Season one vibes

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by F. King Daniel, Apr 1, 2022.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think that's ok...for a season.

2. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

DSC was far from "perfect" in the early goings...but it at least felt fresh and exciting, and it was a ton of fun to debate and squabble over because it was such a departure. It many ways, it was much like DS9 when that first arrived on the scene in that it was polarizing (which, in my mind, means they were doing something right).

Now, even though I still love DSC, it feels far more like a show that is written and produced entirely off of the "focus group method..." checking boxes and making sure every fan gets their little wink, and their little nod as they try to keep everyone happy. As a result, S3 and S4 have felt a bit more cohesive and yet far less interesting than the first two. The first two seasons felt like they had creative energy behind them. The last two have felt stifled and it's almost like you can sense the writing staff's resignation to the fact that any real creative risks simply aren't going to be green-lit to go forward. The trip ahead 900 years didn't help, either, as I loved the 23rd century setting. I'm hoping SNW gives me that connection to TOS back that I've been missing on DSC.

The quest to keep all the fans happy, write by checklist, etc. has NEVER served this franchise well in the long run.

Oh well......I'll keep watching, though! I still enjoy it every week!

3. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

Greener pastures, working on something great.
    Its actually an opportunity to explore Stamets as a supergenius, and how his grumpiness and snarkiness is actually a quirk related to it.

But it sounds like you would rather within a season have,

- 1 episode grumpy at Dr. Pollard over a diagnosis of some sort
    - 1 episode were he’s grumpy at the rest of the middle decks crew, probably when he had the conn while Burnham’s on an away mission
    - 1 episode grumpy at Culber and Adira
    - 1 episode were he’s grumpy at Burnham and they go over their history together all the way back to when they first met before Burnham puts her foot down over said grumpiness
    - 1 episode where Stamets apologizes to everyone followed by another episode where he gets counseling by Culber. And then afterwards, he never grumpy and snarky again.

4. fireproof78

Well, since you have my opinion all figured out I shall defer to your judgment.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  5. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To me, the vibes of DISC season 1 (and 2) were all about sending the message: TOS is not being ignored or neglected anymore. Now SNW is breaking down the door, saying we're back and we're kicking ass so buckle up!

TedShatner10 and Vger23 like this.
  6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe it's something in the 32nd century water, since that jump is when the characters started changing:lol:

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eh, I started noticing it towards the end of season 2. Such Sweet Sorrow especially is basically everything everyone complains about seasons 3 and 4. The long drawn out emotional good-byes and talking about feelings and stuff when there's a ticking clock of when shit has to get done Or Else.

I remember at the time it first aired, I compared it to Steven Moffat's Doctor Who, which had an unfortunate tendency to have a decent portion of the episodes devoted to monologues talking about what has to happen rather than doing that. Now it's basically just typical Disco.

Richard S. Ta and David cgc like this.
  8. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Lorca was the most interesting and refreshing character on the show until he went all Mirror-Universe.

I don't care whether that "was always the plan" or not. Execution is everything. From what's been reported about Fuller's original plans, his version of the MU/alternate universe premise might have actually been interesting and somewhat complex.

Richard S. Ta, saddestmoon and Jadeb like this.
  9. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

He was almost too interesting for the show’s own good, at least if they were going to insist that Burnham be the star. Shame they overcomplicated her back story instead of just making her his first officer — that could have been a really interesting dynamic they could have explored over multiple seasons.

(And having her eventually mutiny against Lorca, a divisive character, might have made for a cleaner narrative and more likable Burnham portrayal than what they went with.)

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  10. Char Kais

Char Kais Commander Red Shirt

11. Char Kais

And how did that turn out?

How it started (S01E01 / S01E02):

[​IMG]

How it's going (S04E01):

[​IMG]

The lowest confirmed viewership was for episode S04E07. Less than 533k viewers.

12. Serveaux

Renewed for season five.

The beauty of it is that you have no idea what any of those numbers mean. :guffaw:

I hate the show, BTW, and don't watch it.

fireproof78 likes this.
  13. Char Kais

Renewal wasn't the point.
    The point was if more people watch S2/S3/S4 than S1.
    Do you have any data that shows that?

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably not since you're the only one who obsesses over data and graphs and charts.

15. Serveaux

Yes, it is. It always is.

These people know their business, you don't.

Go on, Google some more "data."

saddestmoon and fireproof78 like this.
  16. gvn2fly

gvn2fly Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

look at how the ratings for DS9 turned out from the premiere to its last season. Or voyager or enterprise. They all had worse drops.
    I still maintain it’s weird to obsess over ratings numbers for a show you don’t even like. Are you ok?

17. gvn2fly

Without even knowing what they mean. He posted Canadian over the air ratings and is trying to pass them off as the show’s total viewers. The show also streams in Canada so we have no idea how many people stream it in that country. Also, shows losing viewers as they go on isn’t uncommon anyway . DS9 started with 18 million USA viewers and ended up with 3 million. I guess if that poster was on the internet at that time he he’d be posting about how DS9 was a horrible show because of its drop in viewership?

Can you please explain to me why you constantly post about and conduct research on shows you’ve hated for years? Or why you call them failures when they keep getting renewed? Or why you care how many YouTube views channels discussing the show get?

dupersuper likes this.
  18. Ray Hardgrit

Ray Hardgrit Commodore Commodore

There's a thread here called 'I don't understand the hate Disco gets / still gets' and he could be the exact right person to go there and finally explain it.

19. fireproof78

I mean, the continuation speaks for itself. The numbers clearly don't mean what fans interpret them to be.

It's just an anxiety over a show we cannot control.

20. gvn2fly

why is that the point? Why? You don’t have any data that shows more people aren’t watching in season 2, 3, and 4 either. Do you have the crave streaming numbers for Canada? Do you have the worldwide viewing numbers? You have over the air broadcast numbers from one country when the show is also streamed in that same country. The numbers you posted are literally meaningless.