Poll Season 3 Federation

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by F. King Daniel, Apr 28, 2019.

?

How would you like the Federation in season 3?

1. Blake's 7 (Federation BAD)

9.2%
  2. Andromeda (Federation GONE)

26.4%
  3. Nothing's really changed (Federation SAME)

29.9%
  4. Constant TCW madness (Federation TIME)

2.3%
  5. Civil War (Federation SPLIT)

10.3%
  6. Other (Federation PLEASE EXPLAIN)

21.8%
  1. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would work or maybe bump it forward a little so you have things like trains and steam engine boats and maybe limited projectile guns and riffles. The other way is something more like "Battlestar Galatica" were they are really us present day people but with a few nudges here and their that keeps it being a exact copy of our society. Like maybe they can travel in space but only have warp 2 and even if they could leave their system they are afraid to because the have heard scary stories about what is out their in the deepest reaches of Space. The Borg alone would make for a good futuristic Boogey Man even if nobody even really knows what a Borg even is.

Jason

SJGardner likes this.
  2. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

I wasn't thinking of literal medieval peasants either. With all the technology we've met during the years, there's ample potential for some seriously crazy technological and cultural mashups. I can totally imagine all kinds of *punks all over the place, depending on the planet. Or things like Klingon engines crudely welded to a hull cobbled together from a Starfleet saucer section and the central core of a Cardassian space station, crewed by the descendants of various unrelated species, wandering from system to system. I'd let the creative teams go batshit crazy.

3. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe something like Asimov's "Foundation" -- i.e., The Federation gone, but a group working in the shadows to preserve the positive aspects of the Federation and potentially bring it back.

When the Western Roman Empire fell, Europe entered into the Dark Ages. When the Federation falls, I expect there could be a similar galactic Dark Age.

Similar to Asimov's Foundation novels, a group in a post-Federation galaxy might still hold onto the knowledge and science of the past, attempting to preserve it and bring it into a new future. Maybe our heroes on the Discovery might happen upon that group, and both sides might help restore the Federation.

Asimov's premise for his Foundation series was patterned after the fall of the Roman Empire and the Dark ages, and then eventually a renaissance that follows. DSC could do a something where the Discovery becomes an agent for that galactic renaissance.

BillJ and SJGardner like this.
  4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

It depends, if they have Captains like Kirk & Picard, they end up losing a lot more Enterprises. If they leave off using the name for long periods or manage not to get them blown up in rapid succession, they might not get that far down the alphabet.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

There could be a connection...

For example: Daniels' society was probably aware of Discovery's jump into the future (I'm sure his group can detect any and all time travel, regardless of era). Perhaps they arranged for the ship to be directed into a "pocket universe"-style timeline where the sphere data can't do any more damage.

So even if DSC shows us a "fall of the Federation", it could be a fake future, not the real one.

That's how I'll rationalize it, anyway. :p As I said, I don't like the idea that the Federation could ever actually fall, because it makes all existing Trek futile - how can you watch it, knowing what will eventually happen? So this provides an easy way out. ;)

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Verteron likes this.
  6. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

We've pretty much been doing that already, knowing exactly what will happen to Spock and Pike and the Enterprise. So that's nothing new.

SJGardner likes this.
  7. SJGardner

I'd also be intrigued by something like Fallout 4's spin on the concept with the Institute, borne of the MIT retreating underground after a nuclear war to rebuild civilization, who have spent such a long time in complete isolation that the world had gone completely past anything they would've wanted to make out of it, and their own ideals have become distorted to the point of being unrecognizable... they state their end goal is to relight the flame of the old world and avoid its mistakes, but in the end, they just want to develop the world their way and rule over it as philosopher kings, convinced that they are the only ones with the knowledge to save the world from itself, and violently oppose anything the outside world creates independently of them.

I can imagine a secretive group operating behind the scenes in an attempt to rebuild the Federation, but in a way that's completely disconnected from the actual reality of the Alpha Quadrant around them, based on a rigid and overzealous, Ivory Tower interpretation of how things were, disregarding the actual cultures, needs and achievements of the people now living there, eventually getting into a conflict with a group of people who are actually building something completely new that's as idealistic and progressive as the Federation-That-Was had ever been.

Jackson_Roykirk likes this.
  8. Mr. Laser Beam

Individuals die. The Federation should not. It's greater than that.

XCV330 likes this.
  9. Soong-type Android

Soong-type Android Captain Captain

I wonder what Earth will be like in Season 3.

10. NewHeavensNewEarth

I get that, but on a grander scale, we've also watched 2 seasons of DSC where the Federation was facing mortal threats, knowing all along that it would survive into the TNG era and beyond, so for your earlier post about watchability in regards to foreknowledge, it applies here too with the Federation.

11. SJGardner

But the Federation "dying" doesn't mean it will disappear without a trace altogether and everything it stood for gets erased from history. The ancient Roman and Greek civilizations have been destroyed. Does that mean that their entire history and all their achievements have been in vain? They gave us Democracy and the Republic, the very ideals modern societies are based upon, not to mention all the technological and cultural achievements western culture is defined by today. Yes, there are many things that have been lost forever, like the second volume of Aristotle's Poetics, but just as many have survived. Even if the Federation is physically gone, its memory and its ideals will remain as the embers from which its fire could be relit again.

PiotrB and NewHeavensNewEarth like this.
  12. NewHeavensNewEarth

I can hear Burnham saying that in a voiceover narrative. ;)

F. King Daniel, PiotrB and SJGardner like this.
  13. Jackson_Roykirk

Hmmm, Interesting....And maybe the Discovery and the first-hand knowledge of the "real" Federation they possess could act as a wake-up call and an education for this secretive group living in their ivory tower with their inaccurate interpretation of what the Federation was.

It could be something like Kirk teaching the Yangs and the Kohms that the "holy words" of the U.S. Constitution are intended to be for all people treated as equals.

SJGardner likes this.
  14. Jackson_Roykirk

A barbarian world that has reverted back to the dark and savage times of the early 21st-century. ;)

Soong-type Android likes this.
  15. SJGardner

Based on how her monologues are usually received, I'm not sure if I should feel honored or insulted :lol:

F. King Daniel and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  16. Mr. Laser Beam

With all this talk of the death of the Federation, I hope it's still there...

Knowing that the Federation will survive doesn't ruin things. Knowing it won't survive, on the other hand... :(

Because that worked out oh so well on Andromeda. :lol: :(

17. NewHeavensNewEarth

Honored! I like her monologues, although I wouldn't be upset if they stopped doing them.

PiotrB and SJGardner like this.
  18. SJGardner

Well, that's the problem of Andromeda rather than the concept itself, isn't it? At least that's how I see it. It's not the only story about rebuilding civilization out there.

PiotrB and NewHeavensNewEarth like this.
  19. Mr. Laser Beam

If the Federation really has gone, Saru is going to have to give one HELL of a motivational speech. Crew morale will be in the toilet...there's probably going to be a fair amount who will just say the hell with it and settle on Terralysium (I'm assuming that if the Federation is no more, its member worlds would be out of the question as well).

Tilly, for example, will be like "I worked my ass off in the command training program...and for what?" :lol:

20. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Maybe a little scared that they'll actually use the idea?