Spoilers Season 3 wild speculation

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Dr Helen Noel, May 15, 2022.

1. TerryTrek

TerryTrek Captain Captain

Well everyone might as well be dead if the TNG/DS9/VOY timeline ends here and we don't see these characters again. There's a distinct possibility of that.

2. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I don't think Jack will die. It would be needlessly cruel on both of the hero characters and wouldn't exactly be in line with the nice send off they're getting. I think everything will end up well.

3. mikelima777

mikelima777 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think there will be a creative resolution that involves Jack's humanity, technobabble, the use of Enterprise-D's older computers, and Seven of Nine being a badass.

4. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

They can live on with your action figures. Or fanfic. Or dreams.

That tracks.

bookworm8571 likes this.
  5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

This misses the point, and potentially on purpose so I will just leave it be. You have your thoughts on it and I have mine. None of which is nihilistic, nor has nihilism been present in Trek.

6. TerryTrek

Yeah... no. I'm good with not supporting this franchise after this. :cool: It all ends in a great place.

Nihilism can work in good Star Trek, as we've seen with the Dominion War of the 90s.

However, it just doesn't fit narratively or tonally with this hopeful ending that is coming. This is the first time a Nu Trek season has an effective finale payoff that majority audience will love. And killing Jack would just undermine that..... and would just be poor storytelling.

7. Campe

Yeah, that’s yet to be seen. Not exactly holding my breath but we’ll see.

8. fireproof78

Nope, on all counts. Jack's death could carry meaning if done correctly or he could live.

It depends on the writing, not whether or not he dies. And saying that death is not effective and that audiences won't love it (ridiculous but whatever) ignores a good dramatic tool in the tool box.
    The way its talked up makes me think "No."

9. TerryTrek

Well it depends how it's received by the masses, not yourself. So far, it's doing it's job and seems to be a crowd pleaser. The social media chatter is brimming with positivity for how this narratively played out.

Well no. There's no point spending so much time and effort introducing and developing this 'next, next generation' character if they're just going to kill him off when he has so much potential as the face of the new generation.

It does come off as very anti-climactic. Of course good writers could do it, but would they want to?

We've already had a depressing ending for TNG with Nemesis, "The Last Generation" aims to right that ship... and it will be a hopeful ending. That's what majority audiences will want for these characters.

10. fireproof78

Yes, yes there is a point.

Again, ignores it and continues the claim that death must be depressing. And that a ship needed righting...SMH.

11. Campe

With all due respect, I couldn’t give a flying fuck about what social media, YouTube or anyone else thinks about anything. At the end of the day, the only opinion I care about is my own. Maybe my wife. But she doesn’t like Star Trek.

Ruufio and fireproof78 like this.
  12. fireproof78

Indeed. This appeal to the majority is wearing thin. No one is selling me on this positive story development. Just that "everyone likes it so you must too!"

Hmmm...maybe the Borg are more timely and appropriate than I realized...:shifty::borg:

SpocksOddSocks and Campe like this.
  13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The episode 10 guest stars with all the talk about family.

[​IMG]

14. TerryTrek

Cute.

I, on the other hand, do value what the majority fans and audience think.

I also care about positive word of mouth, for reasons like this;
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/streaming-tv-rankings-march-6-12-2023-2-1235373784/

15. Campe

Yeah, resistance isn’t futile.

We all have different opinions. And while I respect the appeal to my nostalgia which did in fact work this week on me , it doesn’t change the fact that the story in general hasn’t been great, isn’t logical and this episode, which I was really hoped would be a good turn just rang untrue to me.

Good for you. Good for social media. Good for the show. Don’t care about popularity. Care about my enjoyment.

fireproof78 and SJGardner like this.
  16. fireproof78

I, for one, would welcome Vin Disel in Star Trek.
    Indeed. Why should I value the majority opinion when people don't ask for mine?

eschaton, SJGardner and Campe like this.
  17. Campe

I have no skin in the game. That’s personally why I don’t care.

SJGardner and fireproof78 like this.
  18. fireproof78

True enough. It's impossible for me to have skin in the game. I own no stock in Paramount, have no vested interest in Matalas or other production companies. If they stopped tomorrow my life would carry on the same.

Hard for me to worry about the social media sphere when there is nothing in there that is for me, and vice versa.

Campe likes this.
  19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I've seen indications of it being 25th century. The 32nd century idea doesn't seem to be getting pushed as much lately.

DS9 Bashir Hates The Carpet 1a.jpg

Campe likes this.
  20. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

Now all I can think of is Todd Stashwick saying that exact same line about the Enterprise-D's carpeting and it made me even sadder that he's gone.

Campe and Ar-Pharazon like this.