News Season One hitting DVD/Blu-Ray in November

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Tuskin38, Aug 5, 2018.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You mean it sold out?

2. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, I mean liquidated. There was no evidence either the DVDs or Blu-rays were selling that well at Amazon during the last week. It's possible that CBS told Amazon it had to buy massively in bulk while peddling the lie the sets would be big sellers, but they haven't sold, and the retailers have been banned from discounting it. Pure conjecture of course, although the DVDs are available for $9.99 on eBay.

Further info. The Blu-ray doesn't seem to be available online from any major US retailers I've looked at. Amazon, Walmart, Deepdiscount.com.

3. BillJ

Jesus, is there a conspiracy theory that you don't buy completely into? :guffaw:

I'm not a Discovery fan, but have no issue believing the Blu-ray sold out. Quite a few people in the US were waiting on the physical release due to not wanting to get All-Access.

And it is available on Walmart.com, with one copy left...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Trek-Discovery-Season-One-Blu-ray/858730379

And the one's that are cheap on Ebay, are bootlegs from China. It says it right in the listing.

Pindar, Amaris and ozzfloyd like this.
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do you also believe the moon landing was faked?

Because that is what you sound like right now.

Vger23, JoeP and ozzfloyd like this.
  5. WebLurker

WebLurker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Crap with a capital "S."

6. Admiral Bear

DVD no longer available from Amazon.com. Allegedly sold out. Date for stock is 7th December. The discs were only released 15 days ago in the US. STD didn't get near Amazon's top 20 DVD sales, but they've already sold out in the lead up to the busiest shopping period of the year. This is pretty much unheard of. As I said, either the smallest print run in history, or Amazon bought little stock in the expectation it wouldn't sell, or it erroneously bought a shit load and has offloaded all of them on the cheap because it wasn't selling.

Something is wrong here. If people can't buy STD on disc, CBS can't make money from the show. If the print run was so low that Amazon, the world's biggest online retailer, sold out in 2 weeks, why did CBS even bother?

7. BillJ

If Amazon is continuing to sell them that means they know more is on the way from the distributor.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Di...8-1&keywords=star+trek+discovery+dvd+season+1

As much as you don't like it, it simply sold out. It may have had a small run, it may be selling like hotcakes.

8. Admiral Bear

They haven't sold like hotcakes. As I said, the DVD sales on Amazon where never better than mid 20s on the top seller list.

The Chinese have also got hold of a load of DVD copies for a pittance, which they're now selling on eBay for $9.99. Assuming these copies are genuine, and if they're not, CBS should be worried, you have to wonder where these Chinese sellers have got them from, and why they've got them.

9. BillJ

Taken you've never heard of piracy and bootlegs before? No big mystery here.

10. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

First party (as in sold directly from Amazon by Amazon) copies are still being sold on Amazon canada.

Both Blu-Ray and DVD.

From the internet. It isn't that hard to get copies of shows and movies these days.

11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

So let me get this straight.

Nobody wanted Short Treks because no one bought them even though they probably were never for sale given the obvious intent of them being exclusive content?

The whole Blu-ray release was an elaborate false flag operation to make Disco appear more popular than it really is?

Got it. Thanks.

Vger23, Ovation and BillJ like this.
  12. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Admiral Bear is always good for a laugh.

BillJ likes this.
  13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So wait a few lousy days and buy them then. You telling me you can't wait that short a time? :lol:

Or you can get DSC from the iTunes Store right now.

14. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I haven't bought the Blu-Ray Set yet. It sucks to be a Contractor. I'm still waiting around for a really huge paycheck. And two smaller ones. Because I need the huge paycheck so badly, it'll probably take that much longer to arrive because that's how things seem to work. It's like it's on purpose. Sometimes I have to wait upwards of two months to get paid for certain things. But anyway.

There are probably others like me who haven't bought the set yet because of they feel guilty buying anything they don't absolutely need. I'm holding out for whatever gift cards I'll probably get for presents.

15. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

And people wonder who would actually watch Midnights Edge stuff...now you know.

But as always, the most complicated and inane possibilities are so often the truth.

BillJ likes this.
  16. Mr. Laser Beam

Ordinarily I'd buy DSC from iTunes in a cold minute, but I'm wondering why I should do so - given that I still have my CBS-AA subscription and plan on keeping it for the foreseeable future.

17. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I've wondered about this too. I figured there might be a scenario where I want to watch the show without sitting behind a desktop. Or, if I'm on the go, I can pop it on in a hotel room since I don't have a laptop. Or I can use the DVD to show a Trekkie friend...

... the big draw would've been Audio Commentaries. Without them, ehhhhhh.... The Deleted Scenes are nice. But that's why I'll buy it with a gift card.

18. WebLurker

WebLurker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Found a copy @ B&N and with a coupon, managed to get it nearly half off ($30 something vs. $60 something). Won't have a chance to see it anytime soon, so I really hope it's not a bad copy. Think it was the last BluRay in the store (although there was one DVD set, too). Wonder if there was just high demand or if they didn't make many copies in the first place?

19. Mr. Laser Beam

I usually watch DSC via an app on my AppleTV, hooked up to my actual TV. No desktop necessary.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    BillJ and Lord Garth like this.
  20. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's actually not too hard to believe that the first Trek series to not be broadcast openly on commercial television might sell really well in BR and DVD format. I've read tons of comments across the interwebs of people saying "I'll wait for the home video release". Could just be that simple. For many, this is their opportunity to watch for the first time.

BillJ likes this.