Season 3 Course Correction

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by vess, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

I spent the last few weeks angrily bitching about how fanwanky the show has become and criticized DSC S2 numerous times in this very thread and elsewhere on this board for course changing in a direction that's more traditional Trek. I VERY angrily commented on S02E02 in particular for being a boring copy of 90s Trek.
    Believe me, MY love has conditions: Do something new, bold and exciting

JoeP, PiotrB, Succubint and 4 others like this.
  2. Hythlodeus

how old do you think I am?

3. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I myself am over 40 and I love the new interpretations of Trek we have been offered up in the post-Berman era.

People take it so PERSONALLY when a tv show or movie isn't to their liking. Like, someone sat down and said "how do we deliberately piss Dave and Chet off with this movie/show?"

Give me a break.

JoeP, saddestmoon, Lord Garth and 4 others like this.
  4. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I’m over 50 and he’s right. Moreover, while disregarding the over 40 crowd is unwise economically, you assume facts not in evidence. I’ve been watching, continuously, all of Trek since 1973. I’m 51 years old, white, male, heterosexual—and DSC is my second favourite Trek series and the Abrams directed films are, by far, my favourite Trek movies. I don’t feel disregarded in the slightest. I do feel disrespected by the likes of you for presuming to speak for “the older fans”, though. You don’t have a monopoly on how the “over-40” group feels about the latest Trek (and going by how my fellow 50+ Trek fans among my friends feel, you don’t speak for them either).

JoeP, saddestmoon, PiotrB and 7 others like this.
  5. Vger23

I disagree with you. You have been thoughtfully critical, but nothing you've posted has come off as "angrily bitching".

There's a massive difference.

JoeP, PiotrB, Turtletrekker and 2 others like this.
  6. Hythlodeus

okay. I FELT I was angrily bitching

Alan Roi and Vger23 like this.
  7. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Normally I'd reply with something else, but today I'm going to say the Hell with it.

Bring on Picard with Total Lens Flare!

saddestmoon, Vger23, PiotrB and 3 others like this.
  8. Vger23

I hope Picard punches a peaceful ambassador from Haven while eating a cheeseburger, with lens flares and witty dialogue all around him in the very first episode.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

You call old Trek fans toxic? The Orville fan base is one of the reasons I can't get into the show. Likewise with Rick and Morty.

10. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

Its a copy of a show and blatantly trades on being a facsimilie. Sometimes it improves on the material its plagiarizing sometimes it doesn't. If you think that's what 'better' is then that's very telling when you would rather be..

JoeP, Lord Garth, Succubint and 2 others like this.
  11. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There’s no plagiarism

12. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Wow...
    I'm kinda glad this 60 year-old-fogey and Trekkie came to this half of the party late...
    :eek:

13. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

I waved goodbye to 40 a few years ago and I love Discovery. I don't mind nostalgia. I like a good effort like Star Trek Continues just as a love note, but I don't want to wallow in it either. I think there are people who want to, but i don't think it's across the board by age either. Reactionary doesn't seem to know age limits.

I was travelling out of state in an office (in a small town in Alabama, I must admit) where I heard a bunch of dudes, probably randing from late 20's to 40's, having a discussion about TOS of all things, talking about how that was the REAL star trek and honestly just having a good-ole-boys mysoginistic back slap party and somehow incorporated TOS into it. I don't want to go into details.

I was just passing through, didn't work there so I might not have read the context. But there is a class of people who have embraced stuff like nationalism, the alt right, mysoginy and I have seen first hand that somehow they hve attempted to co-opt TOS into that. I don't know how thair brains work that in, but im pretty sure their brains are already mangled enough.

JoeP, PiotrB, Succubint and 1 other person like this.
  14. Bgt

Bgt Commander Red Shirt

Oh fans of Berman era, am I supposed to be one?
    Too many assumptions in your reply. Like that everyone who finds Discovery bad must be a 90's stuff lover (btw are we referring to TNG?? I didn know that the fanbase is divided between TNG and TOS).
    All I know is that Discovery has nothing to do (quality wise) with TOS. And it has (not so boldly) gone to where we have been before, again and again and again, because they do not know/dare to do anything else. They are incapable to revive the franchise, they are incompetent to offer something new, they will keep re-re-re-imagining Spock (or Picard next).
    Let me be a bit cautious about the new Picard series. Unless it hopefully end ups leading to a new phase of Star Trek, Picard new series could be just another safe bet. Who can resist Picard (or Spock)?
    But can all this recycling keep the ST franchise alive?

15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is little evidence that this represents the feelings of the majority, any more than YT represents the majority of DSC haters.

Why not engage in actual meaningful discussion regarding why DSC doesn't work, instead of meaningless accusations towards the fandom?

The production team (thus far) has demonstrated more awareness of TOS and its past, and this fan (who prefers TOS and Captain Pike over all the other captains-aside from Robaeu) is pleased to see that history is acknowledged.

JoeP, saddestmoon, Lord Garth and 5 others like this.
  16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Hit the big 6-0 myself two months ago. Loving the DISCO.

JoeP, saddestmoon, Lord Garth and 5 others like this.
  17. Alan Roi

Actually us hipsters *are* the eldest faction (check out the etymology of hipster). I certainly find it interesting how a lot of us are enjoying this as much as new fans while the middle bulge of not young/not old in fandom are the ones having conniptions it would seem..

JoeP, Lord Garth and Vger23 like this.
  18. Alan Roi

The Crew of the Disco seem pretty bold to me. But what do I know? I've only been splitting infinitives myself since the 70s and have been called an 'old hippy' since I was in my 30s..

19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No. But, we hadn't seen Pike beyond a clip episode until the Cage was released. I am quite happy to have him.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

There's nothing wrong with mixing the old and the new to form new stories.

JoeP, saddestmoon, PiotrB and 4 others like this.