyed that series, and was hopeful about Gaiman finally finishing his planned story after getting the rights untangled. But it's been, what? 2 years? 3? since the last book came out. I think Marvelman's time has passed. Seems there's little interest even in Alan Moore's original story any more; almost certainly not enough to bring such a violent deconstruction of superheroes (that's also still very reliant on years of a 50s-era Captain Marvel rip-off backstory) to the big screen.

A lot of adaptations of Moore's work haven't worked well on the big screen, for a variety of reasons. In general, Hollywood has done much better with more straight-ahead adaptations of mainstream comics works.

14. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's because too much of the source material is by writers, Moore included, that take apart their subjects, and forget to put them back together again. Adapting such stories almost always ends on an unintended cliffhanger, to wit; Where do we go from here? And the Hollywood writers don't have any idea what the original writers' intentions were, so the ending is unsatisfying to the viewers.

15. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Fahrvergnügen.

16. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like Aquaman is so popular even Captain Marvel is trying to talk to fish. ;)

[​IMG]

17. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This really does look like it will be a lot of fun.

19. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. :techman:

If this is a hit too, following just months after Aquaman's success, Warner is going to get cocky.

20. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They'll come to the wrong conclusion and only make ridiculous movies from here on in.