Poll Season 3 Federation

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by F. King Daniel, Apr 28, 2019.

?

How would you like the Federation in season 3?

1. Blake's 7 (Federation BAD)

9.2%
  2. Andromeda (Federation GONE)

26.4%
  3. Nothing's really changed (Federation SAME)

29.9%
  4. Constant TCW madness (Federation TIME)

2.3%
  5. Civil War (Federation SPLIT)

10.3%
  6. Other (Federation PLEASE EXPLAIN)

21.8%
  1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

SPOILERS, obviously.

Season 3 will take place around 930 years further into the future, where almost no Trek has gone before. The short "Calypso" gave us some hints about the far future of the Trekverse, where Craft's people are fighting against a distortion of the name "Federation", but the placement of that is ambiguous. Voyager and Enterprise's versions of the future (29th and 30th centuries) were obsessed with time travel (Daniels learned how to send a message to his past self as a child in school)

My guess is that the Federation has fallen and it's up to Michael Burnham and friends to rebuild it, Andromeda-style. This monumental task will take 14 episodes.

Gepard and guyute03 like this.
  2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Right - I'm not sure it tells us anything about where Discovery lands. It's actually pretty easy to hand-wave away as being in the 43rd century or there about.

Deledrius likes this.
  3. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

I voted other, because nothing would fit this idea in my opinion, but I guess with the Discovery being 50 thousand light years away from Earth, it might be that the region they find themselves in is not a part of Federation space even in the future. So to collect my ideas sprinkled through other threads, my favorite depiction of the 32nd century Federation would be an outside-context, mysterious force, looming just beyond the horizon. Basically, Discovery would be a Roman Legion transported into pre-Columbian Mesoamerica, just before the Spanish arrive. In my dream Season 3, we wouldn't yet meet the Federation itself, only hearing something along the lines of medieval sailors' and traders' tall tales about mythical Cathay, and throughout the season, it would slowly dawn on the crew that these stories were about the Federation all along, as the V'Draysh fleet finally arrives to establish a beachhead there in the finale. And we'd only learn their intentions after that.

4. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I don’t think we are going to find out much about Federation next season. If they wanted to do 32nd century Federation stories they would have created a new series. The focus has to be on Discovery.

I expect they encounter another problem that is not Federation related and it will be the season arc.

If there is any contact with Federation it will not happen until the last episode of the season.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    JoeCabby, ScottJ85, guyute03 and 3 others like this.
  5. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I don't know what to expect. In the history of man what is the longest any government or organization has lasted? We are talking basically 1000 years......going backwards from now that would put us before The Battle of Hastings during the time that Vikings were raiding the coast of England......1000 years is a LONG time!

6. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Has there ever been a civil war in the Federation? That might be interesting to explore.

Paul Weaver and KennyB like this.
  7. GhostLoveScore

GhostLoveScore Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm afraid they will go with apocalyptic future. Where Federation is gone, people are starving...

8. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

I'd like to see a massively changed non-evil Federation that is just very different and way more advanced than the one we know, with new traditions and cultural customs. And it would be nice to bring Sisko back, since we only learnt in the DS9 finale that he may return in a different time.

Also would be nice if the hybrids we heard about in Enterprise would play a major role in the story.

I hope the Federation of the future plays a big part in the story.

Phil123, Blooded, Jesse1066 and 2 others like this.
  9. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Other. Hopefully they are 900 years and unreachable thousands of lightyears away from the Federation. Simply not interested in that "future Federation" story.

Yes sir. Hopefully this is correct.

10. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Discovery in the Federation of the 32nd Century would be like someone from the 12th Century suddenly ending up in the United States of the 21st Century. And it would go just about as well.

The Discovery crew would be in custody. Every historian, sociologist, and anthropologist would be studying them or examining them. They'd be on display as an example of what "primitive" people were like. Or they'd be put through some rigorous reintegration program.

The Federation wouldn't be a friend to the crew. Or they'd be the worst kind of friend: the one who wants to "help". Discovery would be a Lab Rat who has to escape.

11. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Ok now that has to be a show. Time Legion.
    Putting time in front of stuff makes it sound cool.

This for me too I think. I've got some interest in the influence of the Federation, but at a distance.

I don't want them to end up at future Earth in episode 1, as a) I think we'd end up doing one of the obvious options in the poll and it would be tiresome and b) there will be little reason for the ship and crew to stay together and have adventures in that setting.

I'm worried about their ability to portray human society of a millennium later without cliché or nihilism, and as such I'd rather Discovery was away from it.

The option I'd want least is a time traveling Federation. Although it makes sense by Trek's ever evolving abilities in that area that time travel would be child's play by the 32nd Century, I don't think it makes for good storytelling in that frame, and it would raise the constant question of why they can't just send the crew home.

SJGardner and Vger23 like this.
  12. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I want to see a Federation that isn't *bad*, so much as a lot worse than it should be and in need of course correction and guidance. Basically, the Discovery crew ends up needing to fulfill the sort of designated survivor, "best of us" role that the Federation sent Pike and the Enterprise away from the Klingon War for - but without Pike there. And I'm not saying there would be room for a lot of metaphors and analogies to be drawn to the present United States, but, well, yeah.
    Probably the Catholic Church? Though the government of the Ukraine has had a pretty good run, too, if you allow that it's still been the same entity going under and coming back out from under Soviet rule.

It's worth considering that our ever-improving means of keeping records are a stabilizing force on culture drift. I think people of 2219 will be less different from us than the people of 1819 were. People in 2219 will probably still watch reruns of The Office. ;)

serabine likes this.
  13. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Right, and for me, the future is the future. I'm not sure that adding almost 1000 years to our already-future setting does anything for me. I've seen the future. I don't care about seeing the future of the future.

It really only leaves two options:

1. At the rate technology progresses, the advancements of 1000 years would be virtually magical. To me that's not interesting, and the writers would have a very tough time portraying that realistically. It also has the effect, as many have pointed out, of making the Discovery and her Tech seem as outdated as an ancient raft compared to a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier. No thanks.

2. A dystopian "fall of the Federation" story that allows them to avoid the issues above. But, this is such an obvious and horribly unwelcome cliche storyline....I REALLY hope they avoid it.

So set it far in the future and far enough away in the Galaxy where the challenges are completely new and disconnected.

guyute03, SJGardner and cultcross like this.
  14. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

I don't want any Federation at all
    Just stand alone stories of Discovery accepting her lot and trying to survive far away from their home, and time.
    Until at season's finale, at least one of the crew gets back (Georgiou)

guyute03 and Vger23 like this.
  15. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I don't want an Andromeda reboot, and the B7 Evil Federation would basically be the MU Terran Federation (which, bluntly, is even the same fucking *name* as Blake's 7's Federation), which we've already done. Much as I want Empress Gorgeous to be its Servalan.

cultcross likes this.
  16. dinzy

dinzy Captain Captain

Drinking Jippers on a beach somewhere in MD
    I am going with the Federation being the "same" however there will be some other power that caused them to be less relevant, if at all, to the S3 story. So the V'Draysh are just the other side in some war, not necessarily the bad guys.

There would be way too much backlash if the Federation was evil in the future. It seems that the writers are trying not to piss too many people off.

17. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nothing lasts 1000 years and looks completely the same. I say the Federation is gone. Yes, we know the V'draysh is an evil force, but that's probably not the Fed as we know it.

Nyotarules, serabine and KennyB like this.
  18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally, I think the Federation is the same, or close to it, while Discovery is just outside of their sphere of influence in some way.

saddestmoon and Mr. Laser Beam like this.
  19. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Maybe. We have finite natural resources, our population growth is unsustainable, the economy is a slow-motion train wreck in progress that will screw over most people born after 1970 in one form or another, and we need people in charge who actually take these problems seriously.

If those are all solved, then I hope all The Office fans in 2219 will give Parks and Recreation a try too.

20. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

You realize that's just a 200 year jump........