Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings Spoiler/Rating Thread!!!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by LaxScrutiny, Aug 24, 2021.

?

Chi Strength Rating:

1. A+ Grandmaster

8 vote(s)
    14.5%
  2. A

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  3. A-

12 vote(s)
    21.8%
  4. B+ Master

14 vote(s)
    25.5%
  5. B

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  7. C+ Disciple

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+ Apprentice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F Kid everyone beats up

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

2. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Finally got around to watching this last night on Disney+. Was better than I expected. Fight sequences were AMAZING. Was really enjoying it up to the point it turning into a Godzilla movie. But that being said, totally fun popcorn romp and good MCU installment. Will watch the sequel... 7.5/10

Q2

Commander Troi and Saul like this.
  3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Caught it last week on Disney+. I was a little wary as I didn't really know anything about shang-Chi from the comics but that was hugely enjoyable. Yes it turned into the typical bangy crashy Marvel finale but up till that part it was great (and to be honest the final battle wasn't unenjoyable).

Simu Liu made for a likable hero and I liked Meng'er Zhang as his sister. Tony Leung imbued his character with enough heart that he wasn't just a stock villain, and of course Michelle Yeoh is awesome in everything she does. My favourite character hands down though was Katy. I loved Awkwafina, she was very funny. I think this is the third film I've seen her in and I've enjoyed her performance in all three.

Of course the film was almost stolen by you know who :lol:

Exciting, funny, heartfelt, well paced. Really good and I hope we get a sequel.

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

The sequel has already been announced with Destin Daniel Cretton returning to direct.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Excellent!

Commander Troi likes this.
  6. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a lot of ways this film bore similarities to Black Panther structurally. Both movies had a likeable but somewhat bland lead that was outshone by far by the villain of the movie, who was unusually complex and sympathetic for a Marvel antagonist. They also both had a female supporting character who outshone the male lead. And both of them were great right up until the video-game ending.

Starkers likes this.
  7. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I recently started binging Kim's Convenience on Netflix. It's a tad surreal.

8. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Why would it be surreal? It is a little saccharin but it is a pretty realistic depiction of how multicultural cities like Toronto are.

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did the same watching an episode of Kim's after the movie and it was indeed kind of surreal seeing "Shang Chi" in this cute little sitcom.

Commander Troi and dupersuper like this.
  10. theenglish

I get what you mean, now. For me, and many of us who watched the show, it was the reverse seeing him in Shang-Chi. It is so cool seeing the start rise on this really nice guy--and watching him transform into this action star.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    John Clark likes this.
  11. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This.

theenglish likes this.
  12. Vasquez Rocks

Vasquez Rocks Commodore Commodore

The humor was almost too much for me. Awkwafina was the Jar Jar Binks of this picture. I cringed at most of her jokes. She got better towards the end when she was more serious. All the other stuff was great. It could have been one of Marvel's best.

13. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was unfamiliar with the actor until this film but he was great. I really liked the whole cast, save for a couple. Xialing's right hand man annoyed, as did the lead Ten Rings heavy.

14. Truffula

Truffula Ensign Red Shirt

The movie was fun! I enjoyed it very much. The visuals of the forest opening up to let people in / closing behind them was my favorite piece of special effects.

15. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I also enjoyed it a lot. I'm frankly a bit Marveled out by this point, but I really enjoyed this movie. Very entertaining, and it helps that there were so many new to me actors playing the main roles. I only recognized Michelle Yeoh (awesome as always) and Ben Kingsley.

16. The Nth Doctor

Since you're not familiar with Awkwafina (Katy) until now, allow me to highly recommend The Farewell. She also has great supporting roles in Ocean's 8, Crazy Rich Asians (also with Michelle Yeoh!), and Jumanji: The Next Level.

Commander Troi and maneth like this.
  17. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I'm Marveled out too. There's got to be a breaking point sometime, right? Eternals was a flop but No Way Home is breaking all kinds of records.

18. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With No Way Home and Disney Plus...definitely a lot of strong stories to be told...and going back to the subject of the thread...i think there is a whole ot mor ethat can be done with Shang Chi. And my youngets and i have been watching some interviews...and Simu, Awkwafina, and others seem to be having a whole lot of fun while also knowing how they are helping representation.... so i think lots more to be done

19. The Nth Doctor

Eternals wasn't a flop. :rolleyes:

But this isn't the thread to argue about that.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  20. theenglish

I have really enjoyed the interviews I've heard. I've learned a lot of things about the different experience first and second generation immigrants have and how that was incorporated into the script. The different experiences that Shang-Chi and Katy have in both the U.S. and China was done really well.