Spoilers SDCC season 3 news thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by King Daniel Beyond, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Kang, now with ridges Premium Member

Know a lot of Cleveland Bookers?
    Number One is my guess.

AJ Hawker and antinoos like this.
  2. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

You keep saying this, and I keep not getting why I'm supposed to think their failure to make use of an existing setting means they'll be really good at exploiting an original setting. It's the same people making the same show. Tighter spandex and smaller tricorders aren't going to change the overstuffed plotting and broadsword characterization, it just means that they won't get automatic "tens" for putting Talosians or red warp nacelles on screen like production-design stunt-casting. No, they'll have to do that by showing T-1000 Borg drones, or Captain Braxton's time police.

I know that's the trope, but I'm not sure that's correct. Like, it seems like what we're getting with CBSAA's Star Trek shows is what the Terrible Internet People wanted from the new Star Wars movies. Fanservice, fanservice, fanservice. Luke and Han, kicking ass and making you feel like it's 1980 again and the world is new, but with decades of in-jokes and fan lore. You watch the Short Treks and Picard trailers back-to-back, and you begin with a twelve-year-old shitpost from this board, and end with two characters talking about how they wish the '90s never ended and they could've been kings of syndication television forever. For all the talk about returning optimism about the future, this is very backwards-looking.

Generally people don't seem to be responding that well to pure nostalgia bait. Well enough for the trend not to have died (though we'll see how the Lion King remake shakes out this weekend), but if CBSAA's presentation today was really that indicative of contemporary culture's longing for the familiar, we wouldn't be going five to ten years between each disappointing Men in Black sequel.

Phoenix219, RedAlert and BillJ like this.
  3. BillJ

BillJ History’s Greatest Monster Premium Member

Overall, I’m higher on what CBS has produced, I liked the Picard and Short Treks trailers, but agree with the point you are making. Nostalgia can only carry the brand so far.

OCD Geek and Longinus like this.
  4. pst

pst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i'm not sure how i feel about the franchise as it stands right now, but i actually didn't see the star trek: picard trailer for the rank nostalgia it could've been. star trek is itself so guilty of just keeping people in stasis because it doesn't matter how old shatner gets, we gotta stuff him in his starfleet uniform, etc. this feels like an attempt to move the characters along, even if we are returning to ones we knew 20-30 years ago. but it's an ongoing franchise and a living, breathing fictional world. picard looks to be pulling in threads from the long dormant prime universe, hitting a few nostalgia buttons, and also forging ahead with a new story. we'll see how it goes, but i was left thinking maybe CBS-AA should've started with this.

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

While I agree with your general sentiment the market has not demonstrated a willingness to explore anything beyond that. So, the studios are obliging. Fandom spent years showcasing that they like TOS style Trek, and war stories through fan films and the Kelvin films. Then, the moment they try something a little bit different, fans complain, start petitions, and create negative word of mouth.

Why, if you were a studio, would you produce something new? Why take the risk?

I wish I could have your optimism, which is usually something I try to encourage in everyone with this franchise. But, watching that trailer felt like an action/adventure nostalgia romp. So, I am less than enthused, especially with bringing the Borg back. I had really hoped that storyline was dead.

BeatleJWOL and pst like this.
  6. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Like James Kirk or Leonard McCoy are bastions of originality?

antinoos likes this.
  7. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's worth pointing out that trailers in particular are going to lean heavily on nostalgia, and emphasise familiar elements perhaps notes than the shows themselves.

BeatleJWOL, AJ Hawker and pst like this.
  8. BillJ

BillJ History’s Greatest Monster Premium Member

You would expect people to be a little better at it fifty-plus years later. :shrug:

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

Here's my thing. When people try to come up with future sounding names they sound completely unbelievable. Unoriginal at least feels a little more grounded to me, than something stupid and scifi sounding.

And, no, I don't expect people to be better 50 years later. These people haven't been working on Star Trek for 50 years!

BeatleJWOL and grendelsbayne like this.
  10. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the Picard trailer. I feel better about the show now. That being said, something about the production design felt a bit off. While I was glad to see the return of the TOS-style Romulans (it was a stylistic choice I was also happy to see in Star Trek '09), the makeup looks off for them or the Vulcans. It also looked off for Seven of Nine (seeing her in the trailer was a pleasant surprise; it would be great if there is a DS9 character that also is in the series) . And the color of Data's eyes were off. I liked the look of a lot of the costuming, ships, and Borg cube. Overall, I'm intrigued.

I liked David Ajala in Supergirl. Not a fan of the name "Cleveland Booker". It made me think of Cleveland Brown and then Shepherd Book. I think they could've come up with a better name than that.

I also thought the Short Trek teaser was okay. I am curious to see more exploration of the Pike era and I wouldn't mind if it leads to a spin off show with Pike and Spock or one with Number One in command of another starship. I haven't seen most of Discovery Season 2 yet, and Ethan Peck's Spock voice sounds too deep. Leonard Nimoy's voice was resonant, but it didn't sound so full of bass.

RedAlert likes this.
  11. Nerys Myk

I'm having a hard time identifying the problem. The names aren't common but not unheard off. :shrug:

12. captain crow

captain crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's Pike dropping off the Captain from the Tribble short to her ship.
    [​IMG]

King Daniel Beyond and pst like this.
  13. Nerys Myk

No black collars Nod to the TOS pilots?

lawman, XCV330 and King Daniel Beyond like this.
  14. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're making a lot of assumptions. Until we actually see any episodes from the third season, all we're really doing is comparing our hypotheticals.

But, even though I'm looking forward to them, I can see your point about the Shorts and the Picard Trailer.

15. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Commodore Commodore

At this point it would be more "diverse" to have a new straight white male character on the show. Especially considering you know, there aren't any, since Pike left. Incredible.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  16. Nerys Myk

Life is so hard.

17. Antediluvia

Antediluvia Ensign Newbie

Is there a non-region locked preview for the Short Trek? Us Canucks get screwed everytime

18. pst

pst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

something’s incredible.

19. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

20. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored That's not... ahhhh... logical, man Moderator

You are reply banned from this thread, as per your warning here. If you continue only posting about this one-note grudge against women and feminism and continue derailing threads you will continue receiving warnings. Move on.