Season 13 starts shooting in a few weeks

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Sep 11, 2020.

1. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

DenOfGeek has a couple of pics and a synopsis and some (maybe) mild spoilers (just a line from Walsh at NY ComicCon, could mean anything) for the Xmas Special.

I like the nice little touch with the wall-scrawl in Jodie's pic, but why is she using that notation? Or indeed bothering at all, given she should have internal time sense? Mind you, given 11's reaction to boredom in The Power Of Three, it might be minutes not days! ;)

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor...-daleks-release-date-trailer-cast-story-news/

Starkers likes this.
  2. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. StCoop

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not that I'm trying to be a cynic or a wet blanket or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if going forward eight episode seasons became the new standard. I'm not being critical, and indeed should it happen I'd have no objections.

Meanwhile, the article seems to indicate that Revolution of the Daleks will be airing New Year's Day. I guess a New Year's Day episode is now the new tradition. Again, no objections to that from me.

5. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Ouch baby. Very ouch.

Yep, I think that's probably what's going to happen. Even once they get over things like filming delays, the expense of testing etc I'm sure the BBC will keep it at 8 as a cost cutting measure. It's a shame but seems likely.

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Rough but it's better than nothing.

Considering so many British shows have less episodes per series, 13 episodes annually was a big bonus.

Of course, cue certain fans who will scream and cry bloody murder and how Chibnall has ruined the show and the fans deserve more, etc.

The Wormhole likes this.
  7. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure that the 2021/2022 "Holiday Special" doesn't count as one of the 8 episodes Chibnall is talking about just based on established precedent.

8. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Lots of British shows did/do 6 episode series', but generally they go off every year.

Red Dwarf was, outside of VII, VIII and BTE, always 6 episodes. Vicious too, albeit only 2 series'.

But, 6 or 7 episode series' plus great zoggin' gaps is getting a little tiresome.

9. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

In 2020, possibly. Notice how the 2009 "V" remake and even "Red Dwarf: Back to Earth" from the same year use computer-controlled CGI. A lot of which has dated since, but those still sells the scenes well enough and it's the dialogue that's the focal point to begin with. It could be done. Especially if they don't go hog-wild with over the top ship interiors that culled the claustrophobic feel in the way that "V" had. RD-BTE did it right.

Uncreative at times, but the idea of Time Lord bodies inside Cybermen definitely had some moments for future potential, and as far as organic biological spongy bits goes, a time lord brain would outlast any organic blop for some time - even before the need to regenerate. Most new stuff is innovated and not pure creation, it's how well it's done. "Spyfall" had some moments of brilliance, and to be fair I'd completely forgotten about the crass RTD-era story where he re-used the idea of companions having to hide off the grid. Chibs did that thing a hell of a lot better and more effectively. And it's not the newest trope being used either. The historical characters and reintroduction of the Master were so much better too than in RTD's era.

That said, it's still sad that we had to see Gallifrey get destroyed and brought back again. Happens more time than a yo-yo at this point... unless the Master made it up just to wind up the Doctor with and that gets revealed in a later episode?

10. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, lots of British shows have fewer episodes and do with gaps of years and years between series.
    Is this what we want with Doctor Who in future?

I know people don't like this idea but i'll say it again. Give it to netflix. Give the show the budget and episode run it deserves. It's a show up there with other Sci-fi greats, loved around the world. Let it shine.

I think the precedent is to include the holiday special in the episode count.

11. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

And "Neverwhere" too, so it's not just comedies that are limited in episode count. Classic WHO had more or less 6 stories per year, albeit at 4 to 8 episodes per story...

12. DigificWriter

The Holiday Specials have been filmed during the production period of the seasons they either follow or precede in broadcast order, but are officially considered to be separate standalone entities from those seasons.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  13. StCoop

Jinn likes this.
  14. The Wormhole

Actually, I'm pretty sure it does. Chibnall even says "eight episodes rather than the usual eleven." Since eleven would include the holiday specials, by saying eight he is presumably also including a holiday special.

Allyn Gibson and Jinn like this.
  15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm going to have to side with @DigificWriter here, usually with this kind of things these kind of holiday specials are usually considered their own thing outside of the season count.
    The special was filmed last year, so when they are talking about how many episodes they are going to be doing for the next season, it's not going to be counted since it's already done.

16. The Wormhole

Then how else do you explain the "eleven episodes" comment if holiday specials aren't being counted?

Jinn likes this.
  17. DigificWriter

Check the BBC website:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006q2x0/episodes/player

Doctor Who Specials are produced as part of a given season, but are not counted as part of that season directly.

18. The Wormhole

Then how do you explain Chibnall's comment about "eleven episodes" if he's not counting the holiday specials?

Jinn likes this.
  19. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not really, lots of BBC drama series (Death in Paradise, Silent Witness) are 8 or 10 60m episodes.
    This year may lead to cutbacks (Holby City just returned at 45m not 60, His Dark Materials is 7x50 not 8x60), but 7/8 of 50 every 18 months is less than average for the BBC.

20. DigificWriter

There may not be a 2021/3022 Holiday Special.