Season 7 too Fluffy?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Nakita Akita, Dec 23, 2018.

1. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The baseball thing...yeesh!
    There does seem to be an inconsistent tone in the final season episodes.Nobody is looking for a totally grim dark war-centric season but some of the episodes are bizarrely off tone.

And for a trill,shouldn’t it be “I’ve got you under my skin”?

Nakita Akita likes this.
  2. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

"Fluff" not in the sense of soft and cuddly.
    "Fluff" in the sense of extemporaneous, junk that doesn't add anything but minutes that the writers don't have to come up with relevant, interesting dialogue.
    My pet peeve, fluff, is obviously Vic singing 4 minute ballads of songs that aren't even good.
    Or silly tripe of and entire show about two of the officers on some planet investigating the death of some person that was never on the show that neither of them ever met.(almost as bad as Vic singing)

3. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Too fluffy? :eek:

I have to disagree here.

OK, we had some "lighter" episodes like those with Vic Fontaine and Zek. But we had such episodes in the other seasons as well.

I found those episodes a sort of relief right up in the middle of the difficult war situation. There would have been too much doom-and-gloom otherwise and those episode didn't ruin a season which was very exciting and entertaining.

DS9forever, Armus and MakeshiftPython like this.
  4. Nakita Akita

Read the above.
    I'm seeing fluff as too much time without dialogue, or meaningful dialogue.

5. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Ever see a silent movie? Some are excellent.

6. Nakita Akita

Don't confuse the word dialogue with the spoken word.
    There can be meaningful dialogue between characters which are of verbal.
    Listening to a pseudo lounge singer from Las Vegas 1960's sing on and on can only offer so much contribution to the meaningful dialogue of the series.
    Keiko giving Miles a certain look speaks volumes over listening to a bad song from a Mediocre singer.

7. Lynx

I'm not sure that I can agree here either. OK, Vic got some screentime singing but I don't think that it ruined the episodes he was in.

8. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

MY GOODNESS PEOPLE!!!

The Oceans 11 episode is a lot of fun, and the whole point of that episode was to give the characters a lighthearted story and have some fun right before we got to The Final Chapter arc. I'll never understand those who don't enjoy Vic Fontaine, who I don't even think was overused much anyway (he's only in five episodes). I object to the idea that all of the seventh season should have been only focused on war. No. If you do that it just becomes very one note and unenjoyable. The point of episodes like "Take Me Out to the Holosuite" is to give audiences a breather between all the heavy dramatic episodes. With 26 episodes a season, you need some kind of a relief.

DS9forever, Armus and Tosk like this.
  9. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The baseball episode IMO was one of the 10 best episodes they ever did. Top 20 even in all of Trek. It's kind of ironic that even though "DS9" has the rep of being the dark and edgy trek it also produced maybe the two most pure fun episodes of all of Trek in "Take Me out to the Holosuite" and "Trials and Tribbulations." I mean other than the TOS tribble episode what other episode is so much pure fun?

Jason

FanST, kkt, DS9forever and 3 others like this.
  10. Lynx

I totally agree wiith what you have written here.

What I like with DS9 is that even if it had a reputation of being dark and edgy, it also had a lot of lighter episodes in between which eased up what could have been very dark and gloomy with the wrong writers. It could be dark sometimes but it never became as dark as all those doom-and-gloom series which they are torturing us with. There was always hope at the horizon.

In other words: Great Star Trek entertainment! :techman:

FanST, kkt, MakeshiftPython and 2 others like this.
  11. MakeshiftPython

Rom alone should clue anyone in that DS9 is not exactly the grim and gritty show some make it out to be. I don't just mean how his character is written but the actor's performance is like something out of a children's program. Not that there's anything wrong with it, he's part of what makes episodes like "The Magnificent Ferengi" utterly enjoyable. DS9 probably has some of the best comedy episodes of ANY Trek show.

Lynx likes this.
  12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Baseball during the Dominion War isn’t a problem.

Vulcans treating baseball as a measure of racia superiority is a major problem. Uhh, logic?

Nakita Akita likes this.
  13. MakeshiftPython

It's almost as if not every Vulcan happens to be serene and logically infallible robots... almost as if they're behaving like... flesh and blood people???

kkt and Jayson1 like this.
  14. Nakita Akita

But if they had it 5 episodes, like Vic, maybe it would have gotten old.
    It must have been on my disc that didn't play at all.
    I don't like spectator sports so I completly forgot about the episode.

15. Kate Nichols

Kate Nichols Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love Vic. He’s the warmest man on DS9. Yet, there’s just a touch of “distant” that makes so much sense considering who, or what he is. . . They do him so well! As for the singing, it’s perfect. He’s not Sinatra, but just a good lounge singer with a warm sense of humor.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Lynx likes this.
  16. Jayson1

What makes Vic work IMO is you can tell the writers enjoy the chance of getting away from the "Star Trek" universe a little but also they are smart to let us know he knows the difference between the real world and his. So the characters don't half to pretend to be 60's people to interact with him. They still get to be themselves around Vic. It's not like that Janeway holodeck adventure they were setting up in season 1 where she was pretending to be governess or something to some Victorian England kids. Janeway wasn't herself and the holo-characters had no idea about the 24th universe.

Jason

Lynx likes this.
  17. Ensign Seven

Ensign Seven Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I am quite new to DS9. Back in 1993 I have only watched the first few episodes and then quit because I found it to boring. The whole religion stuff, meh...
    A few years ago I tried again since I wanted something new to watch after a complete rewatch of VOY and TNG. While the first few seasons were really boring (from the 1st season I seriously only remembered the pilot and the episode in which Opaka was left on the planet), I really liked the whole Dominion-arc.
    I dislike both the Klingon and the Ferengi stories, therefore there is not much to watch for me. But the Dominion war is extremely exciting.

FanST likes this.
  18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

If you take away all the Klingon and Ferengi-themed stories, it's still well over 100 episodes for you to enjoy. :)

19. Ensign Seven

Ensign Seven Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Sure, I certainly enjoyed DS9, but I had to skip lots of episodes. Seasons 4-7 were more enjoyable than the first 3, All the Dominion stuff was very exciting.
    DS9 had lots of yawners, boring episodes.
    Especially at the beginning, that Bajoran stuff, or my, it was so boring.

I find Jeffrey Combs, I mean Weyoun, incredibly sexy... Do it with me... :adore:
    At its best, DS9 was the best. Even in front of TNG. As a whole, VOY is still my overall favorite and it has less yawners.

20. Jayson1

Voyager better than Deep Space Nine.:eek: Why I think this might be my reaction to this.

Jason