Sex 'n' violence in Discovery

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by F. King Daniel, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

While not showing any actual nudity, ENT's decon scenes were unnecessarily gratuitous to the point of laughability. But that was because ENT's producers had the mentality of a bunch of drunk horny frat boys who thought that pandering to the lowest common denominator would get them lots of ratings.

I don't see Fuller or CBS in general feeling the need for such things.

Anna Yolei likes this.
  2. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

ENT's decon scenes actually weren't even realistic.

For a gel like that to be truly effective and fully decontaminate every inch of a person's skin, the individual obviously shouldn't be wearing anything AT ALL.

Kor

Kemaiku likes this.
  3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It was never that. Unless you count multiple attempted rapes and numerous disintegrations as family fare?

Kor and Kemaiku like this.
  4. JeffinOakland

JeffinOakland Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, I think the "Vulcan Beach Party" scenes in the decon room were a last ditch attention getting device on the part of the PTB of a dying show. Sort of like VOY's 7ofT&A.

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I personally hope for a ship crewed by nothing but genetically superior naturists to appear.

Zonker likes this.
  6. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

Costumes don't bother me one way or another as long as the women aren't subjected to harassment, unwanted attention and are treated with respect. Seven of Nine walked around in her catsuit on Voyager but no one publically leered at her nor was she subjected to unwanted attention. (Unless you count Harry bumbling around or that drunk ambassador in Someone To Watch Over Me). Dress them however, just show them to be capable human beings. That goes for the men as well.

7. JeffinOakland

I think I can rest assure you plenty of folks at home leered at 7of9 and subjected Jeri Ryan to "unwanted attention". Her being dressed in a catsuit wasn't for Harry's benefit. The same goes for Marina Sirtis, Nichelle Nichols, Chase Masterson, Alice Eve, the actresses who played the Orion slave girls, Mudd's android babes and a lot of others.

Cake, cultcross and BillJ like this.
  8. BillJ

You beat me to it. It gives men in the audience the impression that women are eye candy.

9. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I want to watch it my nine year old daughter. I'll be disappointed if I can't.

But I doubt it'll be a problem. The girlie and I watched Stranger Things together and that was fine. I had to say "close your eyes" and "don't repeat that word" a few times... but neither of were traumatized by the experience. In fact, we had a delightful time.

I somehow doubt that Bryan Fuller is going to turn Trek into Game of Thrones.

10. BillJ

From one parent (I have a nine year old son) to another, I have a question: do you have an issue with her watching when Kelso gets strangled by Gary Mitchell?

11. T'Arwen

T'Arwen Commander Red Shirt

On one hand, it is tradition to have miniskirts, catsuits and other male gaze attire on Trek. But the actresses aren't just leered at. They also don't get taken as seriously, especially if they're in catsuits. At least in TOS, the eye candy factor was spread out among every woman.

I guarantee if Seven and T'Pol got to wear normal uniforms for the whole run, Jolene and Jeri would not have had nearly as many people criticizing them as bad actresses. In Star Trek magazine, Marina Sirtis talked about how worried she was that they would write Troi out. Why? Because Troi was only window dressing in the beginning.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  12. BillJ

Didn't it also have something to do with her weight, as well?

13. JeffinOakland

The PTB at VOY were flabbergasted to discover, AFTER casting her, that Jeri Ryan could act.

14. T'Arwen

T'Arwen Commander Red Shirt

I don't have the article in front of me but Marina didn't address weight at all. It was more that she felt like the character was useless and was only there to be eye candy.

In the ENT Blu Rays, Braga at the cast reunion describes (very awkwardly) how he was looking to cast a woman who was gorgeous AND could act. Everyone was cringing until Scott Bakula told him to drop the subject.

Anna Yolei likes this.
  15. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

Oh I know all that. I don't live in a bubble. What I am talking about is on the show the men didn't behave that way toward them.

16. Duck Rogers

Duck Rogers Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

There was that hilarious exploding Remmick head in Conspiracy and that was back in 1988!! So i'm pretty sure that people are ready for some more of that stuff :lol: So let those heads explode etc..

17. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

IMHO both Jeri Ryan and Jolene Blalock surprised a lot of people (in and out of the set) with their acting performances (when they were given a decent script).

18. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Nah. Fantasy violence doesn't bother me too much. But the more realistic or graphic it becomes, the more uncomfortable I get.

19. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There was a decontamination chamber scene in the first episode.
    With respect to the actress, more than a few fans felt the same way. In terms of being a officer on the bridge, the character of Troi early on didn't always make sense. Having a psychic to advice the captain on things a Human can't experience makes sense, but why would the captain need a psychologist/psychiatrist (never been clear on what she was) at his side?

Anna Yolei likes this.
  20. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

Gratuitous violence works quite well, depending on the show. On Z Nation gratuitous violence IS the show. I mean, if you don't know how to kill zombies with a giant cheese roll, you're just not ready for the apocalypse.